PDA

View Full Version : Firestik Antenna

JethroJK
10-21-2013, 12:09 AM
So I installed my CB today and realized that the Firestik antenna a friend had given me over a year ago is the Firestik KW antenna and is not a Firestik II like I thought. For those that do not know the difference, a KW does not have a tunable screw knob on top like a Firestik II.

Now I only know all this info because of what I had read and now here is the question:

This weekend I am tuning the antenna with a friend. Has anyone ever tuned the KW antenna? I am understanding that you basically have to cut off the top. If anyone has tuned a KW what was the best cutting tool? Last, should I just by one that has the tunable knob?

Army_Vet
10-21-2013, 12:56 AM
So I installed my CB today and realized that the Firestik antenna a friend had given me over a year ago is the Firestik KW antenna and is not a Firestik II like I thought. For those that do not know the difference, a KW does not have a tunable screw knob on top like a Firestik II.

Now I only know all this info because of what I had read and now here is the question:

This weekend I am tuning the antenna with a friend. Has anyone ever tuned the KW antenna? I am understanding that you basically have to cut off the top. If anyone has tuned a KW what was the best cutting tool? Last, should I just by one that has the tunable knob?

What do you need to know? you don't literally cut the antenna.

JethroJK
10-21-2013, 01:04 AM
How do you shorten a KW then? It doesn't have a adjustment top. From what I read online you actually cut the top off slightly. Is that incorrect?

JethroJK
10-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Or do you just cut some of the coiled wire off?

Brian.243
10-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Take the white cover off the top and snip of a coil then put cap back on and check swr. Then repeat until you are happy with swr. Don't check it inside your garage or next to building.

JethroJK
10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Take the white cover off the top and snip of a coil then put cap back on and check swr. Then repeat until you are happy with swr. Don't check it inside your garage or next to building.

Got it. I am assuming the guy that gave it to me used it before so hopefully he didn't cut too much off for my use. We will see. Thanks for the info.

Army_Vet
10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
How do you shorten a KW then? It doesn't have a adjustment top. From what I read online you actually cut the top off slightly. Is that incorrect?

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

This should help

JethroJK
10-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I appreciate the help.