Clicking/binding noise up front ONLY in 4wd and ONLY when turning???

Jersey_Devil

So I've been getting this clicking/binding type of noise coming from the front ONLY when I'm in 4wd AND while turning (still in 4wd) no problems in 2wd.....any ideas? U was thinking a bad universal joint on the front axle.......

2010 JKUR

Depending on how sharp you are turning and the surface you get a bump or what sounds like a grind even a jerking in the steering wheel. This is the 4wd engaging and grabbing the surface. I avoid using 4wd on pavement or hard pan roads as it puts undue pressure on the front axle u-joints. I also avoid trying to make sharp turns in 4wd unless I am in soft soil like the sugar sand of Florida.

From what you are describing it sounds normal.

Hopes this helps

R/
Will

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So I've been getting this clicking/binding type of noise coming from the front ONLY when I'm in 4wd AND while turning (still in 4wd) no problems in 2wd.....any ideas? U was thinking a bad universal joint on the front axle.......

2010 JKUR

Any chance your front diff was engaged?

AZDIESELPIG

Have you inpected the u joints? If its the same sound my buddy heard shortly after his ujoint let loose on the trail.

is the binding a metal noise?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When was the last time you replaced your u-joints? Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean that the bearings inside aren't fried.

Jersey_Devil

When was the last time you replaced your u-joints? Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean that the bearings inside aren't fried.

Never replaced....that's why i was thinking them....Ok replace em next week when u have my axle truss and evo guessets put on. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never replaced....that's why i was thinking them....Ok replace em next week when u have my axle truss and evo guessets put on. Thanks!

Yeah, most likely them then. Also, if it were me, I'd save your money and NOT install a truss. But again, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why is that?

In spite of what so many seem to think, you're more likely to bend your axle by installing one. To do it right is very difficult and require specific prep work that even experienced welders won't do. IMHO, you're better off just leaving well enough alone and wheel with what you've got. If and when you need to replace your axle, use the money you save now to buy a new one. But, that's just me.

Jersey_Devil

In spite of what so many seem to think, you're more likely to bend your axle by installing one. To do it right is very difficult and require specific prep work that even experienced welders won't do. IMHO, you're better off just leaving well enough alone and wheel with what you've got. If and when you need to replace your axle, use the money you save now to buy a new one. But, that's just me.

I never knew that....thanks for all the info!

Top Bottom