Lining the inside of the tub

alright, ive searched for the rhino lining and maybe ive searched the wrong words. but I am curious on a write up for lining the inside of the jeeps. I just had a bunch of water leak in from the soft top :yup: no idea how. but after getting all the carpet out to let in dry in the sun i was liking the idea more and more to just line it. now the other posts just went to heat and all insulation. no need for AC up here its NORCAL, and theres a heater if it might dip into the 20's. the weld that are under the floor mats up front and in the rear, what are they? are they really needed? best ways to go about getting rid of them. have a compressor so im sure ill invest in something numatic to help me go about it and would like to save the money and do it myself. maybe even with the rubber coating i saw in an earlier post.

any helps thanks :D

Christarp

well, I used raptor liner, and it turned out great for me.

I'll attach some pictures of the process and how it turned out at the end of it.

Basically all you need to do is pull the carpets, seats, center console plastics, and then unplug any wires and hang them up over the roll bars, and start prepping, prep is the most important part definitely. I probably sank 20 hours or so into prep alone, so it takes some time but I like the end result! Things you'll probably need to do are sand down every bit of the tub, you don't want any liner to flake off. That's the biggest step. That stuff that's under the carpet that looks all weird is sound deadening, I think it looks terrible and I decided to get rid of it personally. You can choose to leave it in or not.

The sound deadening stuff is a sort of rubber porous coating thing. I couldn't find a good way to get rid of this so I used a hammer and chisel. I heard air chisels work great but you have to be careful about punching through the tub, because it's pretty thin. I found the best way to get rid of it was to drench it in acetone, and that really softened it up and allowed me to scrape it off relatively easily. At least a lot easier than it was with just a hammer and chisel.

After that I sanded parts of it again, parts that I thought I had maybe missed, and used a grinder with a wire brush to get the very last tiny bits of any of that sound deadening stuff off, it was pretty much bare metal by the time I had grinded all of it off.

After that I wiped down the sanded areas (so basically the whole tub) with mineral spirits and a rag, then used some self etching primer on the spots of bare metal. At that point I masked anything off that I didn't want to get the liner on and started spraying!

Here's a picture of that gunk that I wanted to take off, you can also see that I still have everything wired in and that I didn't quite get my wires long enough :doh:
T9N5KnR.jpg

Scraping up that sound deadening, which was a real pain
nKGd7F3.jpg

Here's where I started using the wire brush on the grinder to really clean up what was left of the sound deadening, as you can see, dust gets everywhere and you'll get little wires fly off from the wire wheel, so wear eye protection and jeans or something, they hurt when you get them in your knees and bend down and mash them even further in!
FP1pltd.jpg

here we are getting wires up and out of the way
iJxT60d.jpg

and here's what it looked like after sanding everything down
jACLa7x.jpg

again with everything sanded down
XHPzXxo.jpg

Here's everything, or at least as much as I thought i'd need masked off
dpLTsmT.jpg

and here you can see the bare areas that I primed, and I masked off the grounding stud and filled the holes for bolts with ear plugs. Make sure you get all of them! I missed one ground stud when I did it!
vqEQmQO.jpg

and finally, here's the finished product!
wwYjmLq.jpg

o5F9ZM5.jpg

as you can see in the upper left corner of this one I went really heavy on it, wasn't sure what to expect and that was where I started spraying, so I suggest starting in a spot that's not very visible! After about 3 seconds you get the hang of it.
wQhSAPq.jpg

SobHMko.jpg

I used one of the guns that was recommended on the amazon page for raptor liner (it was like $10 or something), and attached a pressure regulator to it and set it at 65psi or so. Since my compressor is small-ish it couldn't quite keep up, so when it dipped down to 55psi or so I would let it fill back up.

also worth noting: After doing this my jeep smelled like paint for a good month or so, Luckily I did it in the summer and ran with the top and doors off for about 2 months, but it does smell, and with a top and doors on I would imagine it would smell pretty strong.

Good luck! :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
alright, ive searched for the rhino lining and maybe ive searched the wrong words. but I am curious on a write up for lining the inside of the jeeps. I just had a bunch of water leak in from the soft top :yup: no idea how. but after getting all the carpet out to let in dry in the sun i was liking the idea more and more to just line it. now the other posts just went to heat and all insulation. no need for AC up here its NORCAL, and theres a heater if it might dip into the 20's. the weld that are under the floor mats up front and in the rear, what are they? are they really needed? best ways to go about getting rid of them. have a compressor so im sure ill invest in something numatic to help me go about it and would like to save the money and do it myself. maybe even with the rubber coating i saw in an earlier post.

any helps thanks :D

LOL!! My mom lives in NorCal and at least for me, it's way hotter up there in the summer than it is in SoCal but hey, to each their own. I should note that the carpeting also does a great job of reducing noise. Having said that, if you're really still determined to do this, here is a write-up I did a long time ago. Granted, it was on my old CJ but, it's pretty much the same thing.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

jeeeep

Hooked
X2 on the smell - I helped my friend do his lining and because it was so humid he left his rig in his garage -it stunk up his house for weeks. make sure you do this on hot dry day where you can leave it out to cure, it was about 4 days before he could reinstall everything to drive it. his total down time was about 2 full weeks. and do the prep! any places not properly prepped will allow the lining not to stick and if you get air pockets or holes, it will allow the water to seep in and work it's way under the lining.

After helping him, I figured with the time invested in prepping, down time and the cost of the Rhino lining, the BedRug is pretty cheap, helps with noise, dries fast and no mold, I like it.

FrankenJeeper

I used DupliColor BedArmor and it turned out fairly well. Like stated above, take your time and do your prep work correctly.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom