Freeway speed around corner issue

JK's JK

Banned
EVO vs. Synergy Flip Kit

Hi Guys,

So I've owned the Jeep for a little over 6 months now and the first time driving long distance was the beginning of the week. I noticed when driving at freeway speeds going around corners my handling diminished and the handling became unstable. So I started to read a little on the issues with steering stability and how it should revert back to factory once you've reached over 3" of lift. So the three main parts that you have to worrie about is the trac bar, drag link and the tie rod. So I stared to read about the EVO flip kit and the Synergy flip kit. With the Flip kits it will bring the trac bar and the drag link flatter and then you can roll your tie rod to the top of the knuckle.

So I called and talked with a guy about the EVO setup and the Synergy setup. What was said is the EVO drag link uses a factory drag link setup and the Synergy uses a beefer drag link but accomplishes the same task. However the EVO compared to the Synergy is a difference in price.

My main question would be the difference between the two and would this fix the issue that I'm having?

Thank you guys.

Last edited:

AZDIESELPIG

Hi Guys,

So I've owned the Jeep for a little over 6 months now and the first time driving long distance was the beginning of the week. I noticed when driving at freeway speeds going around corners my handling diminished and the handling became unstable. So I started to read a little on the issues with steering stability and how it should revert back to factory once you've reached over 3" of lift. So the three main parts that you have to worrie about is the trac bar, drag link and the tie rod. So I stared to read about the EVO flip kit and the Synergy flip kit. With the Flip kits it will bring the trac bar and the drag link flatter and then you can roll your tie rod to the top of the knuckle.

So I called and talked with a guy about the EVO setup and the Synergy setup. What was said is the EVO drag link uses a factory drag link setup and the Synergy uses a beefer drag link but accomplishes the same task. However the EVO compared to the Synergy is a difference in price.

My main question would be the difference between the two and would this fix the issue that I'm having?

Thank you guys.

I dont know about cornering, but eiher setup would fix bump steer and or flighty steering. I plan to instal the synergy setup because if I remeber correctly it has a beefier knuckle where the EVO uses the stock ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Guys,

Thank you guys.

Is there a reason why you just don't go with whatever the "guy" you talked to recommends?

In a nutshell, you don't need to waste any money by buying a new tie-rod or orange knuckles as it will NOT fix your handling problem. Factory knuckles are plenty strong enough. Flightly steering is a problem with caster and you would need to adjust that with your control arms. Installing a draglink flip/track bar relocation kit (regardless of brand) will restore your steering geometry and that will help with handling. Maybe it's just the camera angle but, looking at your avatar, your Jeep looks sky high. If it is, lowering it will help lower your center of gravity and that will help out a lot too.

I have run a myriad of steering setups in the past on my other JK's but now run the EVO kit with factory track bar and drag link. 65,000 miles later and it still works just fine. Regardless of what you choose to get, it'll help.

TrailBear

Are you sure your front sway bar is connected ? The rubi e disco is know to stop working and your sway bar may not be functioning, you would get a lot more body roll and an unstable feeling.

JK's JK

Banned
Is there a reason why you just don't go with whatever the "guy" you talked to recommends?

In a nutshell, you don't need to waste any money by buying a new tie-rod or orange knuckles as it will NOT fix your handling problem. Factory knuckles are plenty strong enough. Flightly steering is a problem with caster and you would need to adjust that with your control arms. Installing a draglink flip/track bar relocation kit (regardless of brand) will restore your steering geometry and that will help with handling. Maybe it's just the camera angle but, looking at your avatar, your Jeep looks sky high. If it is, lowering it will help lower your center of gravity and that will help out a lot too.

I have run a myriad of steering setups in the past on my other JK's but now run the EVO kit with factory track bar and drag link. 65,000 miles later and it still works just fine. Regardless of what you choose to get, it'll help.

Have to love that picture. It makes it look so much higher than it really is.... I wanted to have several other opinions on the topic before spending a good 300 on a part that might fix the issue that I'm having. I've read past posts that you've posted about the topic but didn't read about the specific topic that I'm experiencing. Really the difference between the two is $36. I've adjusted the caster with the help of BONDSY. We got the coils straight up and down. Did have major issue is the beginning when getting the Jeep.

Are you sure your front sway bar is connected ? The rubi e disco is know to stop working and your sway bar may not be functioning, you would get a lot more body roll and an unstable feeling.

My electric sway bar is fully connected.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly how fast are we talking about when you say speeding around corners? I mean, you are driving a lifted Jeep and not a 911. What shocks are you running? How tall are your sway bar links? Just to make sure, you are running a rear sway bar, right?

JK's JK

Banned
Exactly how fast are we talking about when you say speeding around corners? I mean, you are driving a lifted Jeep and not a 911. What shocks are you running? How tall are your sway bar links? Just to make sure, you are running a rear sway bar, right?

Im a slow driver in the Jeep. I was going around 64-67mph and I have to have both hands on the steering wheel to keep it in the corner. Loss of steering stability as I can explain it.

