2013 JKUR Traction Control kicked on for no reason.

jhires

Tonight my traction control kicked on for no reason, slowed me down from 35mph down to about 10mpg with the traction control light blinking, before I hit the button to turn it off. Pavement was dry. I had just been accelerating, but not exceptionally quickly, and the tires certainly were not spinning. Tire pressure is equal in all four tires.

I parked, went into the store, came back out and it was fine on the way home.

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming your steering wheel is dead center, it could be you have a speed sensor failing or a unit bearing starting to go out. The later can allow for enough movement in the tone ring to cause it to send bad readings to the sensor.

jims68

Is your 13 stock if not what mods do you have? I have heard of this in a corner with a substantial lift and Traction Control thinks there is an issue with the body roll that can happen with some lifts. With a stock jk though especially a new one???????

jhires

Is your 13 stock if not what mods do you have? I have heard of this in a corner with a substantial lift and Traction Control thinks there is an issue with the body roll that can happen with some lifts. With a stock jk though especially a new one???????

Thanks Eddie, I'll look a bit more into those.

Jims68: It is stock with 23k on it.

Right Rudder

Thanks Eddie, I'll look a bit more into those.

Jims68: It is stock with 23k on it.

I've had traction control come on if I drove pretty aggressively around a steep downhill corner for example and one side of the suspension heavily unloaded through a turn, but after another 5 mins of normal driving it would kick back off.

13' JKUR 15k miles have only had this happen tywo or three times but it's the only thing i can remotely compare with your symptoms.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I've had traction control come on if I drove pretty aggressively around a steep downhill corner for example and one side of the suspension heavily unloaded through a turn, but after another 5 mins of normal driving it would kick back off.

13' JKUR 15k miles have only had this happen tywo or three times but it's the only thing i can remotely compare with your symptoms.

I've had this happen as well. Also had an issue when my Jeep was fairly new with the e-brake hanging up. I set it while at work (manual trans, I always set the parking brake) I left work, noticed a slight drag from the rear and I couldn't accelerate above 30mph, traction control light came on. I grabbed the E-brake lever and pulled it up and down, problem stopped shortly after. I think it was affecting wheel speed from left to right side, causing traction control to activate. Never did figure out why it hung up.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Bringing this back to life since I just had this happen to me in my 2011. Dropped Jodi off at her house after a 2 hour drive home from the beach and as I pulled away my traction control started to kick in. My steering wheel was off center so I straightened it. When I tried to drive away the second time the traction control sill kicked in. So I stopped and straightened my wheel even more to basically dead center. Now the third time I as I driving away my dash lights up like a Xmas tree with the airbag, traction control, abs, and so on. I just disconnected the battery and letting it sit for a bit. After reading this and a few other threads I am assuming that it's a bad speed sensor/wheel bearing and/or clock spring. Anyone want to weight in and help please

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom