Shift boot and transmission issues

jonyuri253

So I have an 08 rubicon and every so often it'll pop out of first gear when I take off... I talked to some guys and try said it's probably the synchronizing rings so I took it in to the dealer ship and they told me that it was the shift boot causing the issues and they want to charge my $260 to replace it... Is this a common issue or are they just trying to get money?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Gotta love dealerships. There is a TSB for the popping out of gear problem and a new shift boot will not fix it. If you are still under warranty, it should be covered and if not, the fix is about $1800. Trust me, I've been down this road before.

Tranquillity

Honestly charging that for a shift boot is ridiculous. If I were you I'd check it out myself and trim it if needed. It won't cost you a dime and it's pretty easy.

jonyuri253

That's what I thought... It's not the shift boot that's costing so much it's the labor for them to install it -.- I need a new one any ways but ill just pick the parts up myself and install it myself... Thanks for the advice guys!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought... It's not the shift boot that's costing so much it's the labor for them to install it -.- I need a new one any ways but ill just pick the parts up myself and install it myself... Thanks for the advice guys!

They're gonna charge you that much to replace a boot that takes 10 min to replace?? :shock:

pvanweelden

if you are out of warranty- the easiest fix is to teach yourself a new habit, and keep your hand on the shifter whenever it is in first gear, so it will not be able to pop out of gear when you first let the clutch up. it sucks, but you get used to it after a while.
it is the synchros and not the boot.

jonyuri253

What are the terms if the warranty I bout my jeep 2 years ago used and it has 47000 miles on it now and I have really been able to get a clear answer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are the terms if the warranty I bout my jeep 2 years ago used and it has 47000 miles on it now and I have really been able to get a clear answer

Well, if you bought it used, I don't think you'd be under warranty - that is, not unless you bought a warranty with it and then, you would have to refer to it.

T&ERun

LOSER
LOL!! Gotta love dealerships. There is a TSB for the popping out of gear problem and a new shift boot will not fix it. If you are still under warranty, it should be covered and if not, the fix is about $1800. Trust me, I've been down this road before.

What is the fix?

pvanweelden

Replacing the synchros is the fix. Transmission has to be dropped in order to install them

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

Boot and ring (1 part) was only about $29. Takes about 5 minutes to change counting drinking a beer and throwing the old one out. While it is possible it is the boot, mine wasn't. If you are the original owner you have a lifetime warranty and they should do the TSB for no charge.

jonyuri253

Boot and ring (1 part) was only about $29. Takes about 5 minutes to change counting drinking a beer and throwing the old one out. While it is possible it is the boot, mine wasn't. If you are the original owner you have a lifetime warranty and they should do the TSB for no charge.

Unfortunately I'm the second owner :/

pvanweelden

Might as well try holding the shifter in first gear while you save for getting synchros replaced, it won't cost you anything and it does work :thumbup:

Zstairlessone

Might as well try holding the shifter in first gear while you save for getting synchros replaced, it won't cost you anything and it does work :thumbup:

When mine was popping out of first it came out so violently I almost broke my wrist resting it on the shift knob to stop it. It always popped or banged out fast and loud, might want to keep that in mind if the plan is to hold it in gear until it gets fixed. You may be able to find a wrecked Jeep/Chrysler with a trans super cheap, I don't think too many newer transmissions had the issue - I haven't really heard of it anyway.

pvanweelden

hmmm, mine must not be as bad as yours, there's nothing violent about it, it just pops out if you aren't holding it in first gear (and only pops out once out of 20 times)

Zstairlessone

hmmm, mine must not be as bad as yours, there's nothing violent about it, it just pops out if you aren't holding it in first gear (and only pops out once out of 20 times)

Mine would go into gear easily too. If it is the shift boot you can pull the boot up a little in neutral and it should go into first really slick and easy while it feels gummy or off without pulling the boot up the shifter shaft.

Top Bottom