My Friend doesn't understand

JKU EXTREME

I have a friend who wants a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and one day we were just throwing out ideas about what he should put on it and he said jokingly that he would want an 8" lift with 54" tires.:shakinghead: Now I'm all for fun and games but when I'm talking about Jeeps, I'm all business. He keeps sticking to that idea when I constantly tell him that an 8" lift is WAY too big for a Jeep, period. I also tell him that he would have such a high center of gravity that he would flip if he went 25mph on a turn, but he refuses to understand my reasoning.
I just need some physical evidence, replies from forum members, that will help him understand the reasoning behind what I am trying to tell him.
Thanks
-:John:JKU EXTREME

Jersey_Devil

Yea the only thing an 8" lift would be good for is doing straight line mud runs with tractor tires....other than that i just think it would be goofy and unsafe

kaptkrappy

Where would someone even get an 8" lift for a JK ???

Lots of fab work, lots of tire and wheel money, lots of stupid.......

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think hes gettin the Idea from COPs Kraken thing...

X's 2. It sounds like your friend knows absolutely nothing about Jeeps, how they drive, or for what they are best suited. If your friend wants to mud bog down south in the sticky stuff, then 54" tires and an 8" lift might make sense...but not on a Jeep. That setup would be better suited for a long wheelbase, high horsepower full size rig.

Now, if he wants a mountain goat that can also rip across open terrain on the way there, then there is no reason to go bigger than something like Moby: 4.5" of lift with huge flex and 40" tires for ground clearance. Low center of gravity is extremely important.

I was on an EVO Moab run a few years ago and COP was on the run with his POS Kraken thing. It was downright scary. The run (7 mile rim) is not what I would consider difficult and I am by no means "hardcore" (whatever that means). Needless to say, Kraken's performance was pathetic and IMHO dangerous to its occupants and to everyone else on the run.

MTG

Caught the Bug
8" of lift AND 54" tires?! That's gonna be sick, bro!!!

Only one place I know to get something that sick, COP4X4. :rock:

:cheesy:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...and even if he did want a bogger, good luck getting the 3.8 or 3.6 to have enough power to actually turn those tires with any force. Tell your friend to sock away some real coin for new axles too because I don't expect Dana 44's would last that long. Oh, and he is going to have a nagging "little" problem trying to figure out what to do about his driveline angles.

Hopefully he has a good trailer because it's unlikely the Jeep would be driveable on the street without some serious fab work.

In sum, tell your friend to stop being an ass. :cheesy: If he wants a monster truck then he should buy one. There is no such thing as a "monster jeep"!

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
If a reasonable amount of good advice does no good, i would hand him a book on Darwinism and tell him have at it....

kevinp

What Army_Vet said. There's enough crazy in the world. You can't control all of it.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Sent from my GS4 using the WAYALIFE mobile app.

GCM 2

Your friend does need help, he obviously doesn't understand that 8" lifts can't accommodate 54" tires.....he's going to have go with at least a 12" lift. Come on man, that is bush league! Anybody knows if you want to do it right you have to go EXTRA-LARGE ;)

Below I am standing next to the "Kraken" which is Sharkey's favorite jeep (I'm 6'3" for perspective), in fact that is either Sharkey's or MTG's sexy leg showing on the bottom corner of the jeep. They were arguing who was driving it next .....

image-2775234940.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Your friend does need help, he obviously doesn't understand that 8" lifts can't accommodate 54" tires.....he's going to have go with at least a 12" lift. Come on man, that is bush league! Anybody knows if you want to do it right you have to go EXTRA-LARGE ;)

Below I am standing next to the "Kraken" which is Sharkey's favorite jeep (I'm 6'3" for perspective), in fact that is either Sharkey's or MTG's sexy leg showing on the bottom corner of the jeep. They were arguing who was driving it next .....

View attachment 51391

Looks like JeepFan and MTG's Kankle.

miguel250r

Its got a teraflex sticker on the side since when did they start making 12" lifts lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Its got a teraflex sticker on the side since when did they start making 12" lifts lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

It was a TF experimental vehicle ;) (TF didn't know anythng about it), but 1989 called and wanted it back, so COP4x4 had to put it back in the time machine of bad ideas and return it. Absolutely no level of off road technology was gained during the building of the "Kraken", the jeep community benefited nonetheless by its disassembly.

1BAMFR

35's, 3.5" lift, and lockers will take you up, over, and thru ALOT of places....

8" lift is great for a diesel pick up!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 51391

LOL!! I'll always remember how scared camp was to drive that think up out of the Uranium Arch parking area. :crazyeyes:

TheDuff

To add insult to injury, they added a roof rack, and a huge tow hook? :screwy:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

ttfhell

View attachment 51391

That thing wentATTACH]51405[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380846495.315132.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380846495.315132.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom