What gear ratio with a 5 1/2" LA and 35's?

tvnwoodall

Lately I've been doing a lot of research on gear ratios. Pretty soon here I'll be putting a 5 1/2" BDS LA kit on and 35x12.5's. Obviously with that size tire and lift my rig would lose some power and of course gas mileage. I've asked a few opinions and most of my buddies say to go 4.10. I do live in southern california so I drive some traffic and mostly on the highway so MPG is slightly important but power on and off of the trail is even more. What does everyone think?? I have a 2013 wrangler sport. I just want to put a good combo on her so shoot me some ideas and we'll play around.

Flatattack

With that size lift I would guess you'll eventually move up to 37's or larger. That being said definitely go with 4.88's at least.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lately I've been doing a lot of research on gear ratios. Pretty soon here I'll be putting a 5 1/2" BDS LA kit on and 35x12.5's. Obviously with that size tire and lift my rig would lose some power and of course gas mileage. I've asked a few opinions and most of my buddies say to go 4.10. I do live in southern california so I drive some traffic and mostly on the highway so MPG is slightly important but power on and off of the trail is even more. What does everyone think?? I have a 2013 wrangler sport. I just want to put a good combo on her so shoot me some ideas and we'll play around.

5-1/2" for just a set of 35's?? Are you just into the tall 80's look because if you plan on wheeling your Jeep, I would highly recommend that you look into something more functional and with a lower center of gravity like a good 3" lift.

Having said that, 35's with 4.10's on a 2013 will get you by but, regearing to 4.88's would restore what power you do loose.

kh202

JK-Forum Moderator
4.88 would be too much gear with 35's if its your dd and you drive much highway. Lift won't effect gearing, but 5.5" for 35's is a bit absurd if you plan to wheel it

Last edited:

tvnwoodall

Its a manual.
That's what I've been trying to decide on as well a 5.5" or 4". 5.5 and 35's didn't look to crazy I thought but I'm definitely not just going for an 80's look ha. I do agree with the low center of gavity though. I just figured wth.. a little more travel. But I don't want to look absurd or be top heavy. Hmm maybe ill have to look more into a 4". It is also my DD so maybe 5.88 is too much. I think ill go a little lower. (On the number scale) I do also have my fenders cut so with 35's and a 5.5" I'd probably have too much space between the fenders and top of the tire.

Beyrgut

With 35s and trimmed fenders go for a 2.5-3" lift and 4.88 gears and you will be set. I run a 3.5 with full fenders and heavy bumpers and don't want to go to flats as it would look too rollerskatey for my liking. Any lift 4+ w/35s is just overkill.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its a manual.
That's what I've been trying to decide on as well a 5.5" or 4". 5.5 and 35's didn't look to crazy I thought but I'm definitely not just going for an 80's look ha. I do agree with the low center of gavity though. I just figured wth.. a little more travel. But I don't want to look absurd or be top heavy. Hmm maybe ill have to look more into a 4". It is also my DD so maybe 5.88 is too much. I think ill go a little lower. (On the number scale) I do also have my fenders cut so with 35's and a 5.5" I'd probably have too much space between the fenders and top of the tire.

Just to put a little perspective on things, I run 40" tires with just 4.5" of lift. I run 37's with just 3.5" of lift. Trust me, 5.5" is crazy tall and not really functional on the trail - just top heavy.

tvnwoodall

Gooottt it. That helps a lot guys. And don't worry, I've completely cut out the idea of a 5.5" haha. I really appriceate the help. This is a bit hard for me because all I have is the internet as I'm in another country. Hands on isn't much of a choice for me! Thanks again!

Skirmish

I'm running 4.88 in a '12 manual with 35" and wouldn't change it. I still get about 17 mpg with a lot of heavy armor and a lot of freeway travel. 4.56 would give you a better rpm range over 70 mph but you'll be on your clutch more offroad. Oh, and I run a 3" lift and flat fenders plenty of room. Probably stay at 3" even when I move to 37".

Skirmish

I'm running a Synergy with all 8 adjustable control arms, raised trackbar and draglink flip. Fox shocks for a 2-4" lift. I've run it through some nasty trails including John Bull and it gives me plenty of flex.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379840383.204969.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379840436.846923.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379840533.318263.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379840624.399565.jpg

tvnwoodall

Without a doubt looks like a very capable rig! I like it. Ill definitely look into everything you've said. Hearing peoples opinions and preferences is good.

Army_Vet

Banned
Without a doubt looks like a very capable rig! I like it. Ill definitely look into everything you've said. Hearing peoples opinions and preferences is good.

Keep in mind, with a higher lift you also need to be concerned with drive shafts and exhaust relocation...

It sounds like your now on the right path to selecting a more appropriate lift, but just wanted to help you a little more

tvnwoodall

Oh absolutely! BDS kit I'm looking at does actually come with a exaust extension:thumbup:
And drive shaft.. I've been looking haha. Recomended not required by most. I think ill play it safe though. Stock one sucks!

Skirmish

I would avoid dropping the exhaust for clearance, just replace the front shaft. If you drop the exhaust crossover it becomes the lowest point under the rig and will be constantly hitting rocks.

Top Bottom