4 low problem

rubicrawl

I have a small problem this morning I went to try out my 4 low cause last time I went wheeling I thought it wasn't engaging well this morning I tried it and sure enough it wasn't working this is what it's doing I went up to a hill engaged it 4x4 low I locked the front and rear disconnected the sway bar so now I'm on full 4by mode I went up the hill just fine well when I turned around and headed down the hill being on 4 low I could just release the brake and it crawls it's way down well it doesn't it feels like it pops into neutral or a high gear and it rolls down the hill fast where I have to hit the brakes and I release the brake again and it coasts down the hill fast again like it doesn't engage the 4 low so does anybody know what might be wrong? Thank you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you do have an automatic and depending on how steep the hill was, that sounds about right.

rubicrawl

Yes automatic and yes it was pretty steep and last time I went wheeling it was also pretty steep and it was doing the same thing so this time I made sure I was on 4 low that's weird it's never done that to me before and I let it roll and little to give it time to engage and nothing it feels like its in neutral ill end up burning my brakes if I go wheeling down a big steep mountain

ttfhell

Did you down shift to first going down the hill? Should be hugely different than in drive.

Yes I love jeepin on a budget because I can show my driving skills more that others with coil overs and shit

Moochie

Sometimes if the transfer case is not totally secured in low range it can pop out of gear. It will go into neutral if this happens.

rubicrawl

I did after a few runs but I don't remember me having to do that or am I just tripping gosh maybe I am it just doesn't feel like low range cause it hauls butt down the hill lol

904Jeep

I let it roll and little to give it time to engage and nothing it feels like its in neutral ill end up burning my brakes if I go wheeling down a big steep mountain
You must select 1st gear on the automatic tranmssion to keep it from up shifting. This will make a tremendous difference on steep hills. This will allow engine braking to slow down the jeep for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you do need to be in 4LO and in 1st but even at that, it will not engine brake as well as a manual.

jkjurny

If you have it, try using Hill Descent Control. I'm loving that button. It'll use engine and brakes, letting you focus on the line.

jeff_in_rc

OK I have an auto TJ not a JK but like others have said, use 1st gear going down steep hills and you will be fine, ask me how I know.
Also I have found myself in neutral more than once by not getting it fully in 4low and I have found that if you are rolling JUST a little in either direction it makes it easier to get into 4low.

whiteyjfm

There is a huge difference between 4 low down a hill and been in neutral down a hill. I think you should be able to feel and hear the difference. Remember to put is in 1st gear manually (moving the gear lever to the riverside). You might know this but 90% of the people I wheeled with with the new 5 speed auto transmission think that "drive" in low gear is 1st gear, but it is not.

If you have done this and it still feel like the Jeep is running away with you, then I for one don't know. I hope this helps you.

Top Bottom