Installing Sleeves and gussets

metalic

I Have found a bad lower ball joint and ordered Synergy Ball Joints, Sleeves, and gussets since this would be the time to weld them in..

My question is to anyone that has installed sleeves and gussets is I have a 110 Mig and don't know if anyone has had problems with it not penetrating enough. I have a friend that works at a machine shop and could burn them with a 220 but I build anything I can myself.

Thanks

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I Have found a bad lower ball joint and ordered Synergy Ball Joints, Sleeves, and gussets since this would be the time to weld them in..

My question is to anyone that has installed sleeves and gussets is I have a 110 Mig and don't know if anyone has had problems with it not penetrating enough. I have a friend that works at a machine shop and could burn them with a 220 but I build anything I can myself.

Thanks

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time and money on the sleeves. They will not prevent the axle from bending...they will just allow it to bend a different spot (where the tubes enter the diff housing.)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The gussets are just 3/16" thick steel and I would think you could burn them in just fine with your 110. Most sleeves just need to be rosette welded and the ends capped off and would think you would be fine there too. But, like Sharkey said, your axles will still bend. Time and use has proven that to be true.

Rollincoal420

The inner c is kinda thick. If your have problems penetrating the inner c, you can pre heat it some to help that little mig out. Flux core write will penetrate better than solid core w gas. Co2 gas seems to penetrate better but argon is supposed to help carry the heat into the base metal.

Just a bit of info to help with your decision

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

DCR JEEP

The gussets are just 3/16" thick steel and I would think you could burn them in just fine with your 110. Most sleeves just need to be rosette welded and the ends capped off and would think you would be fine there too. But, like Sharkey said, your axles will still bend. Time and use has proven that to be true.

Is there any proof that the gussets help the C's from warping when running 35"+ tires? Currently running a d30 in the front.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any proof that the gussets help the C's from warping when running 35"+ tires? Currently running a d30 in the front.

Thanks

Proof? All I can say is that without guests, I found that my C's bent plenty back when I was just running 35's.

bl17z90

what's the opinions on a truss/brace instead of sleeves?

Greg gave a great answer as to all of the problems with getting a truss done and why it would be dangerous to have a welder who isn't an absolute expert do the install of a truss for you but I can't remember what the thread was called.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what's the opinions on a truss/brace instead of sleeves?

I would only install a truss if I wanted to have a bent axle and this is regardless of who the welder is or how much experience they have. Taking your time and welding slowly will not be enough to prevent it. Sure, there are ways to help mitigate it but, I've only known of a select few who are capable of doing it and even then, it's just a best guess. Personally, I wouldn't waste any money building up a factory axle. I would just play with what you got until you break or can afford to upgrade.

bl17z90

I would only install a truss if I wanted to have a bent axle and this is regardless of who the welder is or how much experience they have. Taking your time and welding slowly will not be enough to prevent it. Sure, there are ways to help mitigate it but, I've only known of a select few who are capable of doing it and even then, it's just a best guess. Personally, I wouldn't waste any money building up a factory axle. I would just play with what you got until you break or can afford to upgrade.

^What he said. Also, depending on your budget you may want to do what I am doing. I am playing very gently with what I have until my Jeep is paid off. Then I will use the money I save from not having payments and do the axle upgrades then :yup:

Capita

^What he said. Also, depending on your budget you may want to do what I am doing. I am playing very gently with what I have until my Jeep is paid off. Then I will use the money I save from not having payments and do the axle upgrades then :yup:

Will welding on gussets negate any warranty?

Genesis121

I used a 110 welder to do the exact same thing. It worked fine, but just make sure and take your time and don't do it all at once. I started on one end which to the other and went back and forth to make sure it didn't warp.

I have a D30 and run 35's.... I figured it is easy insurance against bending the housing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will welding on gussets negate any warranty?

Yes, it can and will for things like ball joints. Even if you remove them prior to welding, a dealership can easily state that you didn't that is what caused your joints to fail prematurely.

I have a D30 and run 35's.... I figured it is easy insurance against bending the housing

Sleeves will not prevent bending of the housing, just help prevent it from breaking. This is their primary function. Your housing can and will still bend right where the tubes go into the differential. Trust me, I see this on Jeeps all the time and, when it gets bad enough, gear oil will start to leak from that point. Again, this is WITH sleeves installed and regardless of make.

Rebel JK

I had good luck with my 120 volt lincoln. I went with .035 flux core rather than solid w gas for better penetration. Took it slow (most of a day) to allow cooling between welds switching sides several times and using a light spray from spray bottle to help as well.
I focused the spray on the axle seals and ball joints not the welds themselves.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
I plan on doing gussets but without going to a tire shop and having the jeep put on an alignment rack is there a way to tell if your C's are bent with out it be obvious (Top of the tire leaning in)? Everything on mine appears to be on the straight and narrow...(Pun intended...:cheesy:) but I'd like to be sure before installing the C's and solidifying the problem.

Top Bottom