Drive saft carnge

Prime

While driving to help another jeeper my rear drive shaft u joint decided to explode and this was the result.. Now I think I'm going to buy new ones front and rear. Both on the jeep are aftermarket but I have no way to tell the brand. I was looking at Adams or Tom woods would like some advice on which would be a great replacement.

Attachments

• image-1008344766.jpg
    image-1008344766.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 230
  • image-2079434451.jpg
    image-2079434451.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 227
  • image-3687898477.jpg
    image-3687898477.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 226

Atch

While driving to help another jeeper my rear drive shaft u joint decided to explode and this was the result.. Now I think I'm going to buy new ones front and rear. Both on the jeep are aftermarket but I have no way to tell the brand. I was looking at Adams or Tom woods would like some advice on which would be a great replacement.

With woods you'll most likely have the same issue. They come standard with cheap ujoints. Another couple I'd recommend looking at are Coast & JE Reel.

jeeeep

Hooked
curious to know what u-joint is on it - can you see the casting number?

Also, if you buy Tom Woods be sure to ask for Spicer full circle clip u-joints..or Neapco

Sharkey

Word Ninja
u-joints look like tom woods gold seals

Agreed. At least the one still together sure looks like a gold seal. Like others have said, there isn't anything wrong with Wood's shafts themselves, but I'd stay the hell away from those gold seal joints. On that point, why pay Wood extra to get spicer joints when you can buy quality shafts from Reel or others that already come with good joints?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
A front shaft is my next big purchase. Going to get a J.E. Reel 1350 because I'm eventually going to 37s. Northridge4x4 has the best pricing I've found, hands down, especially when using a coupon code. Definitely recommend checking them out for your new shafts.

Maybe just pick up a set of spicer joints if you can find a number off the old ones and if your yokes aren't too tore up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it sure looks like a Tom Woods shaft to me. The "gold seal" joints are a dead giveaway and so is the break.

Prime

I couldn't find the slip yoke end I looked for two hours along the road and nothing. I guess I'll shop for new drive shafts front and rear.

Prime

1310 or 1350

Not sure if it matters but what are the differences besides the 1350 being larger than the 1310?
Well besides the price also. I do plan on running 37's at some point witch it said to run 1350's.

StrizzyChris

Not sure if it matters but what are the differences besides the 1350 being larger than the 1310?
Well besides the price also. I do plan on running 37's at some point witch it said to run 1350's.

1350's are stronger. I'd never put anything less than that as a replacement for the rear shaft. Many will say the same for the front shaft, but I'm going with a1310 up there.

Top Bottom