Regearing

JKFlyer

Hey

Been going through my break in period on 5.13 gears with my 35" tires on my Automatic 2010 JK unlimited. Did my 5 heat cycles and am about 300 miles in. Do u truly have to wait 500 miles to test out the torque? I am dying to try here.

One weird thing I noticed is that on startup/first driving, I feel like gears are slipping a bit. Like a clutch slipping almost. Not all the time but more after jeep has been sitting a bit. Is this normal? Can be in 1st or 2nd gear. Does it go away?

I also thought regearing would change my shifting patterns but I am still ending up in 4th gear in my automatic ( 3.8 L) by 40mph. I am driving line a grandpa though to take it easy like my shop said and like Eddie's Q&A says to do, but I thought this would change. Keep in mind i do have superchips traildash.

Mileage seems to have gone down on highway but up around town. Maybe averaging 15 on both now as opposed to 12 and 18-19 like before

Curious your thoughts if all this is normal

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Hey

Been going through my break in period on 5.13 gears with my 35" tires on my Automatic 2010 JK unlimited. Did my 5 heat cycles and am about 300 miles in. Do u truly have to wait 500 miles to test out the torque? I am dying to try here.

One weird thing I noticed is that on startup/first driving, I feel like gears are slipping a bit. Like a clutch slipping almost. Not all the time but more after jeep has been sitting a bit. Is this normal? Can be in 1st or 2nd gear. Does it go away?

I also thought regearing would change my shifting patterns but I am still ending up in 4th gear in my automatic ( 3.8 L) by 40mph. I am driving line a grandpa though to take it easy like my shop said and like Eddie's Q&A says to do, but I thought this would change. Keep in mind i do have superchips traildash.

Mileage seems to have gone down on highway but up around town. Maybe averaging 15 on both now as opposed to 12 and 18-19 like before

Curious your thoughts if all this is normal

Thanks

PM cozdude. He has the same setup as you except maybe the traildash.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
here was my reply to his PM if anyone is interested or wants to elaborate.

Yea I waited for the full 500 miles to I hit it. But even then I still didn't fully hit it for a bit.

My shift points are about the same as they were. If mike reprogrammed yours like he did mine it should be the same. The computer will notice that you have the 5.13 now and not the 3.73's so your shift points will be good then.

You your city mileage will be around there for now but once you change your fluids and hit it more it will drop back down to about 13 city. As for highway I get about 16. I don't worry about it tho cause we are pushing around this big heavy jeep so it's bound to be low

TheDuff

Op, your mileage sounds pretty normal to me. I get 16 on the freeway and 15 around town with 5.13s and 35's. The sweet spot is 50-55 mph, I went on a 90 min drive where 50-55 was the average speed the entire time, I got over 19mpg avg.
1388674492225.jpg
Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

Op, your mileage sounds pretty normal to me. I get 16 on the freeway and 15 around town with 5.13s and 35's. The sweet spot is 50-55 mph, I went on a 90 min drive where 50-55 was the average speed the entire time, I got over 19mpg avg.
View attachment 62416

i agree as i have dont lots of highway and you are RIGHT ON wiht the 50-55 sweet spot

thing that is concerning me everyone is the slipping of the gears when i first start driving. not all the time, just about half the time on first startup.

TheDuff

Haven't experienced any feeling of slippage since I've had my gears

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're misunderstanding things a bit here. If you DON'T calibrate your speedometer to match your new tires and gear ratio, your shift point will be off a bit and enough to prevent you from seeing the benefits of your new gears. Being that you have a Trail Dash and have the ability to address this, your Jeep should shift about the same as it did stock.

JKFlyer

I think you're misunderstanding things a bit here. If you DON'T calibrate your speedometer to match your new tires and gear ratio, your shift point will be off a bit and enough to prevent you from seeing the benefits of your new gears. Being that you have a Trail Dash and have the ability to address this, your Jeep should shift about the same as it did stock.

so here is what i have experienced...with traildash set to 35" tires (actrually 34" b/c that is what gets speedo truly accurate and this si confirmed by Superchips Tech) and 3.73 gears, on straight and level road i was getting to 4th gear by 35-40 mph. this is one of main reasons why i regeared thinking i am shifting too fast and too soon (almost immediately goes to 2nd gear). after regear, then rpm's are dead on accurate to the chart you posted in Q&A section Eddie at 70mph, but still shifting same way (even after chanign to 5.13 on traildash). I thought the 5.13 gears would make it shift a little later and at slightly higher RPMs. I am still in 4th gear at 35-40mph. as for stock, i am not sure if this is normal as i put on 35's and traildash within one week of owning the JKU.

