Rancho RockGear Diff glide plates

Aeraun

So I'm looking to add some more protection to my JKU and after seeing a diff skid in action this past weekend at Rausch Creek I decided to look at some and the Rancho RockGear ones caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with these? I am just looking for that little extra protection for now - not going to replace the diff covers just yet. Being as that may are they worth getting without an upgraded diff cover? Besides these I looked at the Four X Doctor ones but at least the Ranchos are designed to slide more rather than just for impact purposes. Opinions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't run any and have never seen the need for them but, I doubt they'll cause any problems. Certainly, I have little doubt that they'll work just as well as some of their more expensive competition.

Aeraun

I don't run any and have never seen the need for them but, I doubt they'll cause any problems. Certainly, I have little doubt that they'll work just as well as some of their more expensive competition.

Any alternative suggestions Ed? Should I just wait and get some ARB or Poison Spyder diff covers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any alternative suggestions Ed? Should I just wait and get some ARB or Poison Spyder diff covers?

Not really. I like the way diff covers look and run Dynatrac ones because of it but, I wouldn't be afraid to run stock covers. Of course, I'm not as badass as some.

Aeraun

Not really. I like the way diff covers look and run Dynatrac ones because of it but, I wouldn't be afraid to run stock covers. Of course, I'm not as badass as some.

I dunno I'd say you're pretty dam badass lol I'm just trying to make sure I avoid peeling open my diffs for as long as possible. Thanks for the input sir.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno I'd say you're pretty dam badass lol I'm just trying to make sure I avoid peeling open my diffs for as long as possible. Thanks for the input sir.

Take off your diff covers and grind the bottom lip of them so that they sit slightly higher than the base of your housing when installed. This will help prevent them from getting hit and peeling back. Even aftermarket covers that get hit hard enough will start to leak.

Aeraun

Take off your diff covers and grind the bottom lip of them so that they sit slightly higher than the base of your housing when installed. This will help prevent them from getting hit and peeling back. Even aftermarket covers that get hit hard enough will start to leak.

Oh ok nice, would've never thought of this. Thanks again.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
So I'm looking to add some more protection to my JKU and after seeing a diff skid in action this past weekend at Rausch Creek I decided to look at some and the Rancho RockGear ones caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with these? I am just looking for that little extra protection for now - not going to replace the diff covers just yet. Being as that may are they worth getting without an upgraded diff cover? Besides these I looked at the Four X Doctor ones but at least the Ranchos are designed to slide more rather than just for impact purposes. Opinions?

:beer::beer::icon_crazy:
Notice the red on the rock, from a little dragging.
DSC02543_zps58ff9d01.jpg

As you can see the passenger rear is just chillin' out.

DSC02542_zps130da4dc.jpg

Just put my rear rancho on about 5 min ago. FYI, they don't fit on ARB covers:banghead:
But it does now :screwy:
We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Aeraun

Thanks for all the info. I've opted out of getting them, for now anyway. Getting my lift next then going to finish armoring the goodies. Definitely going to get diff covers - maybe even just for looks like Eddie said. Looking at the Poison Spyder ones. If I still need some more piece of mind than I'll look into diff skids again. But I didn't think about the loss of ground clearance.

desertrunner

Holy cow!! $267? The Rancho skid is only $144

this one does cover some of the drive shift and is 1/4" steel like i said prob not necessary but i like having it now that i bought it. could be my poor line choice but i seem to smack it quite a bit.

suicideking

I'd like to get a diff skid eventually, but won't get one unless everything else is covered first. I already have aftermarket diff covers, Evo Protek 3 piece skid set, front LCA skids. So next will be the rear LCA skids. Diff skids are on the list, but not a high priority.

Top Bottom