Cause for concern

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So, I'm doing my weekly check on, around and under my Jeep, and I notice a little spot of fluid under the rear of it. I crawl underneath and find this.
DSCN0388.jpg

Pinion seal leaking. So, I contact the dealership to get it fixed, and have them check out a small whine that I hear every once in a while at idle. When I picked it up the next day, I was informed that not only was the pinion seal leaking, but the water pump needed to be replaced as well. It only has 5300 miles on it! Are you kidding me? I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Very disappointing! :banghead:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you haven't done a regear yet, I am surprised that your pinion seal would be leaking but, your water pump going out is another story. I've already gone through one and have only put on about 10,000 miles on my new one and it's starting to go :naw:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Assuming you haven't done a regear yet, I am surprised that your pinion seal would be leaking but, your water pump going out is another story. I've already gone through one and have only put on about 10,000 miles on my new one and it's starting to go :naw:

I have not regeared yet and was very surprised as well. And the water pump, well crap. I've been down this road before with a Land Rover. I hope this doesn't turn into something like that. I guess I just expected that a new Jeep shouldn't have problems like that. Not sure what to make of it. I hope its just a fluke thing, but considering your on your 2nd water pump, I guess no such luck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have not regeared yet and was very surprised as well. And the water pump, well crap. I've been down this road before with a Land Rover. I hope this doesn't turn into something like that. I guess I just expected that a new Jeep shouldn't have problems like that. Not sure what to make of it. I hope its just a fluke thing, but considering your on your 2nd water pump, I guess no such luck.

Well, the 3.6L is a new motor and as much as I love the power it has, I knew it would have hiccups like this. I assume they will get it figured out - I just hope it'll be while I'm still under warranty for it. I'm already way out of my basic warranty.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well, the 3.6L is a new motor and as much as I love the power it has, I knew it would have hiccups like this. I assume they will get it figured out - I just hope it'll be while I'm still under warranty for it.

Ain't that the truth. Hate to hear you guys having problems. My friend has one with the new engine. Has been in a few times for problems. All covered fortunately.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm at 12,000 on my '13 and it makes that little screech/whine at idle every once in a while too.

That's how my issue started, just a small intermittent screech/whine at idle, no real consistency to when it would happen. I had them look at it since I had to have the pinion seal replaced anyways. Luckily, I still have plenty of warranty left. I just hope they get everything sorted before I'm out of warranty!

jesse3638

Hooked
Mine wasn't a pinion seal but I had the rear passenger side axle seal go out on me at around 12k. Covered under warranty no questions asked. I was concerned because I am running aftermarket wheels/tires (35's) and thought they might try to blame it on that. Had it in and out in a day.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Mine wasn't a pinion seal but I had the rear passenger side axle seal go out on me at around 12k. Covered under warranty no questions asked. I was concerned because I am running aftermarket wheels/tires (35's) and thought they might try to blame it on that. Had it in and out in a day.

I feel your pain. I was concerned they were going to somehow claim that a leveling kit and 33s were some how the cause of the seal and water pump going out. Ive heard horror stories. They had it in and out the same day, no issues, no questions asked. Next time I take it in for an oil change im going to ask what exactly I can modify under warranty and how it would affect my warranty at that dealship. Just curious.

Top Bottom