About to install plush coils

Hooligan

So I'm about to install my new coils. The current setup is screwed..supposed to give me 4" but actually yields only 2.5 up front. Just double checking procedure:
Jack front end and remove wheels.
Place jack stands under frame at control arm mounts.
Disconnect front sway bar links.
Disconect shocks.
Allow axle to droop.
Remove crap procomp coils
Insert new evo plush coil
Reattach shocks ,wheels back & sway bar links.

Jack rear at pumkin
Place jack stands under frame
Remove wheels
Disconnect sway bar links
Disconnect shocks
Allow axle to droop
Remove crap procomop coils
Insert evo plush coil
Reattach shocks,links.wheels.

Anything else or am I good to go
:D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What size coils? If your shocks are long enough you may not have to remove them.

Also remove the front sway bar links before jacking it up and you don't need to remove the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm about to install my new coils. The current setup is screwed..supposed to give me 4" but actually yields only 2.5 up front. Just double checking procedure:
Jack front end and remove wheels.
Place jack stands under frame at control arm mounts.
Disconnect front sway bar links.
Disconect shocks.
Allow axle to droop.
Remove crap procomp coils
Insert new evo plush coil
Reattach shocks ,wheels back & sway bar links.

Jack rear at pumkin
Place jack stands under frame
Remove wheels
Disconnect sway bar links
Disconnect shocks
Allow axle to droop
Remove crap procomop coils
Insert evo plush coil
Reattach shocks,links.wheels.

Anything else or am I good to go
:D

I would also disconnect your ABS lines from their retainers on the knuckles up front, brake lines from the mounts on the frame rails, track bar from the axle and, if you have an automatic or a 2012-up, you may find it necessary to disconnect your front drive shaft from the axle as well. Doing this will give you a lot more droop and make your install that much easier. If you haven't already got them, I would also recommend that you install bump stop extensions of the ride height you are installing. Up front, I personally prefer the kind of extensions that bolt up to the axle as they are easier to install and will not get caught up in the coils when flexing.

kaptkrappy

Watch the brake lines. If you have drop brackets, I would unbolt them.

If you have aftermarket longer lines, you should be fine.

Hooligan

Thanks guys. I got ext brackets for the brake lines and bump stop ext already in from previous lift. Coils are 3" plush evo. I run bilstein shocks for a 4" lift which is what the procomp was supposed to be.
Thanks for the tips
:beer:

JK's JK

Banned
I would also disconnect your ABS lines from their retainers on the knuckles up front, brake lines from the mounts on the frame rails, track bar from the axle and, if you have an automatic or a 2012-up, you may find it necessary to disconnect your front drive shaft from the axle as well. Doing this will give you a lot more droop and make your install that much easier. If you haven't already got them, I would also recommend that you install bump stop extensions of the ride height you are installing. Up front, I personally prefer the kind of extensions that bolt up to the axle as they are easier to install and will not get caught up in the coils when flexing.

Oh that brings up a good question. On the write up you did for brake line extensions, where did you get that bleeder bottle?

My I also suggest a second set of hands. The second pair came in handy when trying to push the coil in while holding the axle down.

The brake line bracket bolts are I think 8 mm.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My I also suggest a second set of hands. The second pair came in handy when trying to push the coil in while holding the axle down.

Actually, so long as you have all the extra stuff I listed out disconnected, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the coils in. If needed, you can use a floor jack to raise the opposite end of the axle up a bit and that will cause the side you are working on to droop more. If even more help is needed, you can step on the axle and that should do the trick. Trust me, I have been able to get super tall 4" TeraFlex coils installed doing this and without any help. Of course, extra help is always nice to have if you can get it :crazyeyes:

Hooligan

Well it was just above freezing today. So i cleared the snow off of the driveway and went to work on swapping the coils.
Front was cake - didnt have to undo the shocks. Rear was a pain in ass. Had to remove ebrake cable,rear sway links,abs line,shocks....and then still had to pry the last one in. Only driven round the block but its a noticable diff in the ride.
Took me 5 hours due to fact it was bloody freezing and i busted my knuckles open on first coil. Thanks for all advice.:beer: :beer: :beer:
Will post pics later. Cheers.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well it was just above freezing today. So i cleared the snow off of the driveway and went to work on swapping the coils.
Front was cake - didnt have to undo the shocks. Rear was a pain in ass. Had to remove ebrake cable,rear sway links,abs line,shocks....and then still had to pry the last one in. Only driven round the block but its a noticable diff in the ride.
Took me 5 hours due to fact it was bloody freezing and i busted my knuckles open on first coil. Thanks for all advice.:beer: :beer: :beer:

nice! go warm up and defrost yourself and please post pics later!

Hooligan

meep97

Did you loosen the control arms and track bar bolts and re torque the bolts to spec with all the weight back on the wheels?

Top Bottom