Too much Dino juice

rox-n-mud

2012 3.6, out of an abundance of money and shear laziness I have the stealership change my oil. The level on the dip stick every time seems to be twice as high as the middle of the depression on the pot metal. Maybe another half inch up from normal. The dudes at the shop say they put in the correct amount after a 30min drain. They checked the dip stick and it's the right one. Can I get a witness?

Sent from my eyephone while using my eyephone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely, they are just adding a full 6 quarts as opposed to 5 and a half or so. You should be fine and really, if anything were to go wrong, they are doing the work and have a record of it.

rox-n-mud

More than likely, they are just adding a full 6 quarts as opposed to 5 and a half or so. You should be fine and really, if anything were to go wrong, they are doing the work and have a record of it.

In the past I've taken almost 2qts. out. Double height on the dip stick is way more than 1/2 qt. Does this create higher crankcase pressures?

Sent from my eyephone while using my eyephone

jeeeep

Hooked
I had a Jeep Grand that I took to the dealer for every oil change, I happened to check it since I was overdue on a change and it was overfilled.

Begin to check it after each time the dealer changed it and sure enough it was over filled and....they were charging me for the extra quarts!!! luckily I'm a pack rat and kept every receipt as I went through them they had been charging me for extra quarts every time.

I don't know about the newer engines but in the older ones too much oil was as bad as not enough, what can happen is the oil fills the cylinder too much it may burn but since oil doesn't compress it can cause engine damage.

A little isn't bad but 2 qts is too much IMO

Top Bottom