Any decent bolt-on "temporary" tire carriers out there???

So I've got a little situation...I'm currently running the standard no tire swing ARB rear bumper, and I'm waiting for the next gen bumper with the tire swing. (I've been working with ARB locally for years and I'm pretty excited about the new one being tested now) But here's my issue...

I'm running a 35 on the factory tire holder for my on-road commuting, but I have a 3600 mile trip from Seattle to Phoenix via Moab, and back to Seattle via Death Valley and the Rubicon in about 5 weeks.

I'd really like to have a tire carrier that I can trust for the trip, but I don't want to spend a ton of money when I'm just going to take it off when my bumper is ready this summer.

Is there an option that is effective and safe for a 35 without getting another bumper or spending thousands? I've seen a lot of bolt on options, but real life opinions, reviews and pics would be greatly appreciated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
you cane safely run a 35 on the stock carrier. just make sure you have proper bump stop length so it sits firmly up against them. Get the daystar bumpstops for $15

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
saw mel from ore posting pictures of evolander with 37 on slabs on a stock carrier for 18k miles. :eek: daystar idolaters at most. or 130 bucks for the smitty bilt one. cheapest one i know of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What they said, just bolt it up to your tire carrier. Use a relocation bracket or wheel spacer if needed and make sure that the side wall of the spare presses firmly against the isolators even if that means you have to install a set of extended ones like what Daystar makes. This will mitigate jiggling and that's ultimately what will cause a break. I have run this setup and as mentioned, EVO has even done it with a bigger and heavier tire.

Sound good...I've got a spacer and the daystar bump stops in place...thanks for the advice! I'll run it as-is until my bumper is ready.:beer:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been running a 35 on the stock carrier for last 3 years at least 75000 of the 90k miles various long trips including
been to Moab several times and other trails no issues. I do have daystar spacers and I assess any obstacles on the chance I'll snag the spare and go around it if i can. if no alternate path I have a drop hitch i put on upside down and it's kept me from snagging the spare.
imo I think the stock carrier is pretty strong as long as the tire is not jiggling on it

jdulmer

I ordered speakers for the dash, and latches and cables for my Tailgate... I'll do the install this weekend. :sly:

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

-Samsung GSIII (CM10.2.1)

-LG Lucid (CM10)

-LG Revolution (BrokenOutRevo 2.0.1)

-Samsung Fascinate (CM7)

MTG

Caught the Bug
As above, run the stocker.

If it makes you feel better I did Moab with my 35 on the stock carrier. There was only one drop off I bipassed because I watched the guy in front of me (Rubicat) catch his spare on the ledge. Other than that I had no issues. :thumb:

Top Bottom