Control Arms and Flex question

matt1171

I'm in the process of changing out my factory control arms to adjustable arms. Since I'm not changing them out all at once is there any recommended order of which ones to replace to allow the most flex on the trail and keep all four tires on the ground? I already have adjustable front lowers to correct my caster. Which ones should be next?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you don't have them already, rear upper adjustable arms is what I would get as when it comes time for you to get a new rear drive shaft, they will be necessary to set your pinion angle. Unless you're changing out all 8 arms, you're not really going to see a whole lot of difference in your flex, if any at all.

matt1171

Thanks Eddie. So what contributes the most to good flex on the trail? Is it control arms? Does the amount of lift matter? If my friend has 4 inches of lift and I have 2.5 with all else equal, will he have better flex than me? I know down travel matters. What contributes to more down travel?

I really want to build a quality rig and understand what makes a difference and what doesn't and I don't want a tall lift.

Thanks for your help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. So what contributes the most to good flex on the trail? Is it control arms? Does the amount of lift matter? If my friend has 4 inches of lift and I have 2.5 with all else equal, will he have better flex than me? I know down travel matters. What contributes to more down travel?

I really want to build a quality rig and understand what makes a difference and what doesn't and I don't want a tall lift.

Thanks for your help.

Bind in the bushings can and will limit axle articulation but ultimately, you can only get as much flex as your shocks will allow your axle to travel.

matt1171

Thanks. That makes sense. So the main reason my friend can climb an obstacle without his back tire lifting is because he has longer shocks than I do and mine are limiting my rear down travel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. That makes sense. So the main reason my friend can climb an obstacle without his back tire lifting is because he has longer shocks than I do and mine are limiting my rear down travel?

For the most part, yes.

BBrown626

Yep, just longer shocks...
and bump stops extensions, longer springs, longer sway bar links, new wheels or spacers, rear track bar bracket, adjustable front track bar or drag ling flip, longer brake lines, adjustable front lower control arms, adjustable rear upper control arms, maybe new drive shafts, bigger tires to fill in the vacated area under the fenders, new gears for the differentials, new axles,.....:D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, just longer shocks...
and bump stops extensions, longer springs, longer sway bar links, new wheels or spacers, rear track bar bracket, adjustable front track bar or drag ling flip, longer brake lines, adjustable front lower control arms, adjustable rear upper control arms, maybe new drive shafts, bigger tires to fill in the vacated area under the fenders, new gears for the differentials, new axles,.....:D

LOL!! Like I said, "for the most part..." :D

Top Bottom