Remote reservoir shocks

robx251

Caught the Bug
Are they worth it? I love the look but is it worth the extra coin performance wise on a non coil over lift? My bushings are gone on my rough country shocks after less than a year. While that is no surprise to me I'm thinking about upgrading them since they have to be out if I were to try to get them to go good under warranty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I guess it depends on which ones you buy. I'm no shock expert but I went with the King shocks so they could handle everything I throw at them and if they ever go bad/get worn out I can rebuild them for less than buying new shocks. I doubt I will ever wear them out but who knows. I chose King because they are the King of the shock world and I expect them to be very high quality. So far they have been excellent.

It's really a relative question. I can run my Jeep over super rough roads at high speed and its like riding on a cloud and the faster you go the better. I also enjoy the adjust-ability feature I have with the compression adjusters.

There are really a lot of factors that go into the decision but I would think even a good mono-tube shock that is rebuild-able would be better than it's lower cost equivalent. That's just my opinion.

In most cases a mono-tube will probably suffice but if you have the coin, res shocks can probably take more abuse. :twocents:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Are they worth it? I love the look but is it worth the extra coin performance wise on a non coil over lift? My bushings are gone on my rough country shocks after less than a year. While that is no surprise to me I'm thinking about upgrading them since they have to be out if I were to try to get them to go good under warranty.

Are you referring to a remote reservoir shock or a coliover? You mention both in your post. A remote reservoir shock will help to prevent shock fade by allowing the fluid to displace and cool. This is a great feature if you are going to be running it hard and fast in whoops, washboard roads or across the desert. Coilover...the remote res isn't even in the same league. The coilover is a way better option if you can afford it. You can adjust ride height, and tune the coilover via valving and spring rate to get the 'perfect' ride for you.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you referring to a remote reservoir shock or a coliover? You mention both in your post. A remote reservoir shock will help to prevent shock fade by allowing the fluid to displace and cool. This is a great feature if you are going to be running it hard and fast in whoops, washboard roads or across the desert. Coilover...the remote res isn't even in the same league. The coilover is a way better option if you can afford it. You can adjust ride height, and tune the coilover via valving and spring rate to get the 'perfect' ride for you.

He said is it worth it on a non coilover lift. Meaning shock/spring. I think he might have been thinking you need the remote res shocks with coilovers which you don't.

robx251

Caught the Bug
He said is it worth it on a non coilover lift. Meaning shock/spring. I think he might have been thinking you need the remote res shocks with coilovers which you don't.

No I knew that the remote system was not mandatory for the coil over system, but if I was gonna shell out that much I would go for broke.

I'm pleased with my ride, I'm sure there are better out there but it is hood enough for me at the moment. Does what I need it to.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No I knew that the remote system was not mandatory for the coil over system, but if I was gonna shell out that much I would go for broke.

I'm pleased with my ride, I'm sure there are better out there but it is hood enough for me at the moment. Does what I need it to.

Huh? A coilover has a reservoir already like the king 2.5's. See below,

Coilover

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392390725.683695.jpg

King 2.5

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392390739.932607.jpg

This is the triple bypass shock that comes with the double throwdown

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392390869.143722.jpg

The triple bypass is not necessary with a regular coilover system but a reservoir is necessary with a coilover.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

They can be worth it if you like to drive fast across the desert or in washes. They can help to provide more travel, more volume, help keep the oil cooler and prevent cavitation which ultimately causes shock fade. If all you're doing is rock crawling, no, I would say that they are not worth the extra coin.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Huh? A coilover has a reservoir already like the king 2.5's. See below,

Coilover

View attachment 69114

King 2.5

View attachment 69115

This is the triple bypass shock that comes with the double throwdown

View attachment 69116

The triple bypass is not necessary with a regular coilover system but a reservoir is necessary with a coilover.

I could have sworn I have seen a coil over kit some where for the jk with some fox shox that didn't have a remote on the shocks. I may have overlooked them though.

Top Bottom