Another Lift Question

Firewrangler

So back before I new of the fine folks here at Wayalife,I purchased a 3 1/2 inch Skyjacker budget boost lift. The lift came with new shocks and coils and a bracket for the rear track bar (which is crap and broke my factory welds). I also put in the 3/4 inch pucks up front for future plans of sag from a new bumper. Since the lift, I have changed the rear bracket to a Rough Country track bar bracket. I've also put a bracket on the front track bar, and put on a drop pitman arm on to help. All from Rough Country. All this helped a little, but I've still never been happy with the ride. Lower control are in my plans someday! My question is this. Is it possible to change the coils, and lose some of my lift and maybe get a little softer ride? And if possible, and say I lose maybe an inch or so, then do I have to start changing pitman arms and track bar brackets again? Really wish I had found y'all before I lifted.

Firewrangler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387731961.673133.jpg
Here's how it sits now. Would also like to drop some of the lift because I plan on cutting my fenders and making them flat.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
It's most likely the cheap shocks that came with your kit. On the two door a lower lift will help the ride as well

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Personally I would chuck the drop pitman arm as it puts too much stress on your sector shaft and over time that coils cause a catastrophic failure. I would opt instead for a kit like the EVO Mfg. Flip kit which includes a a bracket to raise your trackbar AND a drag link which mounts on top of the knuckle which helps correct your steering geometry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So back before I new of the fine folks here at Wayalife,I purchased a 3 1/2 inch Skyjacker budget boost lift. The lift came with new shocks and coils and a bracket for the rear track bar (which is crap and broke my factory welds). I also put in the 3/4 inch pucks up front for future plans of sag from a new bumper. Since the lift, I have changed the rear bracket to a Rough Country track bar bracket. I've also put a bracket on the front track bar, and put on a drop pitman arm on to help. All from Rough Country. All this helped a little, but I've still never been happy with the ride. Lower control are in my plans someday! My question is this. Is it possible to change the coils, and lose some of my lift and maybe get a little softer ride? And if possible, and say I lose maybe an inch or so, then do I have to start changing pitman arms and track bar brackets again? Really wish I had found y'all before I lifted.

First off, I hate to break the news to you but I have installed and tested the RC track bar relocation brackets and they really aren't much better than the SJ's. I have seen them tear off front factory mounts right off the frame. As far as your ride goes, a majority of ride comfort comes from your coils and then followed by your shocks and then suspension geometry. Of course, running too much air in your tires will negatively effect your ride comfort as well. Assuming you are running around 30 psi or lower, I would recommend swapping out your coils to something like a set of EVO Plush Rides as they are about as comfortable as they come.

It's most likely the cheap shocks that came with your kit. On the two door a lower lift will help the ride as well

Yep, the old school hydros are nothing to write home about. Pairing up a nice set of coils with a decent set of monotube shocks like Rancho 7000 MT's or Bilstein 5100's would help out.

Firewrangler

Personally I would chuck the drop pitman arm as it puts too much stress on your sector shaft and over time that coils cause a catastrophic failure. I would opt instead for a kit like the EVO Mfg. Flip kit which includes a a bracket to raise your trackbar AND a drag link which mounts on top of the knuckle which helps correct your steering geometry.

Yeah, I knew the flip kit was the way, just wasn't in the budget!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Sounds like I should just go back to stock and start over.

Well the SkyJacker coils will get you by for the time being but if you want to address the pitman arm and steering geometry now you can install the flip kit.

You can replace parts as the budget permits. Maybe flip kit, shocks then coils.

Trust me I was in the "buy everything twice" category with my last JK. Now I have committed to buy once based upon my last experience. Don't get discouraged. You have the opportunity now to solicit input and make an informed decision, make the best of it.

Top Bottom