Rubi locker upgrade

TBird

So I have tried searching for a clear answer on what lockers work in the jk rubi axles. I have a 2014 JKUR and when I get the 37's rolling I'd like to have upgraded axles, but I also want to install some selectable front and rear rockers. I don't want to upgrade axles and then they dont fit in the new lockers(I wanna keep the stock ones for spares). So basically what I want to know, is what will and will not work with the jkr axle housings?

Ideally I'd like front and rear elockers from Eaton (I'm all about electrical stuff) but would settle for ARB if they won't work. Thing is the 35 spline axles you need are more than my last two vehicles lol I don't live in Utah so its only gonna do any rock crawling maybe once a year and mud/trails the rest of the time, just wanna protect my daily since 37's are kinda hard on parts.

Ideas anyone? I need something durable/reliable that works with stock axles or at least not the gold-plated ones.

Attachments

• 1393722898236.jpg
    1393722898236.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 267

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have not done it so I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that ARB's can be installed on Rubicon axles with factory spline count shafts. But, I'll make a call and try to confirm this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, just heard back and verified that ARB does NOT make what you're looking for. Sorry.

TBird

Wow I appreciate you going out of your way to help out. I didnt think they did from what I could gather. What setup are you running then?? I don't like how the computer says when the diff's lock but I also don't have a mountain down my street :p I'm pretty sure the elockers work with stock for the rear diff but I have found nothing about the front (if you think I need one with 37's)

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
So I have tried searching for a clear answer on what lockers work in the jk rubi axles. I have a 2014 JKUR and when I get the 37's rolling I'd like to have upgraded axles, but I also want to install some selectable front and rear rockers. I don't want to upgrade axles and then they dont fit in the new lockers(I wanna keep the stock ones for spares). So basically what I want to know, is what will and will not work with the jkr axle housings?

Ideally I'd like front and rear elockers from Eaton (I'm all about electrical stuff) but would settle for ARB if they won't work. Thing is the 35 spline axles you need are more than my last two vehicles lol I don't live in Utah so its only gonna do any rock crawling maybe once a year and mud/trails the rest of the time, just wanna protect my daily since 37's are kinda hard on parts.

Ideas anyone? I need something durable/reliable that works with stock axles or at least not the gold-plated ones.

Love the color btw :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wow I appreciate you going out of your way to help out. I didnt think they did from what I could gather. What setup are you running then?? I don't like how the computer says when the diff's lock but I also don't have a mountain down my street :p I'm pretty sure the elockers work with stock for the rear diff but I have found nothing about the front (if you think I need one with 37's)

I know some people have installed a bypass switch for the lockers. There was a post on here fairly recently by someone who did it. If I see it I'll link it.

Moochie

I have used my E-lockers for 4 years (front), 5 years (rear). Last year I upgraded to a ProRock front and it has an ARB in it now. I still have my E-locker in the rear and it is working fine. Lots of miles on it (75,000). I did have my rear carrier replaced under factory warranty at about 25,000 miles, at the time with OEM 4:10 gears.
Front locker was replaced with another OEM at 55,000 miles.

Most of these miles with 35's - 37's.
I never had the need to use lockers in anything other than 4 Lo.

TBird

I have used my E-lockers for 4 years (front), 5 years (rear). Last year I upgraded to a ProRock front and it has an ARB in it now. I still have my E-locker in the rear and it is working fine. Lots of miles on it (75,000). I did have my rear carrier replaced under factory warranty at about 25,000 miles, at the time with OEM 4:10 gears.
Front locker was replaced with another OEM at 55,000 miles.

Most of these miles with 35's - 37's.
I never had the need to use lockers in anything other than 4 Lo.

Are you talking factory lockers or actual Eaton's? Do you have Rubicon axles or sports? And are both front and rear pumpkins the same part number?

My main concern about the factory lockers is reliability if say I went down to moab for a weekend with chromoly axles and 37's.

Armydog

so i have tried searching for a clear answer on what lockers work in the jk rubi axles. I have a 2014 jkur and when i get the 37's rolling i'd like to have upgraded axles, but i also want to install some selectable front and rear rockers. I don't want to upgrade axles and then they dont fit in the new lockers(i wanna keep the stock ones for spares). So basically what i want to know, is what will and will not work with the jkr axle housings?

Ideally i'd like front and rear elockers from eaton (i'm all about electrical stuff) but would settle for arb if they won't work. Thing is the 35 spline axles you need are more than my last two vehicles lol i don't live in utah so its only gonna do any rock crawling maybe once a year and mud/trails the rest of the time, just wanna protect my daily since 37's are kinda hard on parts.

very nice truck!!!

Moochie

Are you talking factory lockers or actual Eaton's? Do you have Rubicon axles or sports? And are both front and rear pumpkins the same part number?

