I need help

jackedup

I have a 12jku auto with aev 3.5 lift, 35" tires and flat fenders. I have only been off raod once since I bought it and I want to start getting off road more often with out the fear of breaking something. I bought the jeep originally because I love being able to take off the doors and hard top and enjoy the outdoor feeling and look. I didn't think there was any place close that I could take it off road so I didn't get a rubicon figuring I wouldn't need the front dana 44 or lockers. Now I have found that a place called roush creek is a reasonable distance and I want to make my front as strong as the rear.

I am confused about which way to due that. I have read about gussets and sleeves and axels and I've read about people swapping out to a pro rock or terra 44. my questions are: is it even worth doing gussets, sleeves and axels and gears(I plan on going to 37's) or would it actually be cheaper to get a pro rock or terra 44. 2: do these front differentials come ready to bolt in or are they just the housings. 3: what are the best type of lockers for a 2012 jku. 4: would I have to have a locker in the rear at the same time or could I wait and save a little ? I don't plan to go do a bunch of rock crawling but i want to know that if I do go on the rocks I'm not going to break something . I plan to increase my off road time to once a month. any help will be appreciated

Webe

Depends on how hard you want to play. I have 35s with ARB lockers 4.88 gears and chrome molly axles in my D30 front. I do the obstacles but don't horse it. You can run the 37s on it but as even with the 35s it will eventually break. So....for me I decided that this would get me a couple of years hopefully then have money in the bank for the d44 when the D30 does break. But if you have the cash just do the PR44s and be done with it. I didn't becuase I did the work myself and it only costed me $1300 to upgrade. If you have to pay someone then your probably looking at adding another $800 per axle for labor. Then add gussets and trussesand you're 1/2 way to the PR44 @ about 5K.:twocents:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Gussets for sure. Sleeves would be a waist of money (IMO). I would use that money to buy full circle clip axel shafts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gusset your front axle and then go have fun and don't worry about it. If you are too worried about it your not going to enjoy your trips. And in the mean time just read up more on here about axles. There is a ton of information on here.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Gusset your front axle and then go have fun and don't worry about it. If you are too worried about it your not going to enjoy your trips. And in the mean time just read up more on here about axles. There is a ton of information on here.

^^^ what OL said ...

BBrown626

Some general answers below. The best answer requires your budget and a feel for how much you expect your vehicle to withstand.

Is it even worth doing gussets, sleeves and axels and gears(I plan on going to 37's) or would it actually be cheaper to get a pro rock or terra 44.
- gusseting the C's is commonly accepted as a good thing to do.
- Sleeves are questioned by some. Not sure how much they really help.
- A pro rock or any brand of new axle assembly will cost much much more than sleeves or gussets. You can get sleeves, gussets and installation for as little as $400. Sleeves and gussets to not turn a factory axle assembly into a ProRock 44 though. If cost isn't a big factor, then get the ProRock and sell your stock unit to help offset the cost.

2: do these front differentials come ready to bolt in or are they just the housings.
- You can buy them with everything you need and I believe you can get them ready to bolt-in.

3: what are the best type of lockers for a 2012 jku.
- Detroit and ARB are popular. I don't know which is best and you will see lots of folks swearing by either one.

4: would I have to have a locker in the rear at the same time or could I wait and save a little ?
- You don't have to have both.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have read about gussets and sleeves and axels and I've read about people swapping out to a pro rock or terra 44. my questions are: is it even worth doing gussets, sleeves and axels and gears(I plan on going to 37's) or would it actually be cheaper to get a pro rock or terra 44.

As OverlanderJK said, just get out there and have some fun. Play with what you've got until it breaks or you can afford to upgrade. If I could guess, that will be a while.

2: do these front differentials come ready to bolt in or are they just the housings.

Being that you don't have a D44 to swap parts out of, yes, you would get a complete axle and it would just bolt in.

3: what are the best type of lockers for a 2012 jku.

If you see snow and ice in your area, I would get an ARB as they are selectable.

4: would I have to have a locker in the rear at the same time or could I wait and save a little ? I don't plan to go do a bunch of rock crawling but i want to know that if I do go on the rocks I'm not going to break something .

You don't need to do both at the same time but, if I had to choose, I would lock up just the rear.

jackedup

thanks for the reply's . If I were to get the Artec industries axle armor kit that includes c gussets ,chromoly axles and a regear would I be pretty solid to run say,advance trails and light rocks without breaking something

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the reply's . If I were to get the Artec industries axle armor kit that includes c gussets ,chromoly axles and a regear would I be pretty solid to run say,advance trails and light rocks without breaking something

Honestly, I simply cannot understand why there is so much hype about beefing up axle housings. Honestly, even if you were to bend it, it will not leave you high and dry. If you break an axle or worse, a ring and pinion, you will not have a good day. This is just me but, I would recommend that you save your money and at most, gusset your c's and install a set of chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips. Anything more than that and it'd be a waste - in my opinion of course.

jackedup

If you see snow and ice in your area, I would get an ARB as they are selectable.

are ARB lockers air lockers? and will I need an onboard compressor. also what does selectable mean. sorry if I seam dumb but i guess when it comes to jeeps I am. this is my 3rd jeep but the 1st one I modded

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
are ARB lockers air lockers? and will I need an onboard compressor. also what does selectable mean. sorry if I seam dumb but i guess when it comes to jeeps I am. this is my 3rd jeep but the 1st one I modded

Yes, you will need a small air compressor to actuate an ARB. Selectable meaning that you can turn it on and off. On slick surfaces like snow and ice, this is a HUGE bonus. Driving on slick surfaces locked up is flat out dangerous.

jackedup

Honestly, I simply cannot understand why there is so much hype about beefing up axle housings. Honestly, even if you were to bend it, it will not leave you high and dry. If you break an axle or worse, a ring and pinion, you will not have a good day. This is just me but, I would recommend that you save your money and at most, gusset your c's and install a set of chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips. Anything more than that and it'd be a waste - in my opinion of course.

Wayolife, who in ur opinion makes the best chromoloy axles

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wayolife, who in ur opinion makes the best chromoloy axles

Honestly, they are all pretty much in India now a days and pretty much the same. Some of the G2 axles are made by Foote which is here in America but, it's kind of hit and miss. Either way, I have found them to all work well SO LONG AS you make sure they come with full circle clips.

jackedup

does the compressor come with the locker or is it sold separately . if separately does ARB sell one that works with their lockers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
does the compressor come with the locker or is it sold separately . if separately does ARB sell one that works with their lockers

Yes, it's sold separately and ARB sells several different models of compressors to meet your needs. They have a basic one, one that will double as a compressor to air up your tires and then a big one that will do the later better. Having said that, you can use just about any compressor so long as you plumb it to work.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes, it's sold separately and ARB sells several different models of compressors to meet your needs. They have a basic one, one that will double as a compressor to air up your tires and then a big one that will do the later better. Having said that, you can use just about any compressor so long as you plumb it to work.

Yep what Eddie said.

I have the big twin compressor with a rear ARB locker that I just ha installed. I haven't off roaded with it yet due to new gears being installed at the same time but I am very happy with the set up! I can air up tires as well as a few friends tires and lock my rear when needed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385955061.498187.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom