Which fenders are better for the price

projectMMTB

Should I get Bushwacker flat fenders or bite the bullet and get Poison Spyder crusher flares (double the price)? Looking for opinions and people who have experience with both.

utiadam

LOSER
I would go with MCE fenders over the bushwacker ones. Poison spyder or genright are both really nice though.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Cut your stock ones!

^^^this^^^

Although some aftermarket fenders look nice, that's about all I can say about them. I say invest some time in cutting your stockers to the shape you want them, then invest the money you were going to use for aftermarket flares and put it towards another mod, bumper, winch, wheels, tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
None of the above. The Poison Spider fenders are about the nicest looking steel tube fender you can get but, I have seen them take a hard hit and do well BUT, ended up transferring the energy to the body and do considerable damage. I have run the Bushwackers and they are about the most factory set of flat fenders you can get but for the money, I personally would just trim your factory fenders. The later is FREE and will fold, bend and tear off well before they do any body damage. EVO has the MCE's installed on their JK and while the quality of them look nice, they are crazy expensive for what you can have for free with trimmed fenders. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I was walking through the parking lot at work the other day and there was this TJ that had the Bushwhacker pocket flares on one side. After closer inspection, the mounting hardware was still installed with pieces of the flare still attached. the owner just spend $$$$ on something that was ripped off and cannot be used again. I am with the others who say cut your stock flares. I have not cut mine yet as I am waiting on bigger tires. Once the new shoes come then the next mod will be trimming fender flares.

R/
Will

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
My vote is for Poison Spyder flares. But if you're leaning towards Bushwacker, also check these out from Rugged Ridge. They look a lot like the factory chopped that everyone's a fan of, but they have cleaner lines IMO.

All Terrain Flat Fender Flare Kit, 07-13 Jeep Wrangler

mango-jk-11620_10.jpg

projectMMTB

None of the above. The Poison Spider fenders are about the nicest looking steel tube fender you can get but, I have seen them take a hard hit and do well BUT, ended up transferring the energy to the body and do considerable damage. I have run the Bushwackers and they are about the most factory set of flat fenders you can get but for the money, I personally would just trim your factory fenders. The later is FREE and will fold, bend and tear off well before they do any body damage. EVO has the MCE's installed on their JK and while the quality of them look nice, they are crazy expensive for what you can have for free with trimmed fenders. Of course, that's just my opinion.

What fenders do you run on Moby Dick?

kornchip

Hey cozdude im thinkin about trimming mine this spring. How are the cops in PA regarding the trimmed flares?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey cozdude im thinkin about trimming mine this spring. How are the cops in PA regarding the trimmed flares?

i havent had any issues yet and they have been behind me plenty of times. just make sure that you keep the fender as wide as possible. lift laws say the tire cant stick out more than 3"

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
What fenders do you run on Moby Dick?

Trimmed factory I believe. He's posted videos before on the forum showing either Moby or Rubicat both tearing off the trimmed factory and bouncing off obstacles. If you think you're going to be doing that kind of wheeling, the trimmed factory is best. But if you're not and you prefer something a little cleaner (IMO), you can't beat the PSC ones.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have been happy with my bushwackers so far, yes they are a little expensive but for me at the time, thats what I wanted and was worried about inspections and such and tire clearance. That being said, once it ever warms up here I will be cutting my stock flares for a new look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been happy with my bushwackers so far, yes they are a little expensive but for me at the time, thats what I wanted and was worried about inspections and such and tire clearance. That being said, once it ever warms up here I will be cutting my stock flares for a new look.

If you live in a state where fender width is an issue, the Bushwackers are a great way to go. Being that they are factory fender width, they will still cover your tires well and give you the clearance you need for bigger tires. I was very happy with the ones I had.

Top Bottom