Steering Stabilizer

Devallee

I know they're not completely necessary if the suspension and steering components are set properly, but I like having one just for piece of mind. That being said, my stock one is shot and I would like to get a new one before I go back to school next week. If I can't find another stock one, which aftermarket SS might people recommend getting? I know nothing about SS brands so any help would be nice. Thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, just because one isn't "necessary", it doesn't mean that one isn't nice to have. I think the not being "necessary" is more to address those who think one is actually "needed" to prevent things like death wobble. I personally like a stock 2010 or newer SS and they should be easy to find at any dealership. If you can't track one down, a Rancho SS will be cost effective and easy to find at your local 4WheelParts store.

Devallee

To be clear, just because one isn't "necessary", it doesn't mean that one isn't nice to have. I think the not being "necessary" is more to address those who think one is actually "needed" to prevent things like death wobble. I personally like a stock 2010 or newer SS and they should be easy to find at any dealership. If you can't track one down, a Rancho SS will be cost effective and easy to find at your local 4WheelParts store.

Oh I know its not needed to prevent things like death wobble, but like you said I just think its nice to have one. But I will check the dealership and see if I can get one soon. How is the bilstien SS? I hear it causes the jeep to push to one side a little because it's too long or stiff or something? Just curious...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I know its not needed to prevent things like death wobble, but like you said I just think its nice to have one. But I will check the dealership and see if I can get one soon. How is the bilstien SS? I hear it causes the jeep to push to one side a little because it's too long or stiff or something? Just curious...

I do not like any gas charged stabilizers as they do in fact push your Jeep. They also cost way more than I think is worth for something you only really need to absorb kick back and is likely to get damaged on the trail. But, that's just me.

Devallee

I do not like any gas charged stabilizers as they do in fact push your Jeep. They also cost way more than I think is worth for something you only really need to absorb kick back and is likely to get damaged on the trail. But, that's just me.

Ok thank you for the help. Stock or rancho it is..whichever I can get sooner

Devallee

Does the year matter? Looking at the rancho one, they have an 07-10 and 11-14. Also what's the difference in the types? Like the RS5000 vs the RS7000MT?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the year matter? Looking at the rancho one, they have an 07-10 and 11-14. Also what's the difference in the types? Like the RS5000 vs the RS7000MT?

I don't think it should matter what year Rancho you get but, I'm not 100% sure. If I recall, back during 07-10, they had a different tie-rod mount they provided and it is possible that they've changed the 11-14 so that you could just use the factory mount. As far as the 7000MT goes, it's a monotube like a Bilstein and it will push. I would not recommend it.

Devallee

I don't think it should matter what year Rancho you get but, I'm not 100% sure. If I recall, back during 07-10, they had a different tie-rod mount they provided and it is possible that they've changed the 11-14 so that you could just use the factory mount. As far as the 7000MT goes, it's a monotube like a Bilstein and it will push. I would not recommend it.

Ok maybe I'll give them a call and ask. The SS itself looks identical. And a no go on the 7000MT. Thanks! :beer:

jvitou

what about the new ats from fox ? thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what about the new ats from fox ? thanks

Actually, it's a great steering stabilizer but at $360, I'd don't know if I could justify the cost especially being that you can drive your Jeep without one. I mean, that's almost a 3rd of the way to a ram assist. A factory stabilizer or basic hydro will do a great job of absorbing kick back and for a fraction of the cost. But, if you have money to burn, I'd say knock yourself out.

Top Bottom