JKU side tilt rating?

GimmePaw

I've tried searching the forums and can't find any info about a maximum side tilt rating for the JKU.

My old Land Rover w/ a 3" Old Man Emu lift would do 45 degrees all day long.

What will my 13' JKU do? It's a stock sport with '13 Rubi tires & wheels.

Sent via subspace using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Stock? About 30°. Lifted? I suppose it depends on what all you do to get you there. More times than not, less.

Moochie

Why would you want to drive sideways on a 45 degree slope? Even 30 would be to much. I'd find a different trail.

GimmePaw

Why would you want to drive sideways on a 45 degree slope? Even 30 would be to much. I'd find a different trail.

As an example, I was driving down a trail with a steep incline on my right, and a sheer drop-off on my left. We came upon a washed out section of the trail which necessitated my driving up onto the incline on my right for a distance until we were passed the washed out section.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As an example, I was driving down a trail with a steep incline on my right, and a sheer drop-off on my left. We came upon a washed out section of the trail which necessitated my driving up onto the incline on my right for a distance until we were passed the washed out section.

Well, if the incline were really 45°, I still would have found another way around. No point in putting my Jeep and my life at risk just to get to point B. But, that's just me :cool:

GimmePaw

Well, if the incline were really 45°, I still would have found another way around. No point in putting my Jeep and my life at risk just to get to point B. But, that's just me :cool:

In the example given I was in my Disco II which could (& did) handle it. With no room to turn around, it would have otherwise meant reversing back down the trail a looong way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the example given I was in my Disco II which could (& did) handle it. With no room to turn around, it would have otherwise meant reversing back down the trail a looong way.

Well, if it really was that badass, I'd sure love to see a pic of that. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My old Land Rover w/ a 3" Old Man Emu lift would do 45 degrees all day long.

45 degree side hill all day long? I'd love to see a picture of that. Hell, the original H1's were touted as being able to traverse about 40 degrees and their stance and center of gravity seems a lot more conducive to traversing steep slopes than a Rover, escpecially one with a 3" lift.

On an unrelated note, there is this spot on a local river where I catch 30 lb. rainbow trout all day long. Sorry...I don't have any pictures.

MTG

Caught the Bug
On an unrelated note, there is this spot on a local river where I catch 30 lb. rainbow trout all day long. Sorry...I don't have any pictures.

Is that the one where the strippers deliver beer and massages while we reset our lines between catches and after limiting out? Definitely don't have any pictures. ;) :cheesy:

GimmePaw

Ok. Well go to a land rover dealer & have them take you on their test track. Look, I love my JKU, and I'll still love it no matter what it can or can't do. *pissing on flames*

RUMMY

Well if I owned a well balanced Land rover like that I would have painted it orange with a rebel flag on the roof and drove it around on two wheels all day long yelling Yeeehaaaa ! But that's just me .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rob

The disco is rated at 43% slope not degrees. 43% slope is about 23 degrees. Ive driven a friends stock disco. It feels like its gonna flip over standing still.

GimmePaw

Ok. Here goes.
I worked for a Land Rover dealer for a few years. I was always told that Land Rovers are designed to do a 45 degree side tilt. This is *supposedly* due to them having aluminum body panels & a very low center of gravity.

The test track at the dealer I worked at was *supposedly* 43 degrees. I could park my rig on that slope, grab on to the safari rack & shake the $#!t out that truck, and it would stay put.

Did I actually measure the slope myself? No.

Would I actually drive across a 45 degree slope "all day long"? Only if my life depended on it.

Would I go back to Land Rover? Not on your life!

Can't we all just be friends?

GimmePaw

Looks like another post got in before I was done composing my last one. If I'm confusing degrees for slope % I apologize.

Top Bottom