as for gears slipping every now and then at startup, does this sound normal? that is concerning to me

thx

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so here is what i have experienced...with traildash set to 35" tires (actrually 34" b/c that is what gets speedo truly accurate and this si confirmed by Superchips Tech) and 3.73 gears, on straight and level road i was getting to 4th gear by 35-40 mph. this is one of main reasons why i regeared thinking i am shifting too fast and too soon (almost immediately goes to 2nd gear). after regear, then rpm's are dead on accurate to the chart you posted in Q&A section Eddie at 70mph, but still shifting same way (even after chanign to 5.13 on traildash). I thought the 5.13 gears would make it shift a little later and at slightly higher RPMs. I am still in 4th gear at 35-40mph. as for stock, i am not sure if this is normal as i put on 35's and traildash within one week of owning the JKU.

Like I said, in addition to seeing the correct speed you're going, the benefit of recalibrating your speedometer is to help ensure that your shift points are correct and allow you to see the benefits of re-gearing. Nobody ever said that it would change your shift points to where you would prefer them to be or think they should be. Having said that, you do have a Trail Dash, what tune are you running?

as for gears slipping every now and then at startup, does this sound normal? that is concerning to me

What? Gears slipping?? Not sure what you mean by this but, the sound of that is concerning to me too.

Angry Aussie

I just got my 12 jkur on 37s re geared and used the bully dog tuner and my shift points have gone back to "stock feeling." I left the stock gears in for about 1000 miles and the shift points were a bit rough and the jeep would stay in the higher rpm range before shifting and now with the 5:13s it makes it feel like I'm driving a stock jeep again.

JKFlyer

Like I said, in addition to seeing the correct speed you're going, the benefit of recalibrating your speedometer is to help ensure that your shift points are correct and allow you to see the benefits of re-gearing. Nobody ever said that it would change your shift points to where you would prefer them to be or think they should be. Having said that, you do have a Trail Dash, what tune are you running?

I am running 87 octane tune (i think Tune #4). I noticed no idfference with higher octane tunes. So my question is, is getting to 4th gear on an automatic around 35-40mph (keeping the RPM's rather low and having to downshift to achieve more power if i push down on pedal)...is this normal, stock feeling?

What? Gears slipping?? Not sure what you mean by this but, the sound of that is concerning to me too.

Yes, feels just like if you were driving a stick and have clutched pushed in too much...it just slips a little bit on startup sometimes...like gears aren't gripping at first but then do after a few seconds

JKFlyer

can anyone answer if stock shifting on an automatic 3.8 (2010) should be almost immediately to 2nd gear, 3rd by 20-25mph and 4th by 35-40mph on straight and level road? per above, i am chipped and regeared to 5.13 gears lifted on 35's.

i dont know what stock shifting shold be like but i feel like i am always in too high a gear (better for gas mileage) but whenever i need power, a downshift must occur. it was like this before i regeared too. i thought regearing would hold me at higher rpms before shifting. superchip[s traildash seems to make no difference no matter what i enter for gear ratio

Is this normal? :idontknow:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
those are the same shift points i am having. i paid more attention to it yesterday and i shifted into 4th with moderate throttle at 40ish mph

You may want to have someone with much more experience drive it. The slipping feeling is not normal and isn't from the new gears. The near instant shift to second isn't normal either. I suspect a trans problem but this is a diagnosis from a thousand miles away. Good luck with it.

JKFlyer

You may want to have someone with much more experience drive it. The slipping feeling is not normal and isn't from the new gears. The near instant shift to second isn't normal either. I suspect a trans problem but this is a diagnosis from a thousand miles away. Good luck with it.

Thanks Silverton. I suspect its not gears and maybe not even trans slipping BC it wants to go and isn't revving high as if in neutral. It may be shifting to 2nd way too soon...almost immediately....And getting caught in between 1st and 2nd for a few seconds. Perhaps something either caused or that I can fix with my Superchip traildash........???

Top Bottom