New shoes

Millsy

My new wheels (Procomp 17 x 8 w/4.5" backspace) are on the truck and on the way...finally.

Out of no where a Christmas bonus showed up and I'm now thinking about buying new tires too.

I have a 2007 Unlimited X.

Current tires are Hankook Dynapro AT-M 255/75R17 and I'm wondering if I could upgrade to 315/70R17 on the new wheels.

Since I am chained to city driving until the summer at the earliest (not that there's any places to off-road in southern Ontario anyway)
Would they rub anywhere?
Any general safety concerns?
Will the new wheel and tire fit properly as the spare on the back?
Do I have to cut/trim/remove anything?

I've read about gears etc. And while I have no idea if this matters yet... I found my build sheet and it says I have 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio, "next gen Dana 30 solid front axle, next gen Dana 44 Rear Axle, conventional differential front axle.

Appreciate any guidance you fine folks can provide.

Millsy

bl17z90

You can fit 315's on no problem with the wheels you have. And you can even fit the spare on without any modification.

Curious do you have any lift? If not you will need flat fenders and to trim your rear pinch seam to fit the 315's.

Millsy

no lift as of yet. I guess I'll rethink this for now. I'm not going to lift it for a while and I like my factory fenders

mrmet1983

no lift as of yet. I guess I'll rethink this for now. I'm not going to lift it for a while and I like my factory fenders

If you put a basic 2" budget spacer lift u can easily fit 35s with no cutting of the fenders since ur not wheeling but u wud rub when flexing off road I wud get a BB so u can have ur bigger tires and then when ur ready to put a full lift on just sell the spacers that's my two cents

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you put a basic 2" budget spacer lift u can easily fit 35s with no cutting of the fenders since ur not wheeling but u wud rub when flexing off road I wud get a BB so u can have ur bigger tires and then when ur ready to put a full lift on just sell the spacers that's my two cents.

You're right, you could fit 35's with just a basic budget boost but 315's do NOT = an advertised 35" tire. An advertised 35" tire will only measure up to about 33" in actual height and a 315 will measure up about 35" - this is close to what an advertised 37" tire measure up to. If you were to do this with a metric tire, a 305 would be a closer match.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
metric tires always confused me. isnt the 305, 315 the width? and the lets say the 70, 75 the heights of the sidewall? :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
metric tires always confused me. isnt the 305, 315 the width? and the lets say the 70, 75 the heights of the sidewall? :crazyeyes:

Not exactly. The 305 or 315 is the width of the tread but the 70 or 75 is the "percent" of the width that make up the sidewall height. AND, even at that, if you use a calculator or conversion chart to give you a number, what you will get is what the inch equivalent should be. If you were to take a tape measure and physically measure it, you would get a different reading. How do I know? I have done it with all the tires I have ever run.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Yes, the 315 means the tire is 315 MM wide, 70 means the sidewall is 70% of the width. So if you went down to a 16" wheel from a 17" wheel, you'd have to increase the sidewall to 75% to keep the overall diameter of the tire the same.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Not exactly. The 305 or 315 is the width of the tread but the 70 or 75 is the "percent" of the width that make up the sidewall height. AND, even at that, if you use a calculator or conversion chart to give you a number, what you will get is what the inch equivalent should be. If you were to take a tape measure and physically measure it, you would get a different reading. How do I know? I have done it with all the tires I have ever run.

yeah, i'd better stick with 35/12.5/17. i suck with numbers..thanks for the help. they just confuse me sometimes..

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Eddie is right. I run a 315/70R17 that is advertised at somewhere around 34.3". When I measured to calibrate with my procal, it came out a little above 33".

Maertz

Banned
I saw a picture (link below if it works) of a rig that's described as 2008, no lift with 315/70R17's on stock wheels with 1.5 spacers" Guy says he only had to trim the air dam. I love the look of this and hoped I could do the same but it sounds like that isn't the case.

http://centerphotography.com/images/space/whitejeepafter800.jpg

You could run 35s with no lift if you willing to cut stuff and set your bumps accordingly. Hell you could fit 37s if you cut enough. Your uptravel will be next to non exsistant though with your bumps set correctly.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You could run 35s with no lift if you willing to cut stuff and set your bumps accordingly. Hell you could fit 37s if you cut enough. Your uptravel will be next to non exsistant though with your bumps set correctly.

I think they look too big with no lift, LT285/70R17 is the biggest I would go with no lift. My two cents.

Millsy

I like the "fat" look that Jeep has. I'm such a rookie with this. If I wanted to lift it 2"...
I've read about "budget boost" but can't seem to find that reference here at the Canadian shops. When I look at 4wheelparts I see all types of lifts. Would a budget boost be a "body lift" or is it in the suspension category?

Sorry for all the questions.

Maertz

Banned
I like the "fat" look that Jeep has. I'm such a rookie with this. If I wanted to lift it 2"...
I've read about "budget boost" but can't seem to find that reference here at the Canadian shops. When I look at 4wheelparts I see all types of lifts. Would a budget boost be a "body lift" or is it in the suspension category?

Technically suspension, its not a body lift, you could do a body lift to help with uptravel. A budget boost is usually coil spacers.. Personally id get a basic 2" coil lift or something around there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, a body lift is just that, pucks that allow you to raise the body of your Jeep up off the frame. It will do nothing for performance, just give you more clearance under your fenders. A budget boost is typically a set of spacers that sit on top of your coils to give you more height for cheap. For your purposes, a "coil spacer" lift might help you to find what you're looking for.

Millsy

As mentioned, a body lift is just that, pucks that allow you to raise the body of your Jeep up off the frame. It will do nothing for performance, just give you more clearance under your fenders. A budget boost is typically a set of spacers that sit on top of your coils to give you more height for cheap. For your purposes, a "coil spacer" lift might help you to find what you're looking for.

something like this? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=DAYKJ09152BK

I really appreciate all of you responding, I'm a huge fan of the Jeep family.

I don't have many skills to offer with Jeep's but I can happily assist with any electrical/audio questions.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
something like this? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=DAYKJ09152BK

I really appreciate all of you responding, I'm a huge fan of the Jeep family.

I don't have many skills to offer with Jeep's but I can happily assist with any electrical/audio questions.

That is the lift you'd be looking for. I'd prefer it over a body lift because a body lift makes the frame hang down more than it already does beneath the rocker panels, looks horrible in my opinion.

Top Bottom