front coils under extreme articulation

aaronstephen

when I get full droop in the front my front coil springs will drop at the top of the coil spring and no longer be under pressure. I have coil retainers on the bottom of the coil spring to keep it secure, but I was wondering if this is a problem? The coil spring will probably drop about an inch from where they are seated at the top of the spring (hope this makes sense).

also, my brake lines look fine but my tpms line is a bit tight at full droop. How do I fix that?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379553856.608648.jpg

jeffj

Caught the Bug
The spring is is totally normal. I would not worry about that. You can cut your connecters and pull more of the abs line out and you should be fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll forgive me but, there is nothing "totally normal" about a coil dropping out. If it were, it would do that from the factory. Fact of the matter is, the shocks being run are too long. If all you ever do is crawl, the spring retainers on the axle may be enough to hold things in place and keep it out of trouble but, if you ever do any high speed desert driving, this is a problem. If it were me, I would worry about it and get it fixed but, that's just me.

Regarding the ABS lines, you just need to reroute them.

David1tontj

Shorter shocks or a limiting strap, but something needs to be done. I have seen on the trail a Cherokee whose coil kept falling out, they acted like it was perfectly normal, and the spotter kept putting it back, but before he was off the obstacle he ripped out a brake line. His trip was ruined. Not worth the risk to me

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

aaronstephen

You'll forgive me but, there is nothing "totally normal" about a coil dropping out. If it were, it would do that from the factory. Fact of the matter is, the shocks being run are too long. If all you ever do is crawl, the spring retainers on the axle may be enough to hold things in place and keep it out of trouble but, if you ever do any high speed desert driving, this is a problem. If it were me, I would worry about it and get it fixed but, that's just me.

Regarding the ABS lines, you just need to reroute them.

Shorter shocks or a limiting strap, but something needs to be done. I have seen on the trail a Cherokee whose coil kept falling out, they acted like it was perfectly normal, and the spotter kept putting it back, but before he was off the obstacle he ripped out a brake line. His trip was ruined. Not worth the risk to me

ok, I hear what you're saying... but my coil only drops maybe an inch from the top of the mount. it doesn't even come close to falling out. if all i'm doing when I'm disconnected is crawling shouldn't this be ok?

David1tontj

I guess I would say it depends on what is limiting it currently. When it is an inch down, what is finally stopping it? Probably the shock? It will work, but it's not right. And I don't know about the high speed stuff like Eddie, but I'd trust him

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok, I hear what you're saying... but my coil only drops maybe an inch from the top of the mount. it doesn't even come close to falling out. if all i'm doing when I'm disconnected is crawling shouldn't this be ok?

Like I said, you "may" be okay. Your coil doesn't have to fall out to be a problem. Even with a retainer on the axle, the coil can and will make contact/catch the upper jounce stop mount and, I have seen where this can eventually cause it to break or work itself free of the retainer. Just the sloppiness of it alone can do this too. As mentioned, this can cause your brake line and or ABS line to get caught up in the loose coil and do damage. I personally would address it but, that's just me.

Rollincoal420

Mine does this. I have limiting straps to keep it from going further until I get longer brake lines. What I did was extend the bumpstop with a piece of pipe so the coil doesnt fall out of place. When the axle goes back up the spring stays on the upper part of the bumpstop so it gets giuded right back into place. I also had to get my limit straps set at the right length to prevent it from wanting to drop too far. If u look closely at the pics, you can tell what I did. Works like a champ altho we dont have much deserts to race around in tn.

a6eja5ep.jpg

u7a7uda4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Raceplayhavefun

For slow crawling, if it comes loose a little it may not be a problem. The question is what is stopping it? You don't want the shock to a as the travel limiter as this could harm the shock even at low speed. If running hard in the desert or any where that the front end might get off the ground this is definitely bad. Limit straps should be on most or all off road vehicles!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Mine does this. I have limiting straps to keep it from going further until I get longer brake lines. What I did was extend the bumpstop with a piece of pipe so the coil doesnt fall out of place. When the axle goes back up the spring stays on the upper part of the bumpstop so it gets giuded right back into place. I also had to get my limit straps set at the right length to prevent it from wanting to drop too far. If u look closely at the pics, you can tell what I did. Works like a champ altho we dont have much deserts to race around in tn.

a6eja5ep.jpg

u7a7uda4.jpg

So, to keep your springs from falling out you put in longer bumpstops. In doing so, didn't you unecessarily limit your up-travel? Isn't uptravel just as important as droop in terms of overall flex (not to mention the ability of the suspension to cycle at speed)? I'm confused as to why it wouldn't be better to just by the proper length shocks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, to keep your springs from falling out you put in longer bumpstops. In doing so, didn't you unecessarily limit your up-travel? Isn't uptravel just as important as droop in terms of overall flex (not to mention the ability of the suspension to cycle at speed)? I'm confused as to why it wouldn't be better to just by the proper length shocks.

The duct tape should explain it all. :cheesy:

Rollincoal420

No, I didn't limit up travel any. My tire still contacts my inner fender. At any speed, the suspension travel so smoothly. I don't notice any movement until after the movement has been completed. Don't know if that part makes any sense but riding in the jeep with no doors where I can watch the tire explains it all. The geometry of the suspension works so well that the front axle moves in an almost fluid motion. Only time I have lifted a front tire was when I was maybe 2° from laying it on its side. All this came about because of the size shocks I got. I got the shocks off cl with lift blocks for $50, sold the blocks and u bolts for $80 so I decided y not keep the shocks and run them. Took allot of work seeing as how these shocks are for a dodge 3500 rear with 6" of lift. 15" of travel. Had to relocate the upper mount into the engine compartment to have enough up travel but I'm telling you, this front suspension works flawlessly! 75-80 down the interstate to just about any rock garden you could think of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, if all you ever do is crawl (or maybe drive down the highway), the spring retainers on the axle may be enough to hold things in place and keep it out of trouble but, if you ever do any high speed desert driving or play on dunes like they have up in Silverlake, this will be a problem.

Rollincoal420

Like I said, if all you ever do is crawl (or maybe drive down the highway), the spring retainers on the axle may be enough to hold things in place and keep it out of trouble but, if you ever do any high speed desert driving or play on dunes like they have up in Silverlake, this will be a problem.

As would the spacers on top of my springs. But there is no sense in altering until I move out west where there is actually enough room to go that fast without interference from trees

aaronstephen

Running around on the dunes at Silver Lake would only be a problem if I disconnect though, right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Running around on the dunes at Silver Lake would only be a problem if I disconnect though, right?

If your springs come unseated when flexing, why wouldn't they come unseated when your axle drops out jamming across the dunes? Assuming you have your swaybar links set at the proper length, they will have no bearing on this. If they are not set at the proper length, you will most likely hyper extend and taco them.

Top Bottom