4.88s and D30?

matt1171

I'm regearing in a couple weeks from my 3.73s to 4.88s. I would love to hear people's experience with 4.88s and 35s on the D30 and 3.8L engine? Any issues? Carnage stories?

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a solid setup with 35's and a 3.8L. It'll help restore your power back to stock and still have a pinion that is strong. 5.13's would give you more power but, will leave you with a tiny pinion.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's a solid setup with 35's and a 3.8L. It'll help restore your power back to stock and still have a pinion that is strong. 5.13's would give you more power but, will leave you with a tiny pinion.

^^^^ this. It's a solid set up indeed. 5.13's will give you more than enough power but you do run the risk of a break. That being said i run 5.13's in my d30 but I'm doing it with the future in mind. That future being PR44 and 37's. I hope I just don't break my ring gear before than

Sent from my iPhone

JKFlyer

^^^^ this. It's a solid set up indeed. 5.13's will give you more than enough power but you do run the risk of a break. That being said i run 5.13's in my d30 but I'm doing it with the future in mind. That future being PR44 and 37's. I hope I just don't break my ring gear before than

Sent from my iPhone

Me and Cozdude are a complete ditto. If u r not going 37, go 4.88. If u r, go 5.13. This is assuming automatic

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Webe

I have the D30 with 35s & 4.88 Broke em every time out. On my 3rd set. Along with twisting the front drive line & bending my chrome moly shafts. Play hard or go home. Yea I went home via tow truck. But yes on the 4.88 with 35s is a good combo.:rock:

kornchip

This may be the route that I take in the future. What are the best options to beef everything up to keep the carnage down? I definitly would like to avoid towing haha:thumb:

Webe

Gussets & axle truss would be the only thing else I'd add if you already got the chrome moly shafts.

JKFlyer

This may be the route that I take in the future. What are the best options to beef everything up to keep the carnage down? I definitly would like to avoid towing haha:thumb:

C gussetts at minimum. Sleeving jury is out....but I did anyway.

Really get a pr44 if u can afford it

robx251

Caught the Bug
Running 4.88 and 35s on a 3.8. With the 6spd. Works very well.

904Jeep

In my opinion I say it depends on what your going to be doing with your jeep. For me I went with 5.13's on 35's on my 2dr automatic. I'd say I get a chance to go wheeling once or twice month, and when I do its usually mud, mild rock gardens, and hill climbs. Never had a problem with a lack of power on or off the road and it sure makes for a fun daily driver. I say I spend about 90% of my miles in city driving. However the general consensus seems to be that if your going to be doing more "technical" or "extreme" wheeling where you may be locked up, low gear, and high RPMS, then you should stick with 4.88's to play it safe. Might also have better gas mileage too with 4.88's by keeping the RPMS lower, particularly if you put on a lot of highway miles. I current get 13mpg with my setup.

Woogi

Since Matt seems to have gotten his questioned answered,

What are the thoughts on 4.88 with 32-33" tires? My thought with staying close to stock tire size was I would have two sets of wheels. One with say BFT MT, and one with Goodyear Wranger. I would keep the wranglers on 95% of the time, but switch to the less road friendly, more costly BFG's when planning to wheel.

Also, thoughts on the following quote:

Ziplockers installed front and rear
regear to 4.88
sleeve and gusset the front D30 axle

Total ~$3400

Thanks again, and as this is my first post, and I HOPE to have my 2007 JKU this weekend, I am looking forward to this!

steve_r2

Since Matt seems to have gotten his questioned answered,

What are the thoughts on 4.88 with 32-33" tires? My thought with staying close to stock tire size was I would have two sets of wheels. One with say BFT MT, and one with Goodyear Wranger. I would keep the wranglers on 95% of the time, but switch to the less road friendly, more costly BFG's when planning to wheel.

Also, thoughts on the following quote:

Ziplockers installed front and rear
regear to 4.88
sleeve and gusset the front D30 axle

Total ~$3400

Thanks again, and as this is my first post, and I HOPE to have my 2007 JKU this weekend, I am looking forward to this!
Woogi,
I run 4.88s with 33's (09 Auto JKU).....was the best upgrade I have done. If you want to get back some ooooommmpppphhh then this is a good way to go. Be aware that as cozdude said you do run the risk of a break if you go 5.13 due to a smaller pinion.

Top Bottom