Possible pinion seal leak

TheDuff

Noticed what looks like moisture on the back side of my front axle pumpkin. Was running late for work and couldn't crawl under to verify its gear oil for sure, but I assume it's gonna be a pinion seal. 09 rubi with 63k, got regear done bout 6 months back, put about 5k on them in that time. There may be a warranty on the work and there may not be, taking it to the shop is an option of course. But worst case if it's not covered, is this a job that can be handled by your regular diy guy? I ask because, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of doing the gears myself, but thought maybe this is different. If there is a write up I missed on this kind of thing, point the way! Any tricks I can try greatly appreciated! :):beer: I could always take a picture after work If it would help.
Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Elvis

Yep it most likely is just replaced mine, fairly easy and quick. Just keep lubing it up until you get a new seal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on what's leaking, the inner or outer seal. The outer is easier but, you'll want a good seal driver to get the new one reinstalled evenly and without issue. The inner will require you to pull the carrier and pinion. Being that you're in CA, you should be fine running like this for a while. Just avoid deep water crossings - LOL!! :crazyeyes:

TheDuff

Haha, no water to worry bout here and guess it was for the best that I missed the kick off run:eek: any way to tell for sure if it's inner or outer? If inner, is pulling the carrier and pinion something that will effect the gearsetup and keep this from being a diy kinda job? I understand and feel perfectly capable of doing the work required to pull the carrier, just not familiar with anything passed that and don't want to find myself in over my head

TheDuff

Someone mentioned to me that there is a o-ring on the yolk that could be bad, possibility?
Since I'm not acctually leaving a puddle I'm ok with the idea of leaving it be for now as well, but I do plan on making the Moab EJS for the entire week this year, so I have some concerns for that and of course trying to prep for the trip is leaving my pockets really empty lol. Could the use of some rtv on the outter seal, specifically where it drives into the pumpkin be a decent temp fix if that is where the gear oil is seeping from?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, pulling the carrier and pinion can effect your setup. I seriously doubt that it's the o-ring pinion yoke. Being that you're not leaving a puddle, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TheDuff

Ok, thanks Eddie, Hope to join the group on some Moab trails again:D

Brewman

I wouldn't worry much about it too much either. Just keep a good eye one it. The unfortunate thing about JK axles is they use crush sleeves to set pinion preload. You have to pull the pinion out and change the crush sleeve when you change that seal. Kind of a pain in the butt for what is normally an easy fix.

If it is a leak and the shop will warranty then have them fix it before the warranty runs out.

Top Bottom