I have a Rubicon express long arm setup so the same shocks that come with the setup. I've been told there Bilstein shocks that are labeled Rubicon express. I plan to eventually buy the EVO double throw down and get coil overs so spending money on new shocks isnt on the list.

The sway bar links are adjustable. The front sway bar is not level since the sway bar links are slightly high by a inch from level to the ground.

I am running a factory rear sway bar. I was thinking last night the Currie setup was what I needed to go with but after reading a bit further its not needed and less handling.

***EDIT***

I have noticed the rear springs are not straight up and down. Not sure if this is a issue. I did check to see if all the bolts in the rear are there. The first day I got the jeep I went over to BONDSY's house and he found one of the rear sway bar bolts were gone.

Last edited:

Devallee

I had some issues with my steering and suspension geometry up front and I know that my steering has felt A LOT more stable since putting the evo drag link flip kit on. It used to be very flighty and unstable at freeway speeds but now it's as stable as it was when I drove it off the lot. A new SS to correct my bump steer and I'll be riding like new. I'm only at about 3" of lift but it has made a world of difference and would highly recommend it if having any type of stability problems when it comes to your steering. I cannot speak for the synergy kit but would definitely spend my money on the evo kit again in a heartbeat. Happy shopping :thumb:

JK's JK

Banned
I had some issues with my steering and suspension geometry up front and I know that my steering has felt A LOT more stable since putting the evo drag link flip kit on. It used to be very flighty and unstable at freeway speeds but now it's as stable as it was when I drove it off the lot. A new SS to correct my bump steer and I'll be riding like new. I'm only at about 3" of lift but it has made a world of difference and would highly recommend it if having any type of stability problems when it comes to your steering. I cannot speak for the synergy kit but would definitely spend my money on the evo kit again in a heartbeat. Happy shopping :thumb:

I do have a factory Steering stabilizer but BONDSY doesn't run one at all. I'm sure the sector shaft helps eliminate the need for that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im a slow driver in the Jeep. I was going around 64-67mph and I have to have both hands on the steering wheel to keep it in the corner. Loss of steering stability as I can explain it.

Don't get me wrong but, that sounds really fast to be cornering at. :shock:

I have a Rubicon express long arm setup so the same shocks that come with the setup. I've been told there Bilstein shocks that are labeled Rubicon express.

Okay, just checking

The sway bar links are adjustable. The front sway bar is not level since the sway bar links are slightly high by a inch from level to the ground.

Okay, just checking there too.

I am running a factory rear sway bar. I was thinking last night the Currie setup was what I needed to go with but after reading a bit further its not needed and less handling.

Yeah, no need to be spending money on something you don't need. Just checking.

I have noticed the rear springs are not straight up and down. Not sure if this is a issue.

No, shouldn't be an issue.

I do have a factory Steering stabilizer but BONDSY doesn't run one at all. I'm sure the sector shaft helps eliminate the need for that.

A steering stabilizer is nice to have but isn't needed if your steering is dialed in.

Devallee

This is true and I'm looking to find out what's off about my steering geometry to see why I'm still having the bump steer but I like having the SS anyways just for peace of mind and my stock one is shot. But as far as your handling issue goes, the evo flip kit worked wonders for me and probably fixed about 90% of my steering control issues and I'm sure it would help you as well

JK's JK

Banned
This is true and I'm looking to find out what's off about my steering geometry to see why I'm still having the bump steer but I like having the SS anyways just for peace of mind and my stock one is shot. But as far as your handling issue goes, the evo flip kit worked wonders for me and probably fixed about 90% of my steering control issues and I'm sure it would help you as well

I do plan on getting the flip kit as well. Just havent decided on the EVO or Synergy!!! I should get a aftermarket SS since I dont plan on running a sector shaft (at least I dont think so!!!).

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Don't get me wrong but, that sounds really fast to be cornering at. :shock:

Okay, just checking

Okay, just checking there too.

Yeah, no need to be spending money on something you don't need. Just checking.

No, shouldn't be an issue.

A steering stabilizer is nice to have but isn't needed if your steering is dialed in.

When I mean cornering, going from one freeway to another a interchange.

Rebel JK

I too had steering issues and once i replaced my steering box due to a shot pitman shaft bearing i thought i would be good to go. It partially fixed it but i still had a scary amount of "body roll" around 45-50 mph at the freeway exchanges. Im running the factory trac bar and recently did a bushing swap on the frameside and its literally night and day. I can roll down the freeway at 75 all day now and hold the same corners now without it pulling me outside. The factory bar has slightly different size od bushings so the moog set i bought only worked on one side. Assuming you are running a relocation bracket with the 3" lift already i would at least check the TB bushings.

Devallee

I do plan on getting the flip kit as well. Just havent decided on the EVO or Synergy!!! I should get a aftermarket SS since I dont plan on running a sector shaft (at least I dont think so!!!).

If Eddie is running it on his rigs, I'm sure it's plenty good enough to run on mine which is why I went with EVO and I have no regrets. Hopefully others running these kits will chime in but I personally give EVOs kit 5 stars but good luck with whatever you choose! :thumb:

Top Bottom