Advice please: 33s and a lift that makes sense

In5ane1

Not trying to replicate the whole "what lift should I buy" threads. Basically I have two kits im choosing from. I have a few questions from those who have had experience.

Im choosing from teraflex leveling kit and the 2.5 coil lift, no higher. Why...?

I have the 2013 jku with 3.21 gearing. So id have to do a lot before running 35s. Im fine with 33s for my needs. Notbsure if ill ever run 35s.

With that in mind:

1.) Is 2.5 coils overkill for 33s? Seems like it would make 33s look small.

2.) I plan to eventually run a heavier front bumper and winch, so I was leaning towards coils (building for future upgrades). Would the performance leveling kit with coils be a better option than the leveling spacers? I believe my current springs are 16 in front and 56 or 57 in rear. Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks in advance!

Love this forum because there is lots of good advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spartan

I haven't used either of the those, but I did have the TF BB with shock exstentions on my 2010 JKUR. It was a great little kit that gives you plenty of room for 35's if you have flat fenders. I think with stock fenders 33's would be just fine, and still have some room for flex. Only thing I would say is that you might want to get some Rubi shocks from someone of buy they right lenght shocks. Just so you have some alittle nicer then the stock X/sport shocks.

fredfunk

I recently put on a Rancho spring lift. It was under $300 (after rebate) and came with the 9000xl fully adjustable shocks (which are amazing) so you might want to look at those kits as well.
http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B007ISVZ1K

As far as 2.5" of lift with 33" tires... My lift came out right at 3" and I think it looks pretty good with my 33's, but you can judge for yourself...

20130811_165200.jpg

Another option you may want to consider if you end up going with a leveling kit is picking up some stiffer OEM coils... Most people that get lifts installed at a dealership don't want the stock coils back so the dealerships just SCRAP them. In my experience, $20 will get you a free trip to the scrap pile... I picked up some literally brand new coils off a 2013 JKU Sahara that gave me over an inch lift and better towing performance on the rear of my sport (the rancho kit is a mix - coils in front / spacers in rear).

Briguy114

Keep in mind that Teraflex springs will usually give you about an inch more lift than advertised. Not sure about the performance leveling springs

In5ane1

I recently put on a Rancho spring lift. It was under $300 (after rebate) and came with the 9000xl fully adjustable shocks (which are amazing) so you might want to look at those kits as well.
http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B007ISVZ1K

As far as 2.5" of lift with 33" tires... My lift came out right at 3" and I think it looks pretty good with my 33's, but you can judge for yourself...

View attachment 44237

Another option you may want to consider if you end up going with a leveling kit is picking up some stiffer OEM coils... Most people that get lifts installed at a dealership don't want the stock coils back so the dealerships just SCRAP them. In my experience, $20 will get you a free trip to the scrap pile... I picked up some literally brand new coils off a 2013 JKU Sahara that gave me over an inch lift and better towing performance on the rear of my sport (the rancho kit is a mix - coils in front / spacers in rear).

You gained 3" from a 2" kit?

Also thats a good price on amazon...but the desription isnt very good. There is a 2 door and 4 door kit...this one doesnt specify.

fredfunk

I gained 3" measured in the FRONT (this is a leveling kit, so the rear will be lifted less than the front)...
Remember though, I have a 2dr sport with no options (light weight!) so YMMV.

Both the 2dr and 4dr Rancho kits use the same front coils, so all other things being equal (bumper, winch, options, etc), the 2dr will always get more lift in the front than a 4dr, since it weighs less. In fact, the only difference in the two kits is that the 2dr kit comes with TALLER rear spacers to match the effectively taller (3") coil lift in the front.

On your stock 4dr, you should get ~2.5" out of the lift with the stock bumper and ~2" with a bumper/winch... the shocks have a little longer travel than stock, so make sure you install the bump stops. If you don't have quite the lift you want after you put on the winch, you should be able to get away with up to an additional 1" spacer in the front later on if you want to go higher (back up to 3") without having to get new shocks (which are the best part of the kit). If you plan on going higher than 3" obviously look elsewhere, but if 2-3" is where you want to be, this kit is hard to beat.

Oh yeah, and this kit does NOT come with swaybar end links... I put the rears in the front and then cut the fronts in half and welded in an extension bar so that they would be a custom fit for my rear.

The amazon kit is the 4dr.

American outlaw

I'm in the same position ... Subscribed ! I was thinking of doing performance leveling kit. Save up and drop in new shocks. Then run 33s and have a solid starting point. Was thinking about evo in frame d ring mounts and a small bumper up front to save on weight. Mine is a daily driver and at least for a good few years I won't go above 33s.

mattfl

Not trying to replicate the whole "what lift should I buy" threads. Basically I have two kits im choosing from. I have a few questions from those who have had experience.

Im choosing from teraflex leveling kit and the 2.5 coil lift, no higher. Why...?

I have the 2013 jku with 3.21 gearing. So id have to do a lot before running 35s. Im fine with 33s for my needs. Notbsure if ill ever run 35s.

With that in mind:

1.) Is 2.5 coils overkill for 33s? Seems like it would make 33s look small.

2.) I plan to eventually run a heavier front bumper and winch, so I was leaning towards coils (building for future upgrades). Would the performance leveling kit with coils be a better option than the leveling spacers? I believe my current springs are 16 in front and 56 or 57 in rear. Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks in advance!

Love this forum because there is lots of good advice.

I'm running 3.25" lift with 35s on 3.21 gears and have 0 issues. Why do you think there's a lot more you'll have to do to run 35s? I went to 33s right after I got my Jeep thinking I'd wait a while to goto 35s, that was a mistake, I had the 33s sold within 3 months and 35 nitto trail grapplers installed and never looked back.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
The difference between our 2dr/4r 2" SPORT system is the spacer used in the rear.
Yes the front sits a tad higher, we account for a bumper/winch and a little settling over time.

On my JK it netted about 5" (5.25") on our 4" springs. I am now about 4.25" after a few months on it.

Last edited:

In5ane1

On this rancho 2" lift...will my front sit up too much in the front? Dont like the squatty look.

In5ane1

I'm running 3.25" lift with 35s on 3.21 gears and have 0 issues. Why do you think there's a lot more you'll have to do to run 35s? I went to 33s right after I got my Jeep thinking I'd wait a while to goto 35s, that was a mistake, I had the 33s sold within 3 months and 35 nitto trail grapplers installed and never looked back.

35s from what ive seen need c gussets and such welded on the dana 30.

Also...what did this do to your power? 35s would be pretty heavy.

Last edited:

mattfl

35s from what ive seen need c gussets and such welded on the dana 30.

Not sure where you've seen that but I've wheeled this shit outta my rig and haven't had any issues, hell my friend had 37s on his D30 and wheeled with no issues.

In5ane1

Not sure where you've seen that but I've wheeled this shit outta my rig and haven't had any issues, hell my friend had 37s on his D30 and wheeled with no issues.

There was a big thread I believe on this forum. I believe you...just saying what ive read.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
On this rancho 2" lift...will my front sit up too much in the front? Dont like the squatty look.

It will sit a bit, but not over the top.

Jeepocotillorun2_zps80811ffa.jpg

Stock BTW with our 2" system.

2013_2quotSPORT.jpg

Tackerdown

Banned
Will he have to worry about his drive shaft boot if the spings lift to much or if he gets shocks and not shock extensions
That alow to much droop? Also curious, at what point does he need exhaust spacers?
Sent from my SPH-L720

Top Bottom