Suspension Guru's: Matching shocks with stiffer springs?

In5ane1

A while back I installed a 2.5" coil spring lift, but I used shock extensions at the time since they were still new. The ride is a good bit stiffer, and I had a guy who installs lift kits all the time tell me that I really need beefier shocks to better match up with the stiffer coil springs. He said this would improve the ride.

So, theoretically....are the stock sport shocks that came on my jku too weak to take a lot of the stiffness out of the after market springs? I know that jeep matches up springs and shocks from factory for a reason. Seems like it makes sense that a beefier shocks would dampen the road noise a little better, thus not translating all those bumps and such to the stiffer springs...

IDK, just some thoughts and looking for someone who knows the anwer. Thanks!

suicideking

What brand are the springs?

It's not necessarily 'beefier' shocks you need, just shocks that are long enough for the springs. Stock shocks with extensions is not going to give you a good ride. Which shocks you should get mostly depends on your budget. The Bilstein 5100 and Rancho 7000 run around $80 each or so.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Not sure why he would say you need stiffer shocks to go with your stiffer springs to have a better ride.
Someone posted a picture of a broken shock a few weeks ago, Eddie knew he had shock extensions right away without him saying he did. That right there I knew not to ever run them.

In5ane1

Thanks for the link...interesting....

Still doesnt explain if shock extenders create rougher ride :confused:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Raceplayhavefun

Shock extenders won't make the ride better or worse. They are just there to try to make the shock fit with the lift. Stiffer springs vs softer springs can get into a long discussion over theories of kinetic energy, stored energy, reaction, etc. let's not go there! One answer to your question is that "stiffer" shocks are needed as you go to heavier tires. If you've lifted your jeep then you probably put heavier tires and/or wheels on. The stock shock is woefully inadequate at controlling a stock tire and wheel. Adding extra weight is now going to make it even more difficult. However, this is going to be felt as the vehicle bouncing, or the tire trying to skip across the pavement at times. When you lift the vehicle with stock length control arms, you are going to feel a slight increase in the harshness of all bumps due to the control arm angle in the front. Stiffer springs are going to make this worse. What brand springs did you install? Some brands are much higher rate than others.

In5ane1

Shock extenders won't make the ride better or worse. They are just there to try to make the shock fit with the lift. Stiffer springs vs softer springs can get into a long discussion over theories of kinetic energy, stored energy, reaction, etc. let's not go there! One answer to your question is that "stiffer" shocks are needed as you go to heavier tires. If you've lifted your jeep then you probably put heavier tires and/or wheels on. The stock shock is woefully inadequate at controlling a stock tire and wheel. Adding extra weight is now going to make it even more difficult. However, this is going to be felt as the vehicle bouncing, or the tire trying to skip across the pavement at times. When you lift the vehicle with stock length control arms, you are going to feel a slight increase in the harshness of all bumps due to the control arm angle in the front. Stiffer springs are going to make this worse. What brand springs did you install? Some brands are much higher rate than others.

I have the rough country springs 2.5" and yes I also put 33" dynapro mt's D load. My feeling is the stock springs are inadequate. And yes I know the springs arent the most expensive...but they arent bad. Maybe control arms would help too...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the rough country springs 2.5" and yes I also put 33" dynapro mt's D load. My feeling is the stock springs are inadequate. And yes I know the springs arent the most expensive...but they arent bad. Maybe control arms would help too...

How much air are you running in your Range D tires? If you aren't already running them at about 30 psi, I would recommend you do so and give that a try. A majority of ride comfort comes from your coils, not your shocks. In other words, adding "beefier" shocks will most likely make your ride worse.

In5ane1

How much air are you running in your Range D tires? If you aren't already running them at about 30 psi, I would recommend you do so and give that a try. A majority of ride comfort comes from your coils, not your shocks. In other words, adding "beefier" shocks will most likely make your ride worse.

Much better at 30 psi!

Is there something to what Raceplayhavefun said about the stock shocks not handling heavier tires well? Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom