PDA

View Full Version : Shock question

Beau beau
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
I looking to installing some new shocks on my 2012 2 door JK with a 4" lift. I posted on here a while back about my ride being to stiff and I was told the Bilstein 5100 is a good shock to run. I would like to have a soft ride I see on Bilstein web site something about rebound rate. Is the higher number softer or harder. What shocks are you guys running and how do they ride. I would love the new coil over kit from evo but thats later and a lot of saving. Thanks guys

ichthus
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I love the 5100's on our Jeep. They were a huge improvement over the cheap RC 2.2's. Untill I can justify 5160's, these will be my first choice

wayoflife
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I looking to installing some new shocks on my 2012 2 door JK with a 4" lift. I posted on here a while back about my ride being to stiff and I was told the Bilstein 5100 is a good shock to run. I would like to have a soft ride I see on Bilstein web site something about rebound rate. Is the higher number softer or harder. What shocks are you guys running and how do they ride. I would love the new coil over kit from evo but thats later and a lot of saving. Thanks guys

a couple of things, before you spend any money, how much air are you running in your tires? too much air will cause your ride to feel harsh and in a tire like a 35, you really don't want to be running anything more than about 28-30 psi tops. second, a lot of your ride quality will come from your coils and if they are stiff, new shocks may not help that out. grated, if you are running a soft coil with stiff shocks, new shocks can help out. having said all that, i've run a lot of shocks and have always liked the 5100's as they are reasonably priced, are valved specifically for the JK and provide a good ride.

Beau beau
06-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I see evo offers a 4" plush ride coil spring that i am going to look into and also install the 5100's I will follow up after I complete this upgrade. I did lower my tire psi to 28 and it did make a huge difference thanks guys.

wayoflife
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I see evo offers a 4" plush ride coil spring that i am going to look into and also install the 5100's I will follow up after I complete this upgrade. I did lower my tire psi to 28 and it did make a huge difference thanks guys.

the evo plush ride coils are by far the MOST comfortable coils i have ever run bar none. also, they've worked with bilstein to have their 5100's tuned to their coils and so, paired together, you should have a really nice ride.

Mitch
06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
But with softer coils you might get a lot of sag. Specially when you have steel bumpers, tire carriers and so on. So you might ending up having 4" coils but only 2.5" lift.
Im also a fan of a really soft ride and soft as can be suspension. But that would be my fear of super soft coils........

Or am I wrong with this ?
because we only have a handfull of street legal lift kits in Germany and Im trying to work around this problem.......

wayoflife
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
But with softer coils you might get a lot of sag. Specially when you have steel bumpers, tire carriers and so on. So you might ending up having 4" coils but only 2.5" lift.
Im also a fan of a really soft ride and soft as can be suspension. But that would be my fear of super soft coils........

Or am I wrong with this ?
because we only have a handfull of street legal lift kits in Germany and Im trying to work around this problem.......

no, you are absolutely correct on this but, coils like what evo makes take this into consideration and rate their coil height (about 3.5"-4") based on extra weight like this. if you load up your jeep with a lot of gear for the trail, additional sagging will be seen and, when i ran the plush ride coils, i just installed a set of 1" coil spacers in the rear to help compensate for it.