Bumper Question

JKU EXTREME

I know there are ALOT of bumper threads...but, I can't find one that contains this question.
Are there any front bumpers that can be installed without cutting or grinding, I'm fin with drilling but not with cutting or grinding (at least not yet). I want to have a functional mid-width or stubby bumper that can be thrashed on occasion and look good all the time. I would preferably like an American made bumper, but anything but smittybilt.
Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully comment.
-John

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of bumpers that can be installed without any cutting or even drilling but, if you have a 2012 or newer JK, you may need to address your vacuum reservoir. Of course, I know that OverlanderJK did that simply by flipping it and so far, it's worked great. Some bumpers I would recommend are LoD if you wish to install a winch down in between your frame rails or, there's Hanson which will have your winch sitting on top of the bumper but, slightly recessed between the frame rails - this actually is just a plug and play bumper regardless of what year JK you have.

There are plenty of bumpers that use the stock mounting locations. I just recently purchased and installed a PSC Brawler Lite and there was no cutting involved. (Although there would be if I went with the lower air-damn skid).

When your shopping for bumpers look for the installation instructions. Many online retailers include a link. I always do this because it gives me a good idea of what I'm in for. If you don't find them there do a YouTube search...I almost pulled the trigger on a Ace Engineering front bumper but decided not to due to the installation instructions. (Video in this case). While I am okay with a little trimming, their's requires a lot and renders the crush zone of the stock frame rail useless.

Happy Shopping!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed a Warn Rock Crawler w/o bar. Love it and totally bolt on. Another reason I could use factory fog lights. There are others out there as well.

ForumRunner_20130920_212012.jpg

Ldogg

The Brawler lite didn't require any additional cutting/drilling on my 08. Worst part was the stupid airdam removal. You need 6-8" socket extensions and deep sockets to install.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382539576.002133.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382539602.368191.jpg

Panda

I have the PSC mid width brawler it's very easy to install with a deep socket & the correct extension, painting it is the hardest part, had find new fasteners for the fog lights just needed a lil bigger screw, ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382543110.719123.jpg it sure looks nice tho! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382543178.132032.jpg

JK-JOHN-E

I would check out the LOD stubby signature. It has the foglight option, and the winch sits between the frame and bumper. That's the one I'm gonna go with after the first of the year when I get my Christmas bonus.:rock:

mtnbiker995

Most JCR front bumpers don't involve cutting or drilling anything depending on what options and version bumper you get.

1yellowjk

I'll throw in my bumper..Best Top Highrock...

Factory fog lights cutouts, built in winch plate and well made.....even has provisions for a hoop/or stinger if your good with a welder.

Attachments

• gecko2.jpg
    gecko2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 107
  • boring jeep.jpg
    boring jeep.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 107

KennyFrench

My next door neighbor - reddkapp - installed Rugged Ridge modular bumper and said it was a straight bolt on. She did say the Rugged Ridge rear bumper was a little jacked. It has slotted holes for mounting, but the nuts are welded on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i will throw in my :twocents: . i have the Ruggid ridge modular bumper (stubby) . it is a straight forward install with no cutting. uses the factory fogs and the winch sits between the frame rails. is it the best bumper out there? no. is it a solid bumper that gets the job done? yep!

Last edited:
I have a shittybuilt rear and a warn front. The tire carrier looks pretty weak so that part of it is getting "deleted" asap.:thumbup:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Top Bottom