Spare worries

rhino

Trying to figure out the best way to carry my 35" spare. It's (well, will be) a 315/75/16 BFG AT on a Mamba MR1X (4.75" backspacing). Right now I'm thinking I can actually fit it on the stock carrier but I'm concerned about weight. Was considering the tflex hinge but then saw all the horror stories of that carrier breaking. I really don't like the idea of having to open carrier then tailgate to get in the back. I'm on the east coast and in reality probably doing mild-moderate trails 4-5 times a year. 2007 JKU.

Obviously, like everyone else, I'd like to keep cost relatively low.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
you can run a 35 on the facotry carrier just fine. all you have to do is go and get daystar bump externsions for your tailgate and make sure your tire is seated nice and snug up against it. they are like $15 so they are really cheap

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, all you need to do is make sure that your spare is pressing firmly against your isolators. If you use a wheel spacer or adapter to mount your spare, I would recommend that you get a set of Daystar extended isolators to help make up the difference. So long as you can mitigate the jiggling of the spare, you should be good to go.

Dune Crawler

Running the same tire in a 35 on the factory rims and use the smittybilt tire carrier which imo is just a upgraded factory tire carrier. Works great and is super easy to install, only thing I had problems with was the 3rd brake light bracket would come loose or jiggle a lil if the bolts connecting it to the carrier got loosened.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Running the same tire in a 35 on the factory rims and use the smittybilt tire carrier which imo is just a upgraded factory tire carrier. Works great and is super easy to install, only thing I had problems with was the 3rd brake light bracket would come loose or jiggle a lil if the bolts connecting it to the carrier got loosened.

i've actually had one before on my first jeep. i had no problems. the two bars snug up and if set right it snugs up good on the factory isolators.

Top Bottom