Steering problems

JK12

Ok so I know for a fact it's not death wobble. But there is a shimmy while I'm turning it does it mostly when turning left and happens around 10-20 mph around a corner. It's not in 4wd but it has the feel of it but not as bad. It's an 09 JKUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, have you checked the obvious, thinks like loose lug nuts or your ball joints? The effects of a u-joint rotating will be exaggerated if you have loose or worn out suspension/steering components.

JK12

My ball joints are still the stock ones and I do know they need to be replaced I have a set of prosteers waiting to be installed. But the weird thing was this past weekend I left to go to Phoenix and I got back and this problem showed up, never had it before and it just started happening but I will check loose lugs I though that could be a possibility

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My ball joints are still the stock ones and I do know they need to be replaced I have a set of prosteers waiting to be installed. But the weird thing was this past weekend I left to go to Phoenix and I got back and this problem showed up, never had it before and it just started happening but I will check loose lugs I though that could be a possibility

Not saying that it's your ball joints for sure, could be your unit bearings are going bad on that side. That it just started happening is really how most failing parts go. One minute things are cool and the next, you're in need of replacing/fixing things :cool:

JK12

Not saying that it's your ball joints for sure, could be your unit bearings are going bad on that side. That it just started happening is really how most failing parts go. One minute things are cool and the next, you're in need of replacing/fixing things :cool:

Yea ha it's starting to get expensive! But I know what I got myself into. But it's not loose lugs so I'm guessing it's unit bearing or the ball joints

JK12

Ok so after a few thousand miles after replacing my ball joints with dynatrac prosteers I'm getting the wobble back in my steering. Any ideas? I'm guessing wheel bearing and maybe steering gear

Army_Vet

Banned
Check for a seized u-joint on the front axle shaft at the knuckles. if the caps seized to the joint it may not look faulty, but will give you the sensation your describing.

I went through this on my f-250. I didn't address it in a timely manor and things got much worse. Repair was more than double in price than if I fixed it right away

jeeeep

Hooked
Already checked that and everything else torqued

IMO, I would loosen the bar and check the bolt hole for out of round, even though it's torqued if the hole is out of round, it'll still move.

Also check for a seized u-joint as mentioned, while you have your wheels off, hand check your bearing hub - rotate it by hand so you can feel if it rotates smoothly no noise, no gritty feel to the rotation.

Top Bottom