Do these have a purpose?

Devallee

What's the purpose of these things besides being a pain in my ass when I wanna take the radiator fan out to clean the radiator? I like to play in the mud every chance I get so I'm hosing my radiator off pretty often and the clips holding these things in are just annoying. I'm thinking about just keeping it off for the winter unless there's a reason I should have them on. The first pic is of what seems to be the same thing just on the underside of the radiator (sorry it's hard to get a good pic of it). Thanks in advance for any insight

Attachments

• 1387079393120.jpg
    1387079393120.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 1387079403391.jpg
    1387079403391.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 316
I could be way wrong here, but my guess is to channel the airflow so it has no place to go but thru the radiator.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think ridge is correct but I also think that it is a heat shield in a way

Sent from my iPhone

mtnbiker995

I know for a fact that I don't have that one on top of the radiator installed, after my crash I didn't feel like buying that plastic piece so I said screw it. Over a year later and I've never had a problem with over heating or anything.

I agree that it's probably for air flow, I just don't think it's completely necessary if you don't want it.

It is probably more cosmetic than anything else and I doubt if removing it will cause any issues, just be sure that the piece in itself is not part of the upper radiator mount as the incoming airflow at highway speeds could possibly be enough to push the radiator back into the engine, which wouldnt be good. Another idea you can try would be to find a way to stretch and attach a piece of metal window screen material across the inside of your grill. This concept is used a lot with 18-wheelers to keep dirt and bugs out because cleaning those radiators can be a royal pain in the ass. This would help reduce the amount of mud without disrupting the Fung Shui of our sacred 7 slot grill design.( This too would be bad ):thumbup:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Last edited:

Devallee

Ok thanks guys I'll just leave it for now until it irritates me again next time I need to clean the radiator haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, they are there to help keep the air flowing through the radiator instead of slipping past it.

Top Bottom