I Need your feedback/ help on “ESP/BAS warning light” issue!!

snapfish

Hi all
I Need your feedback/ help on “ESP/BAS warning light” issue!!

Off-roading, I was in 4L and had my differential lockers ON (front and back- solid light indicators on instrument cluster.) While navigating a tight spot, I had to go in reverse. My engine suddenly cutoff.
I cycled the ignition switch, started the jeep and drove on. A few minutes later, I noticed the diff lock lights flashing. Thinking it was trying to engage, I hit the lockers switch to OFF then ON, then back to OFF.
The rear locker light indicator went OFF, but the front KEPT flashing (as it was trying to engage.) After I finished the trails, I went back to 2H. However, the front axle stayed engaged, and front diff lights kept flashing.

I tried everything (driving forward, and backward, shifting the differential to natural, 2H, 4H, 4L, etc…) but the darn thing kept stuck in 4-wheel mode (4H).
So I manually unplugged the wires to the “Axle Locker Sensor”, and then the front differential locker lights went OFF. Thinking the issue is now resolved, I started to drive, just to find out
the front axle did not disengage, and remained in 4H.

While limping home, I made a sharp right turn into a street (front wheels, and steering wheel whappled like crazy, and jeep almost came to a full stop), and then drove straight; immediately I noticed
my steering wheel NOW off center and was at 6:00. I looked at the instrument cluster and all the sudden I got two lights came on. One was the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light”,
and the other is “ESP/BAS warning light” (see pic below.)

I hit the switch to turn OFF the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light,” and it went OFF. However, the “ESP/BAS warning light” will not go OFF.

Once I got home, I centered my steering wheel, and did a "Driveway Alignment." I opened the front diff cover and using a hard plastic tool, I prayed the plate next to the locker switch (doing that will disengaged the stucked 4H/ locker). I put back the cover, filled with fluid, and test drove the jeep.

Success, the differential disengaged and now I am in 2-wheel drive mode. I further tested by driving on dirt with 4H; 4L, diff locks ON/ OFF, then back to 2H and all working fine now.

However, the “ESP/BAS warning light” will not go off (despite driving for 15 miles @65mph on the freeway in a hope the vehicle computer/ brain cycles back to normal)

What could be the problem and how to fix the “ESP/BAS warning light” issue?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mike.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2.5"lift, with stock wheels& tires

ABSESPBASLight2.jpg

Moochie

Yes, possible damage to one of your front wheel speed sensor wires. If you have a code reader it might point you in the right direction.

HLKSMSH

I had the same problem come to find out I didnt pull the wheel sensor wire down after I lifted my jeep and ripped one of the wires in half spliced them back together disconnected the battery for 30min and all was good.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I might start with disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and seeing if that resets it first (or use your programmer if you have one). If it does and it comes back, then take a look at your speed sensors and wires. Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I might start with disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and seeing if that resets it first (or use your programmer if you have one). If it does and it comes back, then take a look at your speed sensors and wires. Good luck!

Agreed, I would start with this as it's free and will help you to know for sure what to look at next.

snapfish

Hi All,
Thank you very much for all your feedback, and great ideas.

I checked all speed sensors, and wiring and all looked OK.
Visually, i can't see anything that looks out of place. I will test all wires and circuits using voltmeter.

I do not have a procal code scanner (all i have is a lame ELM 327 bluethooth OBD2 reader, and it showed no codes).

as suggested by all, I have disconnected the battery and will let it sit overnight and see if that correct the issue.

thank you.
mike

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Funny I had the same lights on my 07 this weekend. 1387349070425.jpg I don't know if this fixed mine or just temporarily fixed it..but I did a real good cleaning around my sensor and the light's have been off for 2 days now. If your battery doesn't fix it. Try spraying around the sensor with water.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jims68

Agreed on all the above first. Another thing to check is your brake switch in back of your brake peddle. You should have 12 volts coming in on center pins and outside ones one hot no brake and flip flop to other side hot with brake. Mine showed 5 or 6 volts one side and did not work! Also my cruise control did not work either. You can have a code set that will not let you use cruise, remote start and you will go into a partial abs mode till the problem is resolved. You will not see the code through dash, Procal and OBDII scanners. You would need a Chrysler scanner to see individual moduel codes such as which wheel has a bad sensor. They are only obligated to show you OBDII codes that are required by the government that effect certain parameters. Clean out all of your sensors including ABS sensor and ring on your axle. Reset codes or start and drive and it will either clear or come back. Worst case would be problem with ABS pump or ABS pump computer which 07 and 08 did have some issues. If your ABS does pulse the wheels yet if you take it on gravel or something and do a slide or skid then the pump, computer for pump and sensors are most likely good and something else is going on. Like I have said before the Jeep CanBus can be a pain in the arse!!

biggy

a bad unit bearing can give you wheel sensor faults as well. Check for play in the bearing. This has been the culprit for me twice .

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

snapfish

I Need your feedback/ help on “ESP/BAS warning light” issue!! FIXED, FIXED FIXED.

Funny I had the same lights on my 07 this weekend. I don't know if this fixed mine or just temporarily fixed it..but I did a real good cleaning around my sensor and the light's have been off for 2 days now. If your battery doesn't fix it. Try spraying around the sensor with water.

Hi ALL,
Again, I cannot thank you enough for your outpour of support and ideas.:blush:
Without your suggestions, I would not have been able to fix this issue on my own and for FREE.... (It would have cost a $$$ if fixed at the dealership....---$$$ I do not have as I am between jobs:naw:)

I followed everyone’s suggestion to the letter:
1-cozdude, and HLKSMSH suggested checking for ripped/ damaged wires to the sensors..................I checked and did not find anything wrong with them.
2- Moochie suggested checking the speed sensors/ wires......... I pulled out all 4 sensors and found them OK... ( yet sensors were a bit dirty and have greasy grime on them--- i left them alone and did not clean them)
3- MTG, and wayoflife suggested disconnecting the battery for twenty minutes......... I disconnected the battery over night and reconnected again and found “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light”, and “ESP/BAS warning light” still ON.
4-I did a "Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset"; however, that did not help. After the ECU reset, the lights still ON:gaah:.

The FIX:

As suggested by "SIMONJK", I went back again at the sensors. I removed the sensors again, used electric connector’s cleaners, and made sure sensors have no grime or any kind of grease on them. i put them back... did a full under belly, and over the engine degreaser cleaner and waited 10 minutes then washed the whole jeep. once i completed the wash, I drove the jeep....a few hundred feet, and …. TA DA :wings:……the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light”, and “ESP/BAS warning light” WENT OFF.... (NO more annoying ESP/BAS and ESP lights).:clap2:

Wayoflifers, thank you again.:bowdown:

Mike

PS. to: biggy (post#11), and jims68 (post#10), thank you too for your suggestions. i did not get to try your fix recommendations as issue was fixed as suggested by simonjk (post # 9)...:thankyou:

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Glad you fixed it. Sometimes I hate all the electrical stuff on the jks

Top Bottom