My main concern about the factory lockers is reliability if say I went down to moab for a weekend with chromoly axles and 37's.

Factory Rubicon lockers - Rubicon axles upgraded to Chromoly front and rear axle shafts. When I went with the ProRock / ARB, I changed the front to 35 spline RCV shafts.
Like I said previously, 75,000 miles on my rear factory locker. Reliable but, there is always the possibility of damage depending on conditions. Plenty of tough trails.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've done some research on this. As far as I can tell, the new Eaton 4 elocker (part #19977-010) will work as a direct replacement for the front Rubicon differential. For the rear, its a different story. The rubicon shafts are 32 spline and the Eaton is 30 spline. I can't think of a selectable electronic locker that you'd be able to replace your OEM with for the rear, but maybe Eaton will come out with one down the road. For what it's worth, I wheel with a few friends who have rubicons and 37s and they've run them pretty hard. Still holding up after a few years.

TBird

Are Rubicon shafts the same diameter as regular ones? Axle tubes are the same so I'd think maybe. If that is so then I could see it working in front and rear. But If stock ones hold up good then maybe I'll leave it or just put it further down the list haha

Moochie

Are Rubicon shafts the same diameter as regular ones? Axle tubes are the same so I'd think maybe. If that is so then I could see it working in front and rear. But If stock ones hold up good then maybe I'll leave it or just put it further down the list haha

Drive it till you have to upgrade. Lots of people run 37's with factory lockers.

I ran 37's with factory lockers for about 10k miles and done some pretty hard wheeling and never had a problem. Im gonna run them till I have to change them. No reason to spend the money now when its not needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TBird

How about regearing though? Do the 3.6's handle the 37's fairly good with 4.10's? I would like to regear but I'd rather do it once on the lockers. Are we at 20 questions yet? Lol

How about regearing though? Do the 3.6's handle the 37's fairly good with 4.10's? I would like to regear but I'd rather do it once on the lockers. Are we at 20 questions yet? Lol

I ran awhile with 4.10's and it wasnt real bad, but I went to 5.13's and its a whole different jeep. I would highly recommend re gearing to 5.13's with 37's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

You should be able to do either the Eaton or ARB in the rear. I have a Sport D44 and have an ARB in it, don't see why they wouldn't make one for the Rubi D44 rear.

I'm not sure about the fitament of the ARB and Eaton, but Ox is another option that you should check into. I think they can be air or power actuated (if you don't like air).

As others have said though, no real reason to replace your factory lockers if they haven't shown any sign of failure. The Eaton is an E-locker so will operate very similarly to the factory locker. An ARB (or Ox with air) would offer noticeable improvement when turning it on and off. Imo more important in the front because you may want to turn it off to turn a corner. With the rear, you can just leave it on.

I'm also looking into this, but my front D44 is sleeved, so I have more limited options (don't sleeve the front).

For the gears, most would probably say 5.13 would be ideal for 37's. 4.88 might also be a consideration if it's more of a daily driver.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
I'm also looking into this, but my front D44 is sleeved, so I have more limited options (don't sleeve the front).

For the gears, most would probably say 5.13 would be ideal for 37's. 4.88 might also be a consideration if it's more of a daily driver.

Will RCV rubicon replacement shafts work with the Evo sleeves? Is it only an issue going to the 35 spline for ARB lockers?

suicideking

Will RCV rubicon replacement shafts work with the Evo sleeves? Is it only an issue going to the 35 spline for ARB lockers?

I'm fairly certain you can still get the RCV shafts. I got G2 chromoly front and rear because I don't really see the need for the RCV. The problem is that you can't get the 35 spline after you sleeve. I think the front had to be 32(?) which eliminates the 35 spline ARB and maybe the Eaton. So I'll be looking at the Ox if that's an option, but only when the OEM locker starts to show signs of failing. I already have OBA for my rear ARB.

When the time comes, I might also just try to get a hold of another OEM locker if I can get one in near new condition. It works, just doesn't lock/unlock as fast an an air locker would.

utiadam

LOSER
I'm fairly certain you can still get the RCV shafts. I got G2 chromoly front and rear because I don't really see the need for the RCV. The problem is that you can't get the 35 spline after you sleeve. I think the front had to be 32(?) which eliminates the 35 spline ARB and maybe the Eaton. So I'll be looking at the Ox if that's an option, but only when the OEM locker starts to show signs of failing. I already have OBA for my rear ARB.

When the time comes, I might also just try to get a hold of another OEM locker if I can get one in near new condition. It works, just doesn't lock/unlock as fast an an air locker would.

cool, thanks! I can see the benefit of the RCV shafts in the front but does anyone know why the rear RCV shafts are so pricey? I think Ill do RCV front and either G2 or 10 Factory in the rear.

Top Bottom