Cobra 29 LX SWR issues

JK12

For some reason I can't get my Swr to a safe level. I've tried grounding the mount and the antenna but i still get way over 3, I have the teraflex cb mount. Any ideas? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you make sure to install the nylon washer with the step sitting inside the mounting hole?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It just fills the meter and gives me the warning on the screen. Im sure its well over 3

Okay, that helps. If you're not grounding out, it could be that you're just not getting a good enough ground off the tailgate. What kind of wire or strap are you using?

JK12

Okay, that helps. If you're not grounding out, it could be that you're just not getting a good enough ground off the tailgate. What kind of wire or strap are you using?

I cant remember the wire but I think its 12ga wire grounded to the tire carrier bolt. Is there a grounding strap you would recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I cant remember the wire but I think its 12ga wire grounded to the tire carrier bolt. Is there a grounding strap you would recommend?

Yeah, maybe try going to Pepboys or the like and get a ground strap. It'll look like a braided ribbon of steel wire. Sand off any paint at the point where you attach it too also.

JK12

Yeah, maybe try going to Pepboys or the like and get a ground strap. It'll look like a braided ribbon of steel wire. Sand off any paint at the point where you attach it too also.

Ok, is the tire carrier bolt a good place to ground or should I try somewhere else?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No I just have one from the mount to the tire carrier bolt

I don't have a ground but your ground isn't doing anything. If your tailgate wasn't enough of a ground a bolt on your tailgate isn't going to work either. You need to go to the tub or frame.

Moochie

I ran a ground wire from the tub to the tailgate. I followed the existing wires into the tailgate from a attachment point near the roll bar mount.

JK12

I ran a ground wire from the tub to the tailgate. I followed the existing wires into the tailgate from a attachment point near the roll bar mount.

So if I ground the tailgate do you think that will be enough to get my CB grounded through the tire carrier bolt? If I use grounding straps

Moochie

So if I ground the tailgate do you think that will be enough to get my CB grounded through the tire carrier bolt? If I use grounding straps

It can't hurt. I just ground my antennae thought the mount. I use a TerraFlex bracket bolted to my tailgate since I don't have a OEM spare mount. Grounding the tailgate is a good thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I see. As mentioned, you need to take the strap from the tailgate to the tub or frame as mentioned.

JK12

Ah ok, ill have to go to get one tonight and see if that will fix my problem. Thanks guys:thumb:

Top Bottom