Soaps (not the TV kind)

I was looking at some pics of rides today while looking for parts and noticed some of these rides, such as (sorry guys) Moby, Rubicat,and a few others looked like they've never seen a trail in their lives. We all know this isn't true,they get used and abused just as any other, but what to do about keeping those certain areas (OCD triggers) along the frame and wheel wells looking shiny new? Is there some special hard to find/high priced soap that can do this? I usually take my ride to one of those "do it yourself" carwashes or the valet kind depending on how vindictive I feel like being. But those areas, although, less muddy and dirty, look like they were never washed at all. What's the ancient Chinese secret ??

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Heholua

I was looking at some pics of rides today while looking for parts and noticed some of these rides, such as (sorry guys) Moby, Rubicat,and a few others looked like they've never seen a trail in their lives. We all know this isn't true,they get used and abused just as any other, but what to do about keeping those certain areas (OCD triggers) along the frame and wheel wells looking shiny new? Is there some special hard to find/high priced soap that can do this? I usually take my ride to one of those "do it yourself" carwashes or the valet kind depending on how vindictive I feel like being. But those areas, although, less muddy and dirty, look like they were never washed at all. What's the ancient Chinese secret ??

Tire foam is the secret, after you wash. GCM2 laid it out in a thread here somewhere.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
just waiting for the cleaning master greg to chime in here, i know i feel like i cant ever get my rig clean, not like i really try but still.

just waiting for the cleaning master greg to chime in here, i know i feel like i cant ever get my rig clean, not like i really try but still.

Thanks for popping in Hinrichs, I thought there would be pages of answers by now,lol

Actually, now wondering what that guy in the rollover vid everyone is watching will use to clean his rig? Lmao

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, GCM 2 is the master cleaner here and hopefully he'll have some time off his busy schedule to chime in.

For me, I try to start off with a good pressure wash. From there, I take my time and hand clean what I can - any ol' car soap will do the trick so long as you put in the elbow grease. Tire shine and armoral will do great to clean up the frame, bumpers, etc. If you're in a pinch, WD40 works too.

Serg5000

I use Dawn dish soap. Works very well. It's made to cut grease and sticky lubes. As for the frame. I just take the terry towel soak it with the soap and scrub. I'm not a fan of anything that's going to attract dirt and dust. The trick for us is after every run I scrub the crap out of it inside and out.

BrowniesJK

Don't use dawn or any other dish soap on your jeep. It does cut grease but just like it cuts grease it cuts wax. Car soaps are made to foam. The suds are what helps pull the dirt from the surface. You will notice your hands are dry after dish soap but not car soap. Your paint will feel the same. Not trying to ruffle any feathers just my $.02 I have had several show trucks and sports cars and was a detailer for several years. As Eddie and a few others said above armor all is a great cleaner. I pressure wash, elbow grease, dry, and then spray all the wheel wells and under carriage and let drip dry. It will be show ready in about 20 min after spraying :) plus it keeps things slick so mud and dirt come off easier next time.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Dish soaps do have their place in car washing but they should not be used for paint cleaning all of the time. For an average wash, dish soap is too strong and will remove any protection you do have on your paint. Most car wash soaps you buy at the local auto parts store are slightly less strong variants of dish soap and are usually too much for washing paint again. Not to say these soaps never have a place, such as when you want to remove all of the layers on your paint and start over again.

If you head on over to Drive on youtube there is a collection of videos by a detailer named Larry Kosilla out of nyc. His company and brand is called Ammo NYC and those videos on drive along with the videos he has on his Ammo NYC youtube channel will really open your eyes as to how crazy the detailing world can be.

I have used several of his products including his paint soap which is much milder than dish soap so it doesn't remove all of the protection on your paint for an average weekly wash. I also like his wheel cleaning products and the real trick product is called Hydrate which is used with damp (yes damp) microfiber towels to dry your paint and I promise you will not get a better streak free and shiny dry than that.

To Larry's credit, yes he would like you to buy his products but his videos are extremely informative and his motto is to use what you like and use it often. Also, there is discount from The Smoking Tire for free shipping at Ammo if anyone is interested PM me.

Chris

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
ok, my jeep is not the cleanest rig around by far but I will offer my secrets:
- If you have a Warn Power Plant or other air source on your rig use it to blow out the inside and outside after every trail. This is minimize cleaning time.
- After a good power wash/hand wash combo I use Lemon Pledge on everything outside except the tires. (paint, soft top, fenders, everything)
- On this inside I use Meguiar's spray and shine.
- I always have a can of flat black in the jeep for the rocker guards, bumper, axles, or anything else that needs touched up.

Now I say this and follow these tips with good intentions, but my rig is one of those that are forever dirty. A rig that is used frequently and is clean takes a TON of effort.

