Coil spring upgrade?

Met another jk owner the other night who has a 4in lift and 35" tires, compared to my 4 1/2 in and 37's but yet his ride sits higher than mine. I have a considerable amount more weight than he does so I'm guessing it is compressing my coil springs. The question is simple, can I upgrade to stronger/taller springs and bring my ride back to it's proper height without spending a small fortune on the coilovers? This is seriously screwing with my OCD and needs to be fixed. :D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Army_Vet

Banned
Met another jk owner the other night who has a 4in lift and 35" tires, compared to my 4 1/2 in and 37's but yet his ride sits higher than mine. I have a considerable amount more weight than he does so I'm guessing it is compressing my coil springs. The question is simple, can I upgrade to stronger/taller springs and bring my ride back to it's proper height without spending a small fortune on the coilovers? This is seriously screwing with my OCD and needs to be fixed. :D

Im sure you can; but is it just "the Look" you're after? You would have more ground clearance with the tires. The lift will give you more breakover clearance. But if you don't have a problem with that I wonder why you wish to make the jeep more top heavy...

Just an opinion; but I would ask yourself why you are wanting to be up higher, and if the answer is just the look then I would not bother...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he said, in terms of function, lower with big tires is what you want. If you just are looking for the sky high 80's look, sure, stiffer/taller coils will get you there as would a body lift.

It isnt really so much the look I'm after (not really) but wondering if it effects things such as alignment when it isnt riding at the hight the lift was designed to ride at. Take away my steel bumpers,winch and tire carrier and would sit at the correct hight again. I'm also considering going to a 38 or maybe a 40 in the future and if the springs sag any further there will be rubbing issues. As it is I'm only a few,maybe 3 inches away from rubbing actual sheetmetal on the lower front corner of my rear fender wells.

Is there a specific formula to use in determining spring size? I'm currently running a 4.5" skyjacker short arm which they are calling a 4-5". Would I be safe in getting the springs for their 6-7" ? I'm simply trying to bring my ride height back up to what it would be without all of my extra weight. I dont thing theres going to be anymore danger of being topheavy than there was before I added the weight.

miguel250r

Haha mine sat higher than urs with stock Rubicon tires n its only a 4" lift

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thinking I'm glad I didnt park next to Pastorwug, may have made me cry with his stock lift and tires.:eek:

miguel250r

I know, it looks like a freak of nature right now.

If mine sat same height as Ur with stock tires and u have 37s I bet Ur lift right now with all the weight is prolly only a 2" lift but u clear 37s Cuz Ur flat fenders but I got exactly 4" of lift I measured it but I had Rubicon stock springs before the lift I think they sit a tad bit higher than the sport stock springs. But from what I hear the evo plush ride springs are really nice ride

miguel250r

When u order Ur next springs u can tell them its for a four door since urs prolly weighs as much as that

Top Bottom