CB antenna

Fragsrus

So, I have never owned a CB radio before. I'm looking to pick up a Cobra 19 DX IV with a Firestick 2 Antenna. I see that each antenna is rated for a different wattage, for example the 5' one is rated for 1k watts. My question is where does this wattage fit into the picture if the CB radio itself is only putting out 4 watts? If I understand correctly, the bigger the antenna the better the signal is and the farther is reaches, so I am looking at putting either a 4' or 5'. I just want to know a bit more about it before I decide.

Fragsrus

I guess another question would be what is a good length for the coax cable to have the radio mounted above the rear view mirror and have the antenna mounted on either the spare tire carrier or the tail light cover? It's a JKUR.

Angry Aussie

I guess another question would be what is a good length for the coax cable to have the radio mounted above the rear view mirror and have the antenna mounted on either the spare tire carrier or the tail light cover? It's a JKUR.

I'd get a 20 or 25 foot cable. Give yourself more cable then you think you need. Better to have more then not enough.

Rccrwlr

I used a 25' with my antenna mounted on the spare tire mount. Ran the cable up inside the roll bar padding. Ended up with about 18" extra. Don't coil the extra just tuck it in somewhere.

Beyrgut

I have the typical 18' cable run from rearview mirror, along the passenger roll bars, and exit the gate with a bit left over. I am still trying to figure where to mount the antenna since put the angled tire carrier bracket on but I have enough slack to mount it anywhere.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

The shorter the cable the better and without adding connections. I use an 18' for my Unlimited and it was perfect with a little extra left over.

Fragsrus

OK, thanks for the input everyone. Now I just need to decide where to mount the antenna. Both the tire carrier mount and tail light mount seem appealing but they both seem to have drawbacks as well.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

OK, thanks for the input everyone. Now I just need to decide where to mount the antenna. Both the tire carrier mount and tail light mount seem appealing but they both seem to have drawbacks as well.

I believe I have the rugged ridge tire carrier antenna mount. It holds the antenna just fine...not sure where there would be room for a drawback? It just sits there bolted up and holds the antenna.

Fragsrus

I could see the antenna being easily damage in the event of hitting something overhead, like in a parking garage, or a drive-thru, with no room for the antenna to bend out of the way.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Quick disconnects and/or a spring mounted at base of antenna

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fragsrus

Quick disconnects and/or a spring mounted at base of antenna

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can't imagine a spring will do much good for an antenna siting right behind the spare tire. However, a quick disconnect might be a consideration, as long as it doesn't affect the signal strength to much.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I can't imagine a spring will do much good for an antenna siting right behind the spare tire. However, a quick disconnect might be a consideration, as long as it doesn't affect the signal strength to much.

I have the spring and it does work. It will be better then hitting a parking garage without it. Ask me how I know.

JAGS

Hooked
I have the spring and it does work. It will be better then hitting a parking garage without it. Ask me how I know.

How do you know? Actually, I did it myself when I made a trip to downtown. Scared the crap out of me as I hit the sign that says height clearance pretty good.

I have a spring with that mount behind the tire. Does provide just a little wiggle and you can bend it to the side if needed.

Looking to also get a quick disconnect. Maybe we can get some feed back if anyone is running the cooltech disconnect?

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_quick_disconnect.shtml

Your antenna length needs to be long enough to clear the top of your jeep by about 8-12 inches. This will give you the optimal distance forward to communicate. CB radios are good for line of site communication. Second a rule of thumb taught to me was CB coax should be in multiples of 6. It is what my pops taught me and I follow it today.

I have a 3ft fire stick I purchased in 2000 for a road trip that was just tuned and works great. If you have the opportunity go to a cb shop and talk to the techs. They will give you more knowledge than you ever wanted to know.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Voodoo Actual

This is what I did; might help:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393007537.160378.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393007559.943890.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393007590.011236.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393008138.160768.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393008165.259035.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393008183.991454.jpg

4ft FireStik II on a FS spring with a Teraflex mount. 18 ft of coax is run under the carpet.

Spring is useful for clearing bulkheads on ferries, parking structures etc.:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393009062.425070.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393009077.277834.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393009089.605651.jpg

Fragsrus

OK, given all the info from this thread and some internet research, I decided to go with a 4' FireStik II, a FS quick disconnect, 18' of coax cable with the fire-ring, and the Cobra 19. I also picked up the Strike Force Zebra mount for above the rear view mirror and the Rugged Ridge antenna mount on the spare tire carrier. Thank you everyone for your input!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
How is everyone's reception with their antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier? My dad was nice enough to use his Pilot fuel points to get me a Cobra 19. He gave me one of his old Francis fiberglass antennas (basically a 3' Firestik) and an 18' coax. The spare tire mount is definitely where I want my antenna. It's the only location that looks good to me. I'll only be using the radio on the trail and close range on the highway.

How is everyone's reception with their antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier? My dad was nice enough to use his Pilot fuel points to get me a Cobra 19. He gave me one of his old Francis fiberglass antennas (basically a 3' Firestik) and an 18' coax. The spare tire mount is definitely where I want my antenna. It's the only location that looks good to me. I'll only be using the radio on the trail and close range on the highway.

I have a 3ft firestick mounted on my LoD Gen III tire carrier and it gives me enough clearance to receive in all direction. You want about 12 inches above your roll cage for the best all around reception.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Top Bottom