Air Down pressure? (37 Nitto's on Slabs)

steadfast91

Looking to see what seems to work best in Arizona deseart/rocky conditions?

I have been running KM2's and airing down to 12 psi and they are chunking really bad.

Just got a new set if 37" Trail Grapplers that are on Slabs.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

I have been running KM2's and airing down to 12 psi and they are chunking really bad.

Edit: I see you said Km2's are chunking, yes they are known for that, along with pro-comps. You can air down to 8-12 no problem. Like Overlander said Nitto's do very well at low PSI and don't chunk.

Do you have bead locks

Tom now Free

Slabs are Beadlocks, made by ATX.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You guys have some really nasty sharp rocks out in AZ. I don't know if there's really anything you can do to prevent chunking.

suicideking

Also curious what he should air down to. Beadlocks and 37's are on my list..

I've been airing down to 10 psi with 35 X 15 GY MTR's. So figure you could go lower than that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've been airing down to 10 psi with 35 X 15 GY MTR's. So figure you could go lower than that.

Depends on the tire. For something like a BFG or GY MTR, I wouldn't go lower than 10 psi as their sidewalls are thinner and don't need to go lower. On something like a Toyo MT or Nitto Mud Grappler which have super thick sidewalls, 6-8 psi is pretty standard and you'll still have people telling you that you're not aired down enough.

GCM 2

Depends on the tire. For something like a BFG or GY MTR, I wouldn't go lower than 10 psi as their sidewalls are thinner and don't need to go lower. On something like a Toyo MT or Nitto Mud Grappler which have super thick sidewalls, 6-8 psi is pretty standard and you'll still have people telling you that you're not aired down enough.

When I ran 40" Goodyear MTR/K's (C load rating), I did run down to about 8 psi if my jeep was not loaded, an example would be when we did the Florence Junction Run; I had no doors, no passenger, very minimal tools and recovery equipment, so about as light as my four door could be. As Wayolife states, the MTR/K's have very thin sidewalls so you don't need to air down as much. During an event like a JK Experience when my jeep is at its heaviest load, 10-12 psi was plenty low with the Goodyears and their C load rating.

Now that I am on 40" Mud Grapplers (D load rating) i run very low psi, last weekends "Back way to Crown King" run, I was down at 6 psi because I had no weight in the jeep and probably could have dropped another pound (maybe two). At my heaviest weight during the 2012 JK Experience, I safely, and comfortably, ran 8 psi for the entire event.

As for Arizona having sharp rocks, yes we do, Wayolife and Bleadbeet have experienced this first hand. I went through two MTR/K's in a weekend (tires had maybe 10k miles), while the guys running Toyos and Nittos had zero issues. One of the reason I went back to Nittos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As for Arizona having sharp rocks, yes we do, Wayolife and Bleadbeet have experienced this first hand. I went through two MTR/K's in a weekend (tires had maybe 10k miles), while the guys running Toyos and Nittos had zero issues. One of the reason I went back to Nittos.

Well, I wouldn't say zero issues. Your razor sharp rocks cut up the hell out of our brand new Toyos :crazyeyes:

suicideking

Thanks for the info. :beer:

So looks like you guys mostly run the Nitto's and Toyo's? I've been pretty happy with the MTR, but might switch to one of those when I move up to 37's.

GCM 2

Well, I wouldn't say zero issues. Your razor sharp rocks cut up the hell out of our brand new Toyos :crazyeyes:

Whoa,whoa, whoa! It's like you are saying that I personally went out and placed razor sharp rocks on the trails we ran, just to cut up your new tires. Well maybe I did, maybe I didn't :icon_crazy:

Top Bottom