Coil Spacer Question

JKU EXTREME

I have a coil spacer lift on my JKU (I know stupid idea, but for now it's for looks, when I get some real coin I will purchase a functional suspension system) but for the longest time it's been squeaking every time I turn, EVERY TIME, what I am asking is what could be causing the squeaking, what can I do to fix it and how may I further prevent the problem from re-occurring?

NAUJK

I have been running a coil spacer lift for almost 4 years I have had no issues with it at all they arnt a bad idea thy are great for low budgets and trying to get more space for larger tires. Eddie ran the teraflex one for a bit. Now with your question, its doing it while you turn? I am no expert but that doesnt sound like something your lift would cause. But you may have put the swaybar disconnects on and now they are rubbing the wheel while in a turn. so check the wheel to see if it has any marks from coming into contact with other componants

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, there's nothing wrong with a spacer lift. Second, I have a hard time believing that it is the cause of your squeaking especially being that you only hear it when turning. Can you reproduce the sound while standing still? If so, have someone turn your steering wheel and then hold things like your track bar, drag link and tie-rod. The squeak should also vibrate and whatever is vibrating is where your sound is coming from. If I could guess, you have a loose bolt or worn out bushing or TRE.

JKU EXTREME

I'll check but yes it's every time I turn, I went to where I got the lift installed and they said it should do that and I should go by so they can see what the problem was, they thought I could be sand...

JKU EXTREME

First off, there's nothing wrong with a spacer lift. Second, I have a hard time believing that it is the cause of your squeaking especially being that you only hear it when turning. Can you reproduce the sound while standing still? If so, have someone turn your steering wheel and then hold things like your track bar, drag link and tie-rod. The squeak should also vibrate and whatever is vibrating is where your sound is coming from. If I could guess, you have a loose bolt or worn out bushing or TRE.

Thanks, I'll check on those things, but I do not believe that I can reproduce the sound while still

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I'll check on those things, but I do not believe that I can reproduce the sound while still

Well, if you only hear the squeak when moving and turning, you need to look at your front axle u-joints. They are most likely in need of being replaced.

JKU EXTREME

Well, if you only hear the squeak when moving and turning, you need to look at your front axle u-joints. They are most likely in need of being replaced.

Wow, I need to replace something already? I only have 8,000 miles on it
But thank you, I will make sure to check on all of those things

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I need to replace something already? I only have 8,000 miles on it
But thank you, I will make sure to check on all of those things

It's just a guess based on what you have stated and really, just a starting point. Without seeing/hearing it for myself, it's impossible to know for sure. I certainly could be wrong.

JKU EXTREME

Honestly, the best way I can describe what it sound like is a squeaking bed that moves very rapidly every time I turn
It sort of sounds like it is coming from the rear
But thank you for your attempt at a diagnostic

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, the best way I can describe what it sound like is a squeaking bed that moves very rapidly every time I turn
It sort of sounds like it is coming from the rear
But thank you for your attempt at a diagnostic

Well, could be a bent axle flange but, you typically hear this all the time. It can be pronounced in turns though. Have you tried hosing out your rear brake calipers to see if it still happens? If that makes it go away, you can pull your pads and apply some squeak stop to the backs of them as well as the sliders. If you bend the flange more, you'll eventually just have to replace the shaft.

Top Bottom