Last edited:
And of course being a trucker for a living one would think I knew all the secrets of cleaning. But I drive a 2013 Freightliner that is 90% skirt on the outside, easy to keep clean.

Jiffy05

I like to pressure wash mine first then just use a good car wash soap and then I use tire shine on a lot of the outside parts including the engine when I clean that. Usually I like to give my jeep a good coat of wax after a couple washes also just so it will be easier to clean the next time. For the inside I like meguiar's for the inside detailing. I am very OCD when it comes to cleaning so it usually takes about 6-8 hours to get it to the point I like.

GCM 2

Tire foam is the secret, after you wash. GCM2 laid it out in a thread here somewhere.

Yes, I did. I had that thread deleted by the NSA due to overwhelming stupid questions about the toxicity of tire foam,

I thought of trying that but figured it to be a bad dust collector since we in the land of fruits and nuts (CA) live in a dust bowl.

Yes, it will collect some dust. However, the point of the tire foam is to penetrate the embedded mud, dirt stains, etc, and return the surface to a much cleaner condition (if not like new).

The below comments are not directed at hinrichs, the OP, anyone quoted above, or any slightly mentally handicapped, albino, militant Eco-terrorist who may be reading this post. Everyone else, I'm mostly directing both barrels of 00 buck shot right in your face. Thank you in advance for your understanding:

First- how I maintain my jeep's finish IS NOT HOW I MAINTAIN ANY OF MY OTHER VEHICLES (yes, I am yelling).

Second- its a damn jeep, and if you are utilizing it as the immortal gods of off roading have intended them to be used, it will get dirty, scratch and occasionally bent and broken. So either accept this, or just keep pretending you really are wheeling your jeep exceptionally hard and keep on living life in denial. YOLO.....holla!

Three- even though its a jeep, it will see some wear and tear, and it could get a few permanent trail scars.....does not mean it still can't look really freaking awesome between the trail runs that get it dirty. Because we all want our jeeps looking nice when we are doing what wenormally do in our rigs, and for what is truly the real reason we bought them; see this link- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11388-Nothing-but-Malls-and-Parking-Lots

Four- wash your jeep however you want- pressure washer, garden hose, gas station drive through, student/school fund raiser next to the fast food joint that uses two under age bikini clad girls to lure you in because they're holding a neon colored sign yelling something stupid, whatever...... After the jeep is washed, try to ALWAYS use a quick spray on/wipe off detailer wax like MacGuiars Ultimate Quick Detailer for the painted surfaces. Now for the tire foam tips pertaining to the underside of the jeep, frame rails, axles, wheel wells-

- never coat or soak bushings, seals or electrical components/junctions/connectors with tire foam. A little overspray will not hurt.
- hopefully you tried to clean the affected stained, dirty areas with decent pressure and there is not huge chunks or accumulations of dried on mud or gunk. If so, removed with brush or scraping, or even re-pressure wash
- for the identified areas that need de-staining (possibly an actual word), apply about the same amount of tire foam you would apply to tires
- for heavily stained areas, hit it with a little bit heavier coating, let soak overnight and re-inspect in the morning
- if stains still exist, try another coating.
- once you achieve the results you can live with, you can probably hit frame rails, wheel wells, axle tubes, differentials about every other wash.
- the underbody can actually take a few cans of tire foam to achieve decent clean results. However, it will not need to be done as often.
- dust collecting, yes it will accumulate a light coating of dust. But it's in areas that are typically not noticed by most people. Most importantly what that dust is collecting on is a thin, greasy, protective film that soaks the metal surfaces and makes it difficult to stain in the future.

I will attach some photos in a minute. I'm flying in a 737 and posted this response on the HTML site and need to switch to the Wayalife App. Please occupy yourself with a word puzzle or maybe do some coloring while I look thru some photos ...

I'm back....how was the puzzle? Did you finish? Or did you color something really fancy? Did you stay between the lines? Be honest....

Here are some photos I have posted so many times, I actually want to get rid of them from my albums, so I can't share them anymore.

From the 2012 JKX, trust me and ask anyone on the forum here that was a part of it, our rigs were so much worse in person. This took three days of really intense detailing, but EVOJEEP was as good as it was before the JKX once I finished.

image-2168925486.jpg

image-1858052474.jpg

image-4293464397.jpg

Three days later

image-2904501284.jpg

image-1919480965.jpg

image-888696352.jpg

And much more recent, still clean after four years of ownership and mall pimping....

image-2893922954.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for the insight. Will you he holding a clinic in the near future we can sign up for. I am a little lost on the who using tire foam on something other than the tires. Just cannot wrap my feeble mind what you are describing. :cheesy: Pictures help.

Top Bottom