Rear Locker Stuck

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Tried my rear locker again today after having to open the diff cover and manually pry the ring to the right to get it to unlock after the last run. It locked and then unlocked the first try. When I locked it again, it is not unlocking. Doesn't sound like an electrical problem due to it working the first time, but maybe a mechanical issue? Thought about opening up the diff again and then actuating the locker with the diff cover off and spraying some brake cleaner all over everything. How does this sound to everyone? Any suggestions or ideas? I already tried all the backing up in a figure 8, hammering on the diff, etc.

Thanks,

Last edited:

suicideking

From what I've heard, once this starts happening, it's not going to stop.

Since the OEM locker doesn't have any serviceable parts, time to look for a replacement. Try your local mod shop, see if they have any that customers didn't want. You could also try junkyards. Other than that, may want to consider replacing with aftermarket.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Took the diff cover off today and when you actuate the switch on and off the metal disk moves only about half way to the left and unlocks fine. Took the rig out in the street slowly with the cover off and the locker metal plate moves all the way to the left and then does not unlock with the switch. Needed to pry it back to the right.

Any ideas anyone? Actuator switch/plunger?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I have seen, the internal components start to crack and create a tight enough fit that the wave spring inside can no longer push it apart. There is no fix for this. You will need to replace your locker.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
From what I have seen, the internal components start to crack and create a tight enough fit that the wave spring inside can no longer push it apart. There is no fix for this. You will need to replace your locker.

Thanks Eddie! What do you recommend for the back ARB? Also, if I go air ARB in the back should I buy the bigger air compressor so I can eventually do the front when it dies or does the smaller one work ok?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! What do you recommend for the back ARB? Also, if I go air ARB in the back should I buy the bigger air compressor so I can eventually do the front when it dies or does the smaller one work ok?

Yeah, ARB is what I would go with. The small compressor will do just fine running both front and rear lockers. The only reason to get the bigger one is so that you can use it for air.

Brewman

Does your indicator light still work on the dash? I wonder if the sensor got caught on the disc and is keeping everything tight and locked up?

SaddleTramp

Sorry for the high jack and stupid question, but, once the smaller compressor is hooked up to activate the lockers is there a separate coupler that can still allow it to be use to fill the tires?

Just wasn't sure if a compressor for lockers has to be dedicated to just the diffs or if it can still be used dual purpose? Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the high jack and stupid question, but, once the smaller compressor is hooked up to activate the lockers is there a separate coupler that can still allow it to be use to fill the tires?

Just wasn't sure if a compressor for lockers has to be dedicated to just the diffs or if it can still be used dual purpose? Thank you.

Depending on which pump you have, you can make it do both and with ease. ARB even sells a kit for it.

Top Bottom