OEM tire carrier and 35 BFG KM2???

onebuilder

Looking for info. Will a BFG 35x10.5-17 mounted on a '13 Rubicon OEM wheel fit on the stock tire carrier? Do I have to do any mods or just bolt it on and go? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, it will not just bolt on. You will need to install a spacer or adapter to make it work. You also need to make sure to install something like Daystar extended isolators and make sure that the sidewall presses firmly against them. This will help prevent your spare from jiggling - this is very important.

JKFlyer

from what I have heard, isn't a 35 tire a bit too big to mount on tailgate? not that it won't fit, but that it will warp the hinges over time. i thught 32/33 was the max

just my :twocents:

Hobolobo

from what I have heard, isn't a 35 tire a bit too big to mount on tailgate? not that it won't fit, but that it will warp the hinges over time. i thught 32/33 was the max

I seem to remember Eddie saying something a while back about someone from Jeep saying they are rated for up to 35" tires. Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: LOL!! Sounds like you've been talking to a TeraFlex rep or a fanboy of their tire carrier. Believe what you will but that is total bunk! I've run a 35" spare on my tailgate and without any problems. Moochie ran a 35 on his tailgate for years as well and without any problems. EVO is running a super heavy 37 mounted on an ATX Slab and just got done running the JKX with it and without any problems. Need proof, just watch some of our videos. Want to believe what people say, you can do that too. :yup:

Fact of the matter is, the factory tail gate hinges are plenty strong. Where you WILL see problems is on the tire carrier as it can break and on the tailgate spot welds as they can crack and separate IF you do not make sure that your spare is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators. It's the jiggling that will cause metallurgical failure. I have seen both occur but NEVER a hinge warp or fail. For those who would tell you as much, I would like to see proof.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to remember Eddie saying something a while back about someone from Jeep saying they are rated for up to 35" tires. Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong.

For all intents and purposes, yes. I personally know the senior designer of the Jeep Wrangler and back in 2007, he specifically told me that everything about the JK was originally intended for 35" tires. This is the reason why it's so easy to lift a JK and run 35's. Bureaucracy is the only thing that prevented it from being sold with them on.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: LOL!! Sounds like you've been talking to a TeraFlex rep or a fanboy of their tire carrier. Believe what you will but that is total bunk! I've run a 35" spare on my tailgate and without any problems. Moochie ran a 35 on his tailgate for years as well and without any problems. EVO is running a super heavy 37 mounted on an ATX Slab and just got done running the JKX with it and without any problems. Need proof, just watch some of our videos. Want to believe what people say, you can do that too. :yup:

Fact of the matter is, the factory tail gate hinges are plenty strong. Where you WILL see problems is on the tire carrier as it can break and on the tailgate spot welds as they can crack and separate IF you do not make sure that your spare is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators. It's the jiggling that will cause metallurgical failure. I have seen both occur but NEVER a hinge warp or fail. For those who would tell you as much, I would like to see proof.

Another thing to note is on the one JKX video, someone was running 35" or 37" spare on the tailgate and it drug going up a rock shelf. It tore up his tailgate pretty bad. That would be the only thing I would be worried about. I'm sure it would still drag if you had a rear bumper with a swing, just may not tear up as much if it did.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Looking for info. Will a BFG 35x10.5-17 mounted on a '13 Rubicon OEM wheel fit on the stock tire carrier? Do I have to do any mods or just bolt it on and go? Thanks!

Something to look into might be an aftermarket carrier from smittybilt or bestop, I bought one from a fellow Jeeper because his new 2013 JK came with a lift and carrier already installed. He swapped out his rear bumper for one with a tire swing. The only reason I bought it from him is because it was cheap and it raises the center brake light, cops in MO are pretty strict if the center brake light isn't very visible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to note is on the one JKX video, someone was running 35" or 37" spare on the tailgate and it drug going up a rock shelf. It tore up his tailgate pretty bad. That would be the only thing I would be worried about. I'm sure it would still drag if you had a rear bumper with a swing, just may not tear up as much if it did.

I think maybe you're thinking about our Moab video? I don't recall anyone on the JKX doing this but you are correct, this is the BIGGEST reason why I don't typically recommend carrying a big spare on your tailgate. While it'll hold it just fine with extended rubber isolators, it can catch on ledges and do serious damage to the tailgate and even the rear glass if you have a hard top. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions.

jorgelrod

Hooked
lots of good info on this thread, i'm close to pulling the trigger on Wheels and Tires and was worrying about having to pull money out of my sons's college fund for a tire carrier for the 35" spare at the same time. I kid but you guys know what I mean...

Jorge

JayKay

Caught the Bug
lots of good info on this thread, i'm close to pulling the trigger on Wheels and Tires and was worrying about having to pull money out of my sons's college fund for a tire carrier for the 35" spare at the same time. I kid but you guys know what I mean...

Jorge

Even if you were to buy a new aftermarket carrier, they're not too expensive. Like I said in my earlier post, the only reason I have one is because I got it cheap and I was concerned about the center brake light issue. Otherwise I would have went with the adapter and isolator.

TheDuff

I've ran a 33 toyo and now a 35 km2 on my stock carrier for nearly a year now. Works great so far. Sure, I worry about hitting the spare on something when I drop off a ledge, but hasn't happened yet. Stock brake light can be nodded to fit pretty easy or go the route I did and get plate relocation bracket that has a brake light on it 1388688052420.jpg rock hard bracket with oro light kit, was $100

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I think maybe you're thinking about our Moab video? I don't recall anyone on the JKX doing this but you are correct, this is the BIGGEST reason why I don't typically recommend carrying a big spare on your tailgate. While it'll hold it just fine with extended rubber isolators, it can catch on ledges and do serious damage to the tailgate and even the rear glass if you have a hard top. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions.

Probably the Moab video, I'm sure I've seen all of them numerous times and they seem to run together when you watch them on a weekly basis:)

jorgelrod

Hooked
Even if you were to buy a new aftermarket carrier, they're not too expensive. Like I said in my earlier post, the only reason I have one is because I got it cheap and I was concerned about the center brake light issue. Otherwise I would have went with the adapter and isolator.

Having stuff brought to the island jacks up the price due to the cost of shipping, stuff as big as a tire carrier and or bumper ends up racking $200-300 on shipping costs, Fedex ground discontinued service in 2009 and it's either fedex or UPS economy(not economic at all) for stuff I might want that local stores do not carry.

Jorge

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Having stuff brought to the island jacks up the price due to the cost of shipping, stuff as big as a tire carrier and or bumper ends up racking $200-300 on shipping costs, Fedex ground discontinued service in 2009 and it's either fedex or UPS economy(not economic at all) for stuff I might want that local stores do not carry.

Jorge

Understood, didn't look at your profile to see where you're located. In your case I'd go for the adapter and isolators if the center brake light isn't a concern.

dubdub07

It depends on the backspacing of the wheel. If you have stock backspacing, a 35 will need a spacer. I would think that 4.5 - 5.0 inch backspacing would not need a spacer but will still need the extended bumpers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've been running a 35" spare on my stock carrier for almost 20,000 miles (9 months) and so far so good. The day star isolators have 100% saved the tailgate from any damage.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been running a 35 on the stock carrier for 3 years - as mentioned, get a spacer for stock wheel and the Daystar isolators.

I have used my tow hitch receiver as a barrier (flipped) if I felt the spare would catch - it works but sounds like hell but IMO it's saved me from hitting the spare

I've seen guys using a curved hitch bar to do the same thing but haven't found anything like it...

Top Bottom