Best CAI for 3.6 Penestar?

alexochoa93

I have done some research but there is just so many different brands out there wanted to see what you guys where running and what feedback you have on it thanks, Alex

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The best one is called "gears". Seriously, don't waste your money on a CAI. Put the money towards gears instead.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Yeah I'm seeing that it's not a big difference might just drop in a k&n panel filter an call it a day.

I wouldn't even do that, not gonna be gaining anything. I know their washable, but you can replace your air filter numerous times for what you'd spend on a K&N drop-in. Although since you live in dusty Texas, you'd benefit more from the K&N than I would here in Missouri.

huggysjk

I have a banks and it is damn nice!! When you floor it sounds like a supercharger! Definitely notice and feel the difference with it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The best one is called "gears". Seriously, don't waste your money on a CAI. Put the money towards gears instead.

^^^^ this. Gears is the best thing to do. You will see little to no gains from a CAI.That being said I have an AIRAID on mine. If nothing else it sounds sweet!

Sent from my iPhone

JKWrang

^^^^ this. Gears is the best thing to do. You will see little to no gains from a CAI.That being said I have an AIRAID on mine. If nothing else it sounds sweet!

Sent from my iPhone

"Thats a lot of money for sweet sound"

Quote from my buddy who tunes BMWs when I told him I was thinking about a throttle body spacer. These gizmos DO sound nice and I totally want them in my JKU, but like was said before... gearing is a priority for me. And new tires.

That said... volant and aFe make great products

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

TarheelVeteran

I have a Banks as well... the enclosed system... The Banks combined with the Flashpaq and Magnoflow Axelback exhaust definitely makes a difference. Dyno is giving me about 26HP...but I have the 3.8

For the $260 bucks for the Banks.. I think it's worth it.

THV

KPM171

I've got a Volant PowerCore Intake intake and a AFE MACH Force Exhaust. It's not going to give you the crazy difference that dropping in a set of 4.88's or 5.13's will off the line, but it's also not going to put a black hole in your wallet to do these two mods. That said, I like my intake/exhaust combo and I can feel the difference. In addition, it sounds really nice both at idle (exhaust) and when you get on it (intake). I still hope to regear someday, but for now I'm enjoying the intake/exhaust combo.

Bacon

I have a Banks as well... the enclosed system... The Banks combined with the Flashpaq and Magnoflow Axelback exhaust definitely makes a difference. Dyno is giving me about 26HP...but I have the 3.8

For the $260 bucks for the Banks.. I think it's worth it.

THV

Which program on the flashpaq do you use for this combination?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What he said ^^^. If I could, I would still be running a factory air filter because nothing keeps the dust out better. ttfhell was running a dealer installed MOPAR CAI and it ruined his engine - way too much dirt got in and it is NOT getting warrantied. I run an AIRAID and like the sound of it but only have it so that I could install a PSC ram assist. As far as performance gains go, you cannot just take in more air and expect to do much for you unless you give it a way to get out as well with headers and a high flow exhaust.

TarheelVeteran

What he said ^^^. If I could, I would still be running a factory air filter because nothing keeps the dust out better. ttfhell was running a dealer installed MOPAR CAI and it ruined his engine - way too much dirt got in and it is NOT getting warrantied. I run an AIRAID and like the sound of it but only have it so that I could install a PSC ram assist. As far as performance gains go, you cannot just take in more air and expect to do much for you unless you give it a way to get out as well with headers and a high flow exhaust.

Agreed... You need to give it a way out as well... I'm not sure about the Penstar.. but I think you need to be a little careful about headers/high flow.... the 3.8 likes a little back pressure.... so changing the headers would potentially do more harm than good.. that's why I left the stock headers and just added the Magnaflow.

I suppose if you have the money.. do the gears first.. but in my opinion.. I plan on doing both (gear and CAI/Exhaust) anyway.. and since I got a great deal on the CAI/Exhaust now.. that's what I did first.

and on the 3.8L... I'm seeing a 15-20% increase in HP.. plus MPG improvement of about 1-2 MPG... that justified my cash layout...

Last edited:
Top Bottom