Grinding when making sharp turns...?

ashleighpaiged

I just noticed these past couple of days that when I make a sharp turn there is this grinding noise. So far I've only noticed it when I turn left. Any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing the grinding noise and how I should fix if?
Thanks y'all and have a good day! đź‘Ť

Army_Vet

Banned
sounds like a possible wheel bearing. I would start up front and jack up the axle (chock&jackstands for safety) then start wiggle and jiggle everything till I found a problem. If nothing then repeat in the rear.

Elusive

I just noticed these past couple of days that when I make a sharp turn there is this grinding noise. So far I've only noticed it when I turn left. Any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing the grinding noise and how I should fix if?
Thanks y'all and have a good day! ď‘Ť

Check that the dust shields for your brake rotors arent bent or have a rock stuck in them. Also, are you sure your tires arent rubbing on anything?

Angry Aussie

I'm am having the same issue but for me it's when the wheels are turned left or right and not turned all the way either side and happens when I hit a bump or pulling into a drive way or something. I just had my gears done and a new front drive shaft. I'm worried I'm destroying something every time it happens. I have 2012 jkur on 37s with wheel spacers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks y'all and have a good day! ď‘Ť

Like a sharp metallic grinding or something more like dull hard rubbing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm am having the same issue but for me it's when the wheels are turned left or right and not turned all the way either side and happens when I hit a bump or pulling into a drive way or something. I just had my gears done and a new front drive shaft. I'm worried I'm destroying something every time it happens. I have 2012 jkur on 37s with wheel spacers.

Did you make sure to trim your pinch seams after installing your 37's? If so, are you sure you trimmed enough as well as the fender liners? The dipping your Jeep will see when turning can be enough to allow your rear tires to still make contact in this areas.

Angry Aussie

Did you make sure to trim your pinch seams after installing your 37's? If so, are you sure you trimmed enough as well as the fender liners? The dipping your Jeep will see when turning can be enough to allow your rear tires to still make contact in this areas.

I did trim the fender liners but haven't done the pinch seams yet. I didn't realize that the rears could make contact with the dipping. I'll trim them tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Thanks Eddie!

apjeep

I'm having this same sensation on my lifted tj when turning, it feels like something in my steering though like power steering pump?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having this same sensation on my lifted tj when turning, it feels like something in my steering though like power steering pump?

Can you reproduce the sensation while standing still? If not, I'd doubt it's your steering pump.

ashleighpaiged

That being the case, I would check your frame rails, lower control arms, pinch seams and fender liners for any possible rubbing from your tires. Have you made any recent changes or modifications to your Jeep?

No recent modifications but I will definitely check on that. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No recent modifications but I will definitely check on that. Thanks!

Well, I see that you have a 3" lift. Could be that your coils have settled in and now you're tires are making contact somewhere. Hard to say for sure but, it's easy enough to check and a fix for it simple.

dcaprio

I have a similar issue with a grinding/rubbing noise when turning. It seems to be getting worse every day and I can't seem to find anything rubbing. The noise really started after I had the dealer replace the right rear axle seal, bearing etc. I took it back to them and they can't figure out where it it coming from. It appears to be in the rear and when it gets hot you can feel it somewhat in the steering or drivetrain. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Top Bottom