Track bar help

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, ill be ordering a 2014 JKU soon (as soon as the new colors get released) and was going to throw on a minor lift. I was looking at the AEV 2.5", but want to add a few parts to make the lift 100%. I don't like using brackets for trackbars because they change the angles that the drag link and trackbar operate at. So, I wanted to replace the trackbar relocation bracket with a real trackbar. Now, I just saw a Facebook post by Mel showing an aftermarket trackbar snapping at the threads, because it was made in china. I wanted to ask all the resident pros here, what is a good quality trackbar that I can use to properly recenter my axle and not have to worry about it snapping? Metal cloak, JKS, etc. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

FrankenJeeper

I went with JKS and I am pleased with my purchase.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tranquillity

My track bar will need to be replaced eventually as well. I'm still trying to decide between JKS and Rock Krawler. :thinking:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yea, a 2.5" lift doesn't warrant a drag link flip kit, and I don't want the OEM track bar on a bracket and the OEM drag link operating at different angles (crappy steering.) So I figured I'd pony up for a new track bar (although I know that the OEM one is very good) but didn't want one that will snap like a twig. I suspect the one Mel posted is a Teraflex TB, but Im not sure.

rtguy1

The aev 2.5" kit does not have a front trackbar bracket. You retain the factory mounting points and factory front trackbar. All an adjustable is going to do up front is move your axle back to center an 1/8". Basically a waste of money. I'm using factory trackbars now and they are all you need. I have coilovers front and rear and long arms. The kit does however utilize a rear trackbar bracket and a factory style new trackbar with a slightly different bend to it for clearance. Run the kit like it is with the geometry correction brackets or new front adjustable lower control arms and be done. I ran that kit for a year while saving up for my build and never had a single issue. I used the brackets and it rode good. A bit stiff for my taste when it was empty due to the progressive coils.

Hope this helps save you money.

StrizzyChris

I think the bar in the pic is a teraflex monster. Many people having problems with the first generation of it doing that. Not sure about their newer version

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the track bar in question was made by TeraFlex. While a new adjustable front track bar really isn't necessary for just 2.5" of lift, one will help you to recenter your axle and, as others have said, I've had good experiences with the newer JKS ones.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thank you guys. Money aside, it won't hurt anything adding a quality trackbar for a 2.5" lift correct? How about the rear, should I get a rear one as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you guys. Money aside, it won't hurt anything adding a quality trackbar for a 2.5" lift correct? How about the rear, should I get a rear one as well?

Won't hurt anything if you do or don't add an adjustable front track bar. I would definitely install a relocation bracket or adjustable track bar in the rear as the axle shift you would see without one would be enough to cause your driver side tire's side wall to sit dangerously close to the sway bar link end.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Won't hurt anything if you do or don't add an adjustable front track bar. I would definitely install a relocation bracket or adjustable track bar in the rear as the axle shift you would see without one would be enough to cause your driver side tire's side wall to sit dangerously close to the sway bar link end.

Thanks eddie. From what I hear, the adjustable front will let me recenter my front axle, which will be about 1/4" off. Sure, it's no big deal, but I'm OCD, and would like it to be "dead on balls accurate." As for the rear, does your recommendation of a JKS trackbar stand as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks eddie. From what I hear, the adjustable front will let me recenter my front axle, which will be about 1/4" off. Sure, it's no big deal, but I'm OCD, and would like it to be "dead on balls accurate." As for the rear, does your recommendation of a JKS trackbar stand as well?

Well, your OCD may not want to know this but, being that Jeeps come with solid axles, they will always be off to one side or the other depending on how many people you're carrying, how much gas you have in your tank and/or how loaded up you are. Just thought I would put that out there.

Regarding rear track bars, I actually do not like the JKS one as the jam nut is located on the passenger side and can make contact with your coil depending on how much it bows. It's also harder to adjust. I personally would install a relocation bracket in the rear over an adjustable unit.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, your OCD may not want to know this but, being that Jeeps come with solid axles, they will always be off to one side or the other depending on how many people you're carrying, how much gas you have in your tank and/or how loaded up you are. Just thought I would put that out there.

Regarding rear track bars, I actually do not like the JKS one as the jam nut is located on the passenger side and can make contact with your coil depending on how much it bows. It's also harder to adjust. I personally would install a relocation bracket in the rear over an adjustable unit.

Haha, well that's something I didn't know. I guess it seems that I should just install the AEV lift as it comes, and not worry so much about everything else. I have a lot of people yapping in my hear, so I figured I'd get the most accurate information I can find. Since I do mostly road driving, driving dynamics (I know it's a jeep, but I don't want it any worse than stock) are important, so anything I can do to make sure the Jeep tracks true is worth doing. Thanks for the advice Eddie, much appreciated.

rtguy1

The aev 2.5" kit does not have a front trackbar bracket. You retain the factory mounting points and factory front trackbar. All an adjustable is going to do up front is move your axle back to center an 1/8". Basically a waste of money. I'm using factory trackbars now and they are all you need. I have coilovers front and rear and long arms. The kit does however utilize a rear trackbar bracket and a factory style new trackbar with a slightly different bend to it for clearance. Run the kit like it is with the geometry correction brackets or new front adjustable lower control arms and be done. I ran that kit for a year while saving up for my build and never had a single issue.[/B] I used the brackets and it rode good. A bit stiff for my taste when it was empty due to the progressive coils.

Hope this helps save you money.

attempt #2 to save you money :cheesy:

Top Bottom