What's the difference between remote reservoir and non reservoir shocks?

Spartan

I would think ride quality would be the big difference, but what else is different, and is their any negatives to running reservoir shocks?

Also would would coil overs be a bad idea, or over kill with the EVO enforcer?

Paisano

I would think ride quality would be the big difference, but what else is different, and is their any negatives to running reservoir shocks?

The interior of a shock is a closed system, but as the shaft goes in and out of the body, the available volume in the system changes because the shaft takes up some space.

Since the oil is incompressible, you have to have some gas in there to account for this change in volume. Separating the gas from the oil with a sliding piston keeps the oil from frothing up. But it also makes the shock body very long unless you 'remote' the part that has the piston in it. That's the whole purpose of the reservoir.

Coil Overs are not a bad idea or overkill.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The interior of a shock is a closed system, but as the shaft goes in and out of the body, the available volume in the system changes because the shaft takes up some space.

Since the oil is incompressible, you have to have some gas in there to account for this change in volume. Separating the gas from the oil with a sliding piston keeps the oil from frothing up. But it also makes the shock body very long unless you 'remote' the part that has the piston in it. That's the whole purpose of the reservoir.

LOL!! Damn Ralph, that was a really good textbook answer. I didn't know you had it in ya :D

Spartan

You want all 4 shocks the same right?
So have coil overs on just the front is a bad idea correct?

Also are there noticeable benefits to getting the Rockstop Airbumps over bump stop extensions?

MTG

Caught the Bug

LOL!! Damn Ralph, that was a really good textbook answer. I didn't know you had it in ya :D

Great answer! For some reason this movie scene popped into my head while I was reading it:

:cheesy:

TheDuff

U can put coilovers up front first and do the rears later. Air bumps are a very big difference

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

U can put coilovers up front first and do the rears later. Air bumps are a very big difference

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, you can do coilovers up front first and then add them in the rear later. The benefits will be immediate and very noticeable too.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
You want all 4 shocks the same right?
So have coil overs on just the front is a bad idea correct?

I run EVO DTD Front Coilover system... saving the greens for the rear.

I swapped out my POS TeraFlex 9550's for some Bilstien 5165's... it helped with the hits the rear takes when going fast in the bumps. :driving:

Paisano

I just so happened to be changing the oil in my Jeep at my friends place. Needless to say it was a joint effort, he spit out the information while I typed it in. But I do have a much more in depth knowledge of it now 👍

Spartan

Do coil over effect you stability? Do you need to take turns slower then you would with normal shocks, or they improve overall handling and stability?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do coil over effect you stability? Do you need to take turns slower then you would with normal shocks, or they improve overall handling and stability?

EVO has spent thousands of dollars and enormous amounts of time working with King to design coil overs that are specifically valved and dialed in to IMPROVE the handling and stability of a JK both on and off road. I don't know of any other company to do this and cannot speak for how well they would perform.

seanb123

EVO has spent thousands of dollars and enormous amounts of time working with King to design coil overs that are specifically valved and dialed in to IMPROVE the handling and stability of a JK both on and off road. I don't know of any other company to do this and cannot speak for how well they would perform.

So with kings is there any need to change driving style or be more aware of certain things

GCM 2

So with kings is there any need to change driving style or be more aware of certain things

No change whatsoever....... unless you are really going to over do the ride height and have the 1980's look of sky high monster truck stance. Other than that, it will actually increase your jeep's on road characteristics to be more sports car like, the EVO spec'd Kings are absolutely the best performance upgrade you can do.

bl17z90

Just want to make sure you realize that a spring and shock setup would be removed and replaced with the coilover if you were to go that route.

Top Bottom