Holy bumpy ride!!

2trackin

Here in Michigan, it has been pretty dang cold, in the negatives. This makes the already terrible asphalt roads like washboards. I switched to Plush ride coils but I think my Fox 2.0 reservoirs are still to stiff. The Jeep feels terribly unstable on any bumpy roads and feels like I the suspension is taking little to none on the bumps. I'm being bounced all over the place. I just think that these shocks are to stiff for a light weight 2 door like mine. They may be great for a heart loaded 4 door.
I know they have rebuild kits to revalve them, and as good as I am mechanically. I am very hesitant to start tearing into the shocks. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
May I ask how long you have had the shocks for? I ask cause with my bilstein 5100's they seemed a little stiff for the first month or so but now they are awesome! Yes I run the stiffer teraflex coils but the shocks help a ton! So if they are new I would say wait a little longer. If they are older I would look into a new shock like the Rancho rs7000 or the Bilstein 5100's

Sent from my iPhone

2trackin

They are new. Maybe 1500 miles if that on them. It is really cold so that may have some effect. I do run Toyo 37s which are a load range E. I run them at 25psi. It's actually probably a couple psi less right now. -15* burr

Mikes Offroad

Welcome to my world, The suspension on my rig is frozen solid. We are dealing with -38c weather up here in Yellowknife and the shocks do not like it. They seem to warm up after about an hour of driving around. I don't think it matters what shocks you have or what springs when you talk cold weather.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
^^^^ true i totally forgot about the cold. yea i would say it doesnt matter then. the resivor is to help keep the shock cool when running hard whoops in the desert and stuff. so i guess it will take longer for it to heat up with those types of temps as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are new. Maybe 1500 miles if that on them. It is really cold so that may have some effect. I do run Toyo 37s which are a load range E. I run them at 25psi. It's actually probably a couple psi less right now. -15* burr

As you've pointed out, Toyo's are Range E and that alone will keep your sidewalls from giving you a softer ride. At the stupid cold temps you're dealing with now and that won't help a bit. You also have to remember that your shocks use oil to provide dampening and it will thicken with colder temperatures. This will provide greater resistance and a harder ride.

2trackin

Yeah, I guess it did seem to ride rougher at colder temps. Guess I will wait and see how she rides in the spring. Going to end up with coilovers eventually anyway. But I just want to ride decent till then. Maybe another year. She's still pretty new. I just passed 3,000 miles on the clock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I guess it did seem to ride rougher at colder temps. Guess I will wait and see how she rides in the spring. Going to end up with coilovers eventually anyway. But I just want to ride decent till then. Maybe another year. She's still pretty new. I just passed 3,000 miles on the clock.

All oil thickens with cold and thins with heat. This is why motor oil and gear oil are listed with 2 different weights. You guys are in a meat locker and have to think that can't be helping things.

2trackin

I'm well aware of oil and other fluid variances due to temperature. I work in the automotive steering gear industry where we do track testing year round.
I however am not overly versed on this type of shock. I was told that temperature on these shocks shouldn't have much effect on these due to the design and oil specifically for variables temperatures. Well maybe just not quite this cold. But hey, we seen 9* today! Woot Woot! Supposed to somehow be 40* and raining this weekend. Going to be a heck of an icey mess.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm well aware of oil and other fluid variances due to temperature. I work in the automotive steering gear industry where we do track testing year round.
I however am not overly versed on this type of shock. I was told that temperature on these shocks shouldn't have much effect on these due to the design and oil specifically for variables temperatures. Well maybe just not quite this cold. But hey, we seen 9* today! Woot Woot! Supposed to somehow be 40* and raining this weekend. Going to be a heck of an icey mess.

:cheesy: For the most part, I think you're right and a normal "cold" day wouldn't effect them much. I just know you guys are seeing crazy cold temps and it'd be hard for me to discount the effect it could have. I'm sure at least until you get going, the cold will effect your tires as well. Certainly, it can make them feel like you have flat spots. Just kicking around the ideas. :yup:

2trackin

Oh yeah. Tires can feel like they have flat spots on them or feel out of balance from the rubber being so cold.
I had the Awesomeness of my Slabs being compacted solid with snow. Balance beads only do so much to balance out a little snow or water. I had to dig them out so that I could go faster than 30mph. The leftover snow melted in the garage and froze again while driving. I have perfectly even ice rings just covering the lock ring bolt threads.

Top